Open World Content - Power Build or Condition Build?

What's the most effective way of dealing with Open World Content (Group of Minions, Champion Mobs).

For istance, I have a Guardian with DragonHunter Power Build and I'm doing ok, most of the times it works and If I want to bring down a Champion, it takes a while.

My 2nd Main is a Mirage Condi Mesmer (Axe/Pistol/Torch); I'm doing ok, maybe I can't deal with large group of minions and to bring down Champions, it takes time.

So, just for PvE, the most efficient way to deal damage? Power or Conditions?

1 hour ago, Fade to Shadow.4579 said:

So, just for PvE, the most efficient way to deal damage? Power or Conditions?

It depends on the profession and spec selected, but both are valid choices for open world content. (I love my Condition Virtuoso and Condition/hybrid Ranger.)

In general, most people will likely favor Power over Condition, as there are a more build options for that and burst damage is often helpful to deal quickly with OW enemies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

For OW content power is better in general than condi because people on their raptors will take out large portions of the mob HP bars with the engage skill. Condi is okay so long as you are able to several stacks on quickly and get a tick in, though you'll most likely get credit for anything you tag because of the initial strike damage of the skill. For Vets and above your condi will tick at least once, so you're more likely to get credit there.

For Champs and meta bosses, condi has time to ramp up and be useful.

There is nothing stopping you from running a hybrid build though, or using build/equipment templates to switch as needed.

Power builds. You will "waste" too many Condi stacks on small opponents that die quickly and very likely not have Condi spikes ready for every engagement or wave coming at you. Power builds usually are more controllable and  for Elite and Champion level mobs on demand break bar skills is what you should be aiming at.

• Like 2

Both are viable in open world for every profession.  I actually have a power build and condi build for every profession that I can easily run in the open world.

Power tends to burst open world mobs much faster.  However, and this cannot be understated, condition builds excel at the fade-away kills.  As in, burst a bunch of mobs then walk away as they die trying to chase you.  Remember, cool guys don't look at dying mobs, nor explosions.

When it comes to open world builds, the biggest deciding factor is what you find to be the most fun.  The content is easy enough that you can run whatever build (assuming it self-synergizes and has the correct gear stats). you want.  

Outside of open world, you'll want to specialize your builds, which is more limiting.