"Build diversity" do NOT exist

Axelteas.7192

Playing since 2012 beta nonstop is hard to not get bored. So the only thing that keeps me interested in the game is trying new different/weird builds.

Every weekend I spend all my resources anbd gold to try a different build, and in the sunday afternoon I got a depression from so much disapointment.

Before imaginig things about me stop,wait and read: I'm not inventing stupids builds like a fool, no. Before implementing an idea I search and read the forums and users who attempted before this rare builds, and their feedback. I only invest gear and gold to builds that other users said were viable.

Two weeks ago a troll said cele herald was overpowered at roaming wvw, so I geared a full celestial toon and it was so mediocre and disapointing.

The other week the same happened with a open world druid with cele/plaguedoctor gear.

The last weekend i tried the warrior berserker spec, replacing the classic Viper+rene runes +sword    by   Griever+flame legion runes+axe. The damage of axe was way better than the sword, but the burn was pathetic.

Every time I try something outside the Meta determined by Anet I end up frustrated.

I'm so tired of the situation. Because i'ts like systemic racism in the USA but in this case is about professions and the system is Anet: Guardian and Necro have privileges, thief, warrior and mesmer are the oppressed by the system and the rest are just middle class.

So my only option if I want to do pure damage is stick to the turbo-blenders Reaper and Dragonhunter and when I get bored quit to another game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 45

11 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Every time I try something outside the Meta determined by Anet I end up frustrated.

I'm so tired of the situation. Because i'ts like systemic racism in the USA but in this case is about professions and the system is Anet: Guardian and Necro have privileges, thief, warrior and mesmer are the oppressed by the system and the rest are just middle class.

How did you get from 1. (meta builds are better than non meta ones) to 2. (some professions are inherently better than others) i have no idea. How did you get from any of those to the idea that Reaper and Dragonhunter are somehow the "privileged class", i understand even less (hint: they're not. Reaper being nerved whenever it actually manages to get to decent levels is actually one of the running themes of this game since that espec got introduced). And the idea that Anet determines the meta (instead of just badly reacting to it) is even more laughable, as it would assume both having some kind of a balance design policy (and goals), and competency in executing those, which is not something Anet so far has been known for (at least as far as balance is considered).

I'm not saying that the class balance in this game is fine (because it's very far from it), but have you considered that in this specific case the issue might be with you?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

How did you get from 1. (meta builds are better than non meta ones) to 2. (some professions are inherently better than others) i have no idea. How did you get from any of those to the idea that Reaper and Dragonhunter are somehow the "privileged class", i understand even less (hint: they're not. Reaper being nerved whenever it actually manages to get to decent levels is actually one of the running themes of this game since that espec got introduced). And the idea that Anet determines the meta (instead of just badly reacting to it) is even more laughable, as it would assume both having some kind of a balance design policy (and goals), and competency in executing those, which is not something Anet so far has been known for (at least as far as balance is considered).

I'm not saying that the class balance in this game is fine (because it's very far from it), but have you considered that in this specific case the issue might be with you?

Your mind made the mistake to assume that I was referring to reaper and DH when I was talking at first about Guardian or Necro being privileged by Anet in general, this was one topic.

The DH and reaper was another topic, in the end, about excessive burst direct damage that other classes are'nt event capable to dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13

28 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Playing since 2012 beta nonstop is hard to not get bored. So the only thing that keeps me interested in the game is trying new different/weird builds.

Every weekend I spend all my resources anbd gold to try a different build, and in the sunday afternoon I got a depression from so much disapointment.

Before imaginig things about me stop,wait and read: I'm not inventing stupids builds like a fool, no. Before implementing an idea I search and read the forums and users who attempted before this rare builds, and their feedback. I only invest gear and gold to builds that other users said were viable.

You need to do your research on other platforms than the ones you seem to be using. In general there are some dedicated build sites which are semi up to date (metabattle, hardstuck, snowcrows, luckynoobs, gwmists, discretize, etc. depending on what content you are search a build for) but even those sites will only represent a fraction of the builds currently in play and most importantly, many builds are situational and content specific.

