Profession specific abilities. Your thoughts?

SoulGuardian.6203

Your oppinion on profession specific abilities?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Your say:

• Yes, that would be interesting.
    • Nah. I don't think so.
    • Potato

The idea is to give each profession a unique ability.

Not skills, not passives, not traits; but a an action that would require that specific profession for certain tasks.

Examples:

The Ranger unique ability would be to mark targets and send its pet to seek it out. 

Also detect stealthed foes. 

Imagine playing wvw as a ranger and you want to kill a specific target.

When using that ability to mark the target, your pet could be commanded to alert you when it gets near; or order it to seek it out.

A thief could climb walls, use a grapple, and unlock doors.

Useful also in WvW to unlock gates in towers and Stonemist castle.

More ideas are welcome.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
Elaborate on the idea
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

• SoulGuardian.6203 changed the title to Profession specific abilities. Your thoughts?

No, "profession specific abilities" are already what their actual abilities and traits are.

Not to mention your provided examples are aimed at nothing more than straight up avoiding basic game's mechanics always, no mater what just because you're on x class, which is s pure nonsense to me. It's just nothing more than a request for unnecessary -and rather huge- power creep.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

If any profession, it should be Warrior that becomes immune to CC.

It's already be far the weakest profession with the least impact of the game. This means that permanent immunity to CC would cause the least harm, if it was Warrior.

But Guardian definitely does not need that.

But I voted for no, because I think no profession should be able to ignore game mechanics.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

So first thing; This would require them to add core abilities which means it will never happen.

Secondly; those sounds OP. 

But lets have some fun~ Anet's design philosophy for Thief is Stealth, Stealing, Flanking, Roleplay and Blind. Lets combine all those to form an ability.

Thief Ability = Sneaky Signet: Passive effect makes Thieves totally invisible on your screen if they are behind you, in your peripheral vision or crouching. Activating it up close reverse pickpockets a grenade into target's inventory that blows them up if it's not deleted in time.

• Haha 2

@Fueki.4753

Warrior defo needs something. 

A pink mini skirt, pompoms , and side ponytails.

... or some dignity... perhaps.

Or an elite skill/special ability wich would give it and surrounding party a few seconds of unvulnerability while using shield 5 and walking fowards.

I don't know. 

Thought this might spark a few ideas, but people have no imagination nor the desire to spice up the game.

They're too afraid of change.

It's like: no no no. Don't touch their profession or they'll have a panic attack.

And I'm the one who suffers from anxiety.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I don't know. 

Thought this might spark a few ideas, but people have no imagination nor the desire to spice up the game.

They're too afraid of change.

It's like: no no no. Don't touch their profession or they'll have a panic attack.

Just slapping broken passives on classes isn't spicing up anything. Each profession already has their passives in the form of traits. You just want more power creep here for no good reason.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Just slapping broken passives on classes isn't spicing up anything. Each profession already has their passives in the form of traits. You just want more power creep here for no good reason.

Giving each profession just one, and one only single skill/ability that none of the other professions have is not "power creep" and will make the game more interesting.

Did you read the suggestion I made on warrior, or are you just so hasty in replying that you haven't even stopped to think for a minute on the possibility? 

It is an early concept, and the examples I gave might not be the best, but consider this.

Warrior needs sime serious rework.

It's fact and everybody knows this.

While using shield 5, could walk fowards and give itself 10 allies unvulnerability for about 5 seconds.

This offcourse would take a long time to recharge.

Say 120 seconds.

They could still take damage if attacked from the back, unless another warrior was facing that direction.

Just take a second to consider this in metas and WvW.

Special abilities such as these would make the game more strategic and interesting. 

In reply to who said about perma stealth too.

You can already have perma stealth, if you have a couple of mesmers and a couple of thieves in your party.

I've seen great strategic plays in wvw with stealth.

This idea is not unfathomable. 

But off course, have all the fun you like.

That's what we're here for.

So why not?

Thieves could have the ability to stealth for a long time while planting bombs, as long as they don't attack.

Those bombs could do massive damage in wvw gates.

Rangers could have their canine pets sniff out an reveal an enemy.

They could be sent to chase and alert at the sight of a specific foe.

Say you put a target on a commander.

Everytime that target came within range, your pet would make a sound and place a red marker on the target.

I think abilities such as these would make the game a lot more fun and realistic.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Giving each profession just one, and one only single skill/ability that none of the other professions have is not "power creep" and will make the game more interesting.

Maybe (since if it's in any way meaningful, it's just a free addition, free buff, so it's clearly also a power creep by defualt), unless it's stupidly broken like what you've proposed. So it very clearly is.

21 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Did you read the suggestion I made on warrior, or are you just so hasty in replying that you haven't even stopped to think for a minute on the possibility? 

