New and need some input

TOAD.4718

Hello I am new and need some input. I have looked a lot into the meta battle builds and such but there doesn't seem to be a lot of builds built for PvE that use the longbow...is it just not possible to make a viable end game PvE Ranger build using the long bow or do people just not use it because others are simply better? I know I plan to PvP a lot end game and there are some PvP builds there but I'd definitely like to avoid a ton of switching gear and stuff completely around between the two. I'd prefer to just switch a few things when going from PvE to PvP. 

I know it sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it too(to be fair I am) but is it possible?

• Haha 1

For structured PvP you don't need to worry about gear. The type of weapon you're using determines the weapon skills but other than that it's all unique - your stats and upgrades are set in the PvP build menu and not affected by what you use in PvE. In World vs World your gear does matter but I think a lot of people who use the same character for WvW and PvE choose stats for WvW and make it work in PvE or use gear tabs to keep two sets equipped.

I don't follow meta builds but I suspect longbow ranger isn't popular for end-game PvE because it really needs to be used at long range (the auto-attack is actually weaker at close range) and on the rare occasions there's enough room you still need to stay close to your party to share boons. Add in the fact that skill 4 is a knockback which is rarely useful in groups (and needs to be used carefully even then) and skill 3 is a basic attack that gives you stealth (which will be removed next time you attack) and you're down to 2 useful skills. I'm sure it's possible to complete fractals, strikes, probably even raids using a longbow but other choices will be better and probably more fun.

Good weapons are relatively easy to get in this game, especially if you just want it for open-world PvE and PvP, then you can use an exotic longbow instead of making an ascended one.  So you could have a longbow for playing on your own and something else for end-game groups. The one thing to bear in mind is longbow is a power weapon, so if you want to use the same stats for that and other things you should look at power-based builds rather than condition based ones.

Longbow is a viable choice for power soulbeast, however it is more of a secondary weapon alongside axe/axe (just like any other weapon that can be paired with axes, which are ranger's best dps weapons). If you want to camp longbow and pew pew from range, you are out of luck, that simply doesn't work well for endgame PvE (or any type of content where your performance matters).

9 hours ago, TOAD.4718 said:

Hello I am new and need some input. I have looked a lot into the meta battle builds and such but there doesn't seem to be a lot of builds built for PvE that use the longbow...is it just not possible to make a viable end game PvE Ranger build using the long bow or do people just not use it because others are simply better? I know I plan to PvP a lot end game and there are some PvP builds there but I'd definitely like to avoid a ton of switching gear and stuff completely around between the two. I'd prefer to just switch a few things when going from PvE to PvP. 

I know it sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it too(to be fair I am) but is it possible?

Hey, I've mained ranger since the day this game launched. In end game PvE (raids/fractals/strikes etc) in most situations you won't be able to use range, regardless of class. Prior to untamed release and nerfs we received to one wolf pack and unique effects like spotter/frost spirit being turned into boons, longbow was part of the power DPS build for group content with soulbeast. However, even in that situation it was used in melee.

To understand this, you will have to remember that giving and receiving support is more important to both your personal and group dps. You get this by stacking with/nearby your group for all boons, heals, etc. By positioning yourself at max range or far enough away from your allies, you now have lowered your damage, eliminated support to your allies, and increased the burden on healers who now have to heal at multiple locations (if they choose not to let you die). 

Good news is, longbow and range is perfectly viable for openworld PvE and WvW (pvp). 

5 hours ago, Strider.7849 said:

Hey, I've mained ranger since the day this game launched. In end game PvE (raids/fractals/strikes etc) in most situations you won't be able to use range, regardless of class. Prior to untamed release and nerfs we received to one wolf pack and unique effects like spotter/frost spirit being turned into boons, longbow was part of the power DPS build for group content with soulbeast. However, even in that situation it was used in melee.

To understand this, you will have to remember that giving and receiving support is more important to both your personal and group dps. You get this by stacking with/nearby your group for all boons, heals, etc. By positioning yourself at max range or far enough away from your allies, you now have lowered your damage, eliminated support to your allies, and increased the burden on healers who now have to heal at multiple locations (if they choose not to let you die). 

Good news is, longbow and range is perfectly viable for openworld PvE and WvW (pvp). 

Ty this is very helpful. So can you gear up without doing Raids,Dungeons and Fractals or are they absolutely necessary? My end game goal is mostly WvW PvP but I want to be geared as well.

30 minutes ago, TOAD.4718 said:

Ty this is very helpful. So can you gear up without doing Raids,Dungeons and Fractals or are they absolutely necessary? My end game goal is mostly WvW PvP but I want to be geared as well.

You can absolutely gear up without running a single Raid, Dungeon, or Fractal. Almost every set of armor in the game can be crafted, and if your main end game goal is WvW, your best bet will be to eventually get the WvW legendary armor, which can more or less be acquired entirely in WvW (you'll probably need to mix some PvE in there though to acquire gold to purchase some of the other materials needed for the legendary set though).