Two weeks ago a troll said cele herald was overpowered at roaming wvw, so I geared a full celestial toon and it was so mediocre and disapointing.

Cele Herald was decently strong roamer in WvW, 2 years ago. It still remains decent against not optimized roaming builds (say a PvE player or someone on a squad build).

The other week the same happened with a open world druid with cele/plaguedoctor gear.

The question here is: what exactly is your goal? A cele druid will certainly be durable and able to sustain others in open world content. The damage will be mediocre at best, but that would also suffice for most open world content.

The last weekend i tried the warrior berserker spec, replacing the classic Viper+rene runes +sword    by   Griever+flame legion runes+axe. The damage of axe was way better than the sword, but the burn was pathetic.

I am really unsure where you are getting your builds from... Definitely switch to other sources and make sure to actually read some guides on how the build is supposed to work.

Anet doesn't decide or define the meta.

So my only option if I want to do pure damage is stick to the turbo-blenders Reaper and Dragonhunter and when I get bored quit to another game.

Neither Reaper nor DH are top tier in just about anything atm so I am unsure where your claim stems from. They are certainly easy to use.

There seems to be a lack of understanding and ability to evaluate a build on your part, which isn't a problem but it means you should try to switch to more trustworthy sources (and make sure they are up to date) when it comes to builds as well as try to read up a bit on the build you are creating/playing.

My recommendation:

- first off, wait for tomorrows patch to hit because things are bound to change for some classes

- second, decide on what your goal is for the build you are going for. Is it WvW, PvE, PvP and within those modes which subsections is it supposed to fit? These might be PvE open world, fractals, raids/strikes,WvW roaming versus squad and Spvp dueler or team build

- third make sure you understand what you are building towards, ideally with a guide at hand by the person who created the build

- try to use exotic gear first to get a feel for the build and see if you like it. Don't waste large amounts of resources on something you have no idea if you will enjoy

Good Luck

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Let me correct myself. Anet decides which profession can play all builds successfully and others dont. If Anet doesnt decide this, then is a systemic failure.

For example guardian CAN fulfill successfully all the roles (meaning DPS, support, boons, condi dmg) practically every build and stast combination can be useful in the appropriate situation.

This doesnt happen for other professions.

If you deliver a new stat combination, be sure it will work for all the professions, this is the build diversity. If my thief can only use berserker and viper there's not build diversity in here.

Edited by Axelteas.7192
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You need to do your research on other platforms than the ones you seem to be using. In general there are some dedicated build sites which are semi up to date (metabattle, hardstuck, snowcrows, luckynoobs, gwmists, discretize, etc. depending on what content you are search a build for) but even those sites will only represent a fraction of the builds currently in play and most importantly, many builds are situational and content specific.

Cele Herald was decently strong roamer in WvW, 2 years ago. It still remains decent against not optimized roaming builds (say a PvE player or someone on a squad build).

The question here is: what exactly is your goal? A cele druid will certainly be durable and able to sustain others in open world content. The damage will be mediocre at best, but that would also suffice for most open world content.

I am really unsure where you are getting your builds from... Definitely switch to other sources and make sure to actually read some guides on how the build is supposed to work.

Neither Reaper nor DH are top tier in just about anything atm so I am unsure where your claim stems from. They are certainly easy to use.

There seems to be a lack of understanding and ability to evaluate a build on your part, which isn't a problem but it means you should try to switch to more trustworthy sources (and make sure they are up to date) when it comes to builds as well as try to read up a bit on the build you are creating/playing.