What you've proposed on warrior is a rework of a skill, not some class passive. And sure, I don't have much against reworking useless skills.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What you've proposed on warrior is a rework of a skill, not some class passive. And sure, I don't have much against reworking useless skills.

It's an unique ability that would trigger on that specific skill usage.

No passive effects.

The Ranger unique ability would be to mark targets and send its pet to seek it out. 

Also detect stealthed foes. 

Imagine playing wvw as a ranger and you want to kill a specific target.

When using that ability to mark the target, your pet could be commanded to alert you when it gets near; or order it to seek it out.

How can this not appeal to you?

Unless you don't play a ranger.

7 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

But lets have some fun~ Anet's design philosophy for Thief is Stealth, Stealing, Flanking, Roleplay and Blind. Lets combine all those to form an ability.

Thief Ability = Sneaky Signet: Passive effect makes Thieves totally invisible on your screen if they are behind you, in your peripheral vision or crouching. Activating it up close reverse pickpockets a grenade into target's inventory that blows them up if it's not deleted in time.

It's...😢... it's so beautiful...

I mean, as a thief I love helping people.  And, well, people like grenades.  So the stealth makes it really easy for me to move around and help with the grenade giving.  Then there'll be lots of happy people with grenades in their pockets!  Isn't that a .... what's this?  Ah, the pin... oops...

To continue the completely not serious profession abilities.

Warriors are very direct, simple in execution, and fight with ways to get into a fight and stay there.  So the Warrior ability is a shielded recliner.  It's a leap attack that stuns nearby foes with a channeling cast.  During the channel, the warrior breaks out a recliner, sits back, and relaxes to the smooth atmospheric vibes of ABSOLUTE CARNAGE AND VIOLENCE.  Oh, and there's shields, because why not? 

This is just next-level cringe.

All profession skills are already unique.

No other profession can use the skills on warrior-shield. If you equip a shield on guardian or chrono or herald, it has different skills. Making it grant group-invuln wouldn't make it any more "specific" or "unique" to warrior than it already is. It would just be a massive buff to an already existing skill.

Only guardians can use Virtues. Only thieves can use Steal. Only mesmers can use clones/shatters. etc etc etc. 

The game already consists of 100% "profession specific abilities".

Hey, I've got an amazing "new idea" of allowing players to equip different weapons, with different stats? Maybe equipping a different weapon would give different attacks? I'm so creative. Maybe players should be allowed to choose "traits" to customise their builds, wauw, what an original thought. I would also like to propose that some skills grant temporary buffs, I'm going to suggest we call these "boons". iamverysmart

On 11/29/2022 at 6:42 PM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

While using shield 5, could walk fowards and give itself 10 allies unvulnerability for about 5 seconds.

This offcourse would take a long time to recharge.

Say 120 seconds.

They could still take damage if attacked from the back, unless another warrior was facing that direction.

This is literally DH Shield of Courage. Your suggestion to give warrior something "profession specific" is to give it the exact same skill another profession has. This has to be satire, right?

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 10:23 AM, Ragnar.4257 said:

This is just next-level cringe.

All profession skills are already unique.

No other profession can use the skills on warrior-shield. If you equip a shield on guardian or chrono or herald, it has different skills. Making it grant group-invuln wouldn't make it any more "specific" or "unique" to warrior than it already is. It would just be a massive buff to an already existing skill.

Only guardians can use Virtues. Only thieves can use Steal. Only mesmers can use clones/shatters. etc etc etc. 

The game already consists of 100% "profession specific abilities".

Hey, I've got an amazing "new idea" of allowing players to equip different weapons, with different stats? Maybe equipping a different weapon would give different attacks? I'm so creative. Maybe players should be allowed to choose "traits" to customise their builds, wauw, what an original thought. I would also like to propose that some skills grant temporary buffs, I'm going to suggest we call these "boons". iamverysmart

This is literally DH Shield of Courage. Your suggestion to give warrior something "profession specific" is to give it the exact same skill another profession has. This has to be satire, right?

You're not getting the concept idea.

Did you even read my OP or just skipped it entirely after the poll?

The idea is to give each profession an unique ability, not skill, that no other profession has.

Traits and skill, boons, etc; those are things that all other professions also have.

Mention one class and ES that cannot generate might, fury, etc... 

Name one that cannot inflict conditions. 

Exactly. 

Right then, now that we're clear, can we please stop mentioning traits, and skills?

I'm talking about a unique ability, such as the one I mentioned several times, about ranger marking a target and command the pet to alert or seek it out.

You got stuck on skills and traits, and can't seem to wrap your head around the concept I'm trying to bring up here.

So, not passives, not skills, not traits, but a unique ability.

Here's another example :

Thieves could actually unlock doors, or climb walls.

This could be useful in WvW or main open world.

I think I'll edit the OP and try explain it better;  cause it seems that people are failing to understand the idea here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You're not getting the concept idea.

