A better way to fix rifle

Kuma.1503

From a purely fun perspective. Making the rifle shoot 3 bullets instead of one was one of the best changes Engineer has gotten in a long time. 

It didn't actually make the weapon stronger, but it made it feel so much better to use. Do not remove this. This was a good change that should be preserved. 

This change does cause one minor problem. The animation. 

It looks janky, especially with quickness. This isn't an issue with the three round burst. This type of weapon exists in all types of media, there are plenty of  examples of this working in other games. 

The reason why it doesn't in GW2 is beause of the recoil animation. 

You jerk backwards after every bullet. This causes your character to spasm every time you press 1. Instead of removing a bullet, keep the three round burst and tweak the recoil animation so that you only recoil after the first and last bullet.

This would make the animation look much better without removing the fun part of the weapon. 

RP wise, this could be explained by the gun causing recoil on the first shot, quickly firing off a second, then another burst of recoil as it launches the grenade. Problem solved, no need to remove a bullet. 

For PvP, if we really need to nerf the auto attack, just transfer some power from the auto attack onto blunderbuss. This puts more focus on getting up close and personal to land your combos instead of firing from range, rewarding players who are willing to take risks. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 5
  • Confused 4

how about the obvious change, we basically use a shotgun so why doesn't the rifle just fire all 3 shots simultaniously rather than one at a time? and then make it unblockable when within 300 range of the enemy.

half the complaints are because of the rapid fire making it harder to dodge effectively.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stalima.5490 said:

how about the obvious change, we basically use a shotgun so why doesn't the rifle just fire all 3 shots simultaniously rather than one at a time? and then make it unblockable when within 300 range of the enemy.

half the complaints are because of the rapid fire making it harder to dodge effectively.

A shotgun acting like a shotgun?

Whats next, a pistol being nimble and fast?

You're delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/29/2022 at 12:13 AM, Stalima.5490 said:

Shotgun rifle... would love this. It would make sense then if there was a DPS drop off the further away your target is.  

That does bring up the question of what to do to blunderbuss. How do we make it distinct from the auto attack. My first thought is to  have it slide us back ever so slightly and do a tiny bit more damage than it does now. So it feels like a more powerful shot with extra recoil. 

The more I think about it the more fun it sounds. 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:26 AM, Kuma.1503 said:

Shotgun rifle... would love this. It would make sense then if there was a DPS drop off the further away your target is.  

That does bring up the question of what to do to blunderbuss. How do we make it distinct from the auto attack. My first thought is to  have it slide us back ever so slightly and do a tiny bit more damage than it does now. So it feels like a more powerful shot with extra recoil. 

The more I think about it the more fun it sounds. 

I would be for this funny enough if it meant the dps was the same. We have to be within 450 anyways for the trait, so I would be fine with shotgun? rifle? change. Honestly, I am just going to say shotgun since that is what it is. The three rounds or four now could be considered pellets for all I care. ( I play shotguns a lot in shooters, so 4 pellets at once within 300 would make sense because right now with the 2 rounds we are more or less shooting slugs.)

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345