My recommendation:

- first off, wait for tomorrows patch to hit because things are bound to change for some classes

- second, decide on what your goal is for the build you are going for. Is it WvW, PvE, PvP and within those modes which subsections is it supposed to fit? These might be PvE open world, fractals, raids/strikes,WvW roaming versus squad and Spvp dueler or team build

- third make sure you understand what you are building towards, ideally with a guide at hand by the person who created the build

- try to use exotic gear first to get a feel for the build and see if you like it. Don't waste large amounts of resources on something you have no idea if you will enjoy

Good Luck

I wouldn't even say that DH is easy to use. You can pug stomp with both of them sure, but there's a massive difference between your average DH player and one who's mastered it. With reaper its moreso mastering the terrain and situational awareness since the class itself doesn't offer enough to handle difficult situations but its straightforward enough to where it doesn't require much thinking to deal damage only if you're allowed to live long enough to do so.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Just no. Discriminated is how I feel everyday in this game whenever I want to play offmeta and only find deception.

When some classes are the cool kids of Anet and others are forgotten, this is discrimination. Its not a secret that anet hates thief for example. And the racism comparison is legit.

Because the company claims to be progressive, making an effort to balance .... lol balance and build diversity are the 2 biggest lies in Gw2.

I've read main warriors, thiefs and mesmers quit after years and years of neglect and nerfs.

You hold up Reaper and Dragon Hunter as paragons when they qualify for the term mediocre that you use as a pejorative. Mesmer outclasses both of them for DPS, as does Warrior. I don't play thief except in open world and story but it does very well there.

Every class in the game is viable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Just no. Discriminated is how I feel everyday in this game whenever I want to play offmeta and only find deception.

When some classes are the cool kids of Anet and others are forgotten, this is discrimination. Its not a secret that anet hates thief for example. And the racism comparison is legit.

Because the company claims to be progressive, making an effort to balance .... lol balance and build diversity are the 2 biggest lies in Gw2.

I've read main warriors, thiefs and mesmers quit after years and years of neglect and nerfs.

I do not think I have a word or phrase to express just how wrong it is to compare people of color to thieves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

And this is why real racism and real discrimination is so difficult to perceive because of these kinds of false comparisons.  Shameful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Might i suggest you check out Lord Hizens' youtube channel? If your focus in in pve, he has builds for every class which are strong enough to solo legendary bounties, for example. Another youtuber to consider is mukluk who has some low-intensity (LI) builds for those times when you don't want a high apm (actions per minute) playstyle.

If you're constantly trying new builds maybe you shouldn't. Have you tried sticking to a build for a month and testing it in different situations? Changing one or two utilities or using a different weapon swap is encouraged if that helps you to beat whatever you're facing. It seems like you have unrealistic expectations tbh.

Also- your systemic racism comparison is completely out of place.

Also also- competitive players hate thieves because of their slipperiness through evades, teleports and stealth access.; it's not an Anet thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Okay, I'll bite the bait.

1. Cele Herald is about tankiness, but it needs a very high level of skill to pull that off in competitive modes. You have to be an expert at mana management either from other games, or from practicing this game.

2. I'm not sure what that Druid build is supposed to be? Druid is a healer, they're not built for damage. If you want to damage and heal then take Soulbeast with a supportive pet and you'll get almost as much mileage out of it in open-world, since it doesn't need 24/7 healing output like instanced content does.

3. Grieving Berserker with Flame Legion runes is a power spec, meant to do power damage with a standard rotation. The burning damage is just extra, mostly for instances where condi fares better (enemies that move alot, or are super tanky), and by the sounds of it you likely didn't properly max the duration to 100%.

It sounds entirely like you just don't know how to play builds.

For what its worth, I consider myself low-skilled player, who can't even manage rotations and usually just make low intensity builds and spam everything off cooldown, but I still invest alot of time into actually understanding how builds work so I can account for my weaknesses. For example I never use a straight meta build but I look at it and say "what am I not going to be able to pull off with this build" and then replace that part of it with something easier.

"Fake it until you make it." refers to knowing your limits, not being dishonest about them.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

That word you keep using, I don't think it means what you think it means.  By the way, thief and mesmer are not races.

So glad that many people marched, struggled, and fought, and died, and still do not only in the U.S. but all around the globe, so that someone in a video game can compare their pixels to the struggle for the right of basic human decency and equality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

Nothing wrong with offmeta and warriors/thieves/mesmers can easly tackle every content in the game. You seem to be misinformed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1