Did you even read my OP or just skipped it entirely after the poll?

The idea is to give each profession an unique ability, not skill, that no other profession has.

Traits and skill, boons, etc; those are things that all other professions also have.

Mention one class and ES that cannot generate might, fury, etc... 

Name one that cannot inflict conditions. 

Exactly. 

Right then, now that we're clear, can we please stop mentioning traits, and skills?

I'm talking about a unique ability, such as the one I mentioned several times, about ranger marking a target and command the pet to alert or seek it out.

You got stuck on skills and traits, and can't seem to wrap your head around the concept I'm trying to bring up here.

So, not passives, not skills, not traits, but a unique ability.

Here's another example :

Thieves could actually unlock doors, or climb walls.

This could be useful in WvW or main open world.

I think I'll edit the OP and try explain it better;  cause it seems that people are failing to understand the idea here.

I look forward to your explanation of why, for instance, Chrono being able to reset time back to a previous state, something that no other class can do, is only a "skill" and doesn't count as a "unique ability". Or ranger being able to command its pet to go and revive an ally, which sounds very similar to your proposed new ranger 'ability' (which is suspiciously close in function to Sic'Em) doesn't it? Or necros being able to corrupt boons into conditions. etc etc. No other class can do that. Why is that not a "unique ability" ?

You're just using the word "ability" instead of the word "skill" and pretending that using a different word makes them different, but functionally its the same thing. Press button -> thing happens. All you're proposing here is to add 1 additional skill to each profession, and are being pedantic about calling it an "ability" and not a "skill".

Not to mention that some of the examples you're proposing are hilariously overpowered. Thieves being able to open gates in WvW? Really?

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2022 at 7:45 PM, Ragnar.4257 said:

I look forward to your explanation of why, for instance, Chrono being able to reset time back to a previous state, something that no other class can do, is only a "skill" and doesn't count as a "unique ability". Or ranger being able to command its pet to go and revive an ally, which sounds very similar to your proposed new ranger 'ability' (which is suspiciously close in function to Sic'Em) doesn't it?

Not at all.

Ok.

Say in WvW you want to mark a player who you think is the commander.

After you mark that specific target, your pet would alert by barking/howling /etc when that target approached or came at/near a certain specified game distance.

The second option, you could send your pet to seek it out.

Meaning, one of your designated pets would roam the map seeking that target and signal you in mini map when it found it; and keep pursuing it until you recall it back.

So nothing to do at all with "sic em" by any stretch.

In this case the pet would not attack.

Would only pursue and signal you where the target is.

Or necros being able to corrupt boons into conditions. etc etc. No other class can do that. Why is that not a "unique ability" ?

Sunshine, those are skills, and this is where you're getting confused. 

An ability is more on the phisical side; climbing walls, swimming, holding your breath for a long time, jumping really far or high.

Here:

https://thepeakperformancecenter.com/business/skill-enhancement/difference-between-skill-and-ability/

You're just using the word "ability" instead of the word "skill" and pretending that using a different word makes them different, but functionally its the same thing. Press button -> thing happens. All you're proposing here is to add 1 additional skill to each profession, and are being pedantic about calling it an "ability" and not a "skill".

See link.

Not to mention that some of the examples you're proposing are hilariously overpowered. Thieves being able to open gates in WvW? Really?

Really?

Yes. Why not?

Their core name is Thief!

Their core symbol contains a key and a knife.

It's time to put the key into practice. 

• Confused 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, while I respect your enthusiasm there are a number of issues. I will try address a few separately. 

On 12/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Say in WvW you want to mark a player who you think is the commander.

After you mark that specific target, your pet would alert by barking/howling /etc when that target approached or came at/near a certain specified game distance.

The second option, you could send your pet to seek it out.

Meaning, one of your designated pets would roam the map seeking that target and signal you in mini map when it found it; and keep pursuing it until you recall it back.

So nothing to do at all with "sic em" by any stretch.

In this case the pet would not attack.

Would only pursue and signal you where the target is.

I'm not sure how you intend the first option to work? A debuff that remains for how long? Even with map changes? Commander sniping exists already without this, which some already consider distasteful. 

As for option 2, I think you over estimate the capabilities of AI in this game. How is it going to pursue someone on the otherside of the map and keep up? Sentries and watchtowers already serve the purpose of alerting enemy positions.

Sunshine, those are skills, and this is where you're getting confused. 

An ability is more on the phisical side; climbing walls, swimming, holding your breath for a long time, jumping really far or high.

I feel this is more of an argument on semantics at the moment. There are skills/abilities that enable you to jump far already, run/swim faster etc. Only thing is climbing walls, which comes to an issue of engine limitations. Regardless some skills in game already cover the "abilities" section. 

Really?

Yes. Why not?

Their core name is Thief!

Their core symbol contains a key and a knife.

It's time to put the key into practice. 

Here you somewhat create a conflict with what you tried to say earlier. Lock picking is a learned skill, not an inate/trained ability. Also Lock picking a door to a house is very different to a tower or keep gate. Infact I wouldn't consider that even possible as there would be no lock to pick. Suspending all disbelief, say thieves could do that, it would mean no one would ever need or wNt to run siege again. Defending would be near impossible. Every squad would just need one thief to open gates and get inside. It would literally break WvW.

3 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

Ok, while I respect your enthusiasm there are a number of issues. I will try address a few separately. 

I'm not sure how you intend the first option to work? A debuff that remains for how long? Even with map changes? Commander sniping exists already without this, which some already consider distasteful. 

As for option 2, I think you over estimate the capabilities of AI in this game. How is it going to pursue someone on the otherside of the map and keep up? Sentries and watchtowers already serve the purpose of alerting enemy positions.

I feel this is more of an argument on semantics at the moment. There are skills/abilities that enable you to jump far already, run/swim faster etc. Only thing is climbing walls, which comes to an issue of engine limitations. Regardless some skills in game already cover the "abilities" section. 

Here you somewhat create a conflict with what you tried to say earlier. Lock picking is a learned skill, not an inate/trained ability. Also Lock picking a door to a house is very different to a tower or keep gate. Infact I wouldn't consider that even possible as there would be no lock to pick. Suspending all disbelief, say thieves could do that, it would mean no one would ever need or wNt to run siege again. Defending would be near impossible. Every squad would just need one thief to open gates and get inside. It would literally break WvW.

Not going to reply to your entire "points", because, well, this post is at least one week old, and frankly, at this stage I'm past caring. 

But I do say this: WvW in this game is already broken. 

Nothing you could add/remove to it would make it worse, when the main basis; which is balance in population isn't there.

WvW is the mode I enjoy playing more after PVE, not fractals, not dungeons, not raids, etc etc.

But when my home team doesn't play because we are constantly outnumbered anyways, against other teams such as Desolation and WSR, which have more than enough players that outnumber us at any given time, in any map; it's pointless to even try.

That is why I Am giving out ideas, which could spice things up a little. 

Maybe not these posted, but something. Just give us something to balance things out.

Otherwise, alternatively, this Tier thing needs a major rework. 

I suggested already in QoL how they could match home teams. As well as the Tiers, they could implement in the Alliances two or three more criteria, The team wirh most actuve WvW population be allied with the team with least number of active players, for instance. 

AG is one of the homes which states in World Selection that has a high population, but the number of players that actually play WvW is very low in comparison to those teams I've mentioned above.

Yesterday,  I played a significant amount of time in WvW, and there were only 5 of us (10 at most) the entire day in ebg and home map, and we could only just sit back and watch as Desolation capture all our buildings with 50+ players.

This has got to change.

If not with these suggestions in OP, then give us something to make it fair play.

AG also likes to loot, we paid for the game too. I feel we have the right to loot too.

Not just the top tier teams.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Not going to reply to your entire "points", because, well, this post is at least one week old, and frankly, at this stage I'm past caring. 

But I do say this: WvW in this game is already broken. 

Nothing you could add/remove to it would make it worse, when the main basis; which is balance in population isn't there.

WvW is the mode I enjoy playing more after PVE, not fractals, not dungeons, not raids, etc etc.

But when my home team doesn't play because we are constantly outnumbered anyways, against other teams such as Desolation and WSR, which have more than enough players that outnumber us at any given time, in any map; it's pointless to even try.

That is why I Am giving out ideas, which could spice things up a little. 

Maybe not these posted, but something. Just give us something to balance things out.

Otherwise, alternatively, this Tier thing needs a major rework. 

I suggested already in QoL how they could match home teams. As well as the Tiers, they could implement in the Alliances two or three more criteria, The team wirh most actuve WvW population be allied with the team with least number of active players, for instance. 

AG is one of the homes which states in World Selection that has a high population, but the number of players that actually play WvW is very low in comparison to those teams I've mentioned above.

Yesterday,  I played a significant amount of time in WvW, and there were only 5 of us (10 at most) the entire day in ebg and home map, and we could only just sit back and watch as Desolation capture all our buildings with 50+ players.

This has got to change.

If not with these suggestions in OP, then give us something to make it fair play.

AG also likes to loot, we paid for the game too. I feel we have the right to loot too.

Not just the top tier teams.

Yeah, I can understand the wvw issues. On NA and EU alike. It's been my primary game mode for most of my time in gw2, but I agree things need to change, I just don't think these kind of changes would promote a healthy change. 

There were many good changes that could have come to wvw, but unfortunately much of the remaining population are jaded and stubborn, raging at a new map while on the other hand also asking for it. A rework of the old super weapon mechanic in desert borderlands could have spiced things up a lot. 

• Thanks 1