Tyria Mastery points Hard compared to others

Stormer.4278

I just came back to playing GW2 and updated to to the two new expansions. But I"m seriously confused why the Tyria Mastery points, where the vast majority are achievement based and are so much more difficult and time consuming than the others. It is really causing me a lot of frustration and the difference really doesn't make sense. In PoF kill a mob get a point. In Central Tyria, can take a week of jump puzzles and diving points to get a single point. For a person who dos not enjoy "chasing" achievements, this really ruins the game. Also, it would be nice if the mastery points could be redistributed. Just truly frustrating.

There are 81 mastery points available in the core game and only 49 needed to max out all the mastery lines. Additionally, most players don't need fractal mastery nor legendary crafting, so it's really only 19 points you need to get quickly.

To get 19 quickly, you can

• Find the nine mastery insights (instructions on the wiki); those are all simple communes.
  • Complete the personal story (8 more points)
  • Completing the Silverwastes JP is one point; it's relatively easy now with mounts + gliding.
  • You get one for free from leveling to 80.

Maxing fractal masteries can be done entirely within fractals. Maxing legendaries requires going out of your way, but then so does maxing jackal, skimmer, raptor, and bunny-roo. (not to mention Griffon, which is its own headache)

There's no question that maxing PoF is the easiest of the three trees. Some think it's too easy, but that doesn't mean that core Tyria is all that hard to master.

Thanks I got those, the trouble I'm having is I saved up my Mastery points for the Pact Commander, because it almost leveled. Then put a point into fractals, thinking I would jsust go grap another mastery point. Now that my Pact Commander is leveled, I only have 7 points. So I go to find more, what I discovered was all the points in the basic GW2 are terribly time consuming and tedious, unless of course you pay for the Live World updates. Then they are a tad easier. Just doesn't make sense. I decided to try and get the diving mastery until I got down to the last 4 that are impossible for me. Due to reasons beyond my control many of the jumping puzzles are impossible for me. Just very disappointing to come back and pay all this money to update the game, just to find out they have made this so unnecessarily hard compared to the rest of the game. I could see linking them to achievements, but link to a specific tier of the achievement, not the completion. For example, require a tier 2 completion of the Diving achievement. Sorry for the length just very frustrated right now.

I can understand that you're frustrated, especially since you didn't realize that putting "just one point" into fractal mastery would mess things up for your Pact Commander progress.(Please don't let your frustration translate into unrealistic expectations: the original system was always going to feel harder than any tweaks they made later. Of course some core Tyria mastery points are time consuming, because people had already been playing core Tyria for 3 years.)

Here are some other "no skill required" points:

• Defeat Tequatl: show up on the map 20 minutes early (schedule available by typing in game, /wiki et)
  • Karka Queen killer: ditto, but 10 minutes early is fine.
  • Ruler of Shinies: use LFG to find an organized Dry Top group. Be at her gate at :48 (she spawns at :50, if the map reaches T4).
  • Complete LS2. (6-7 points iirc; like the personal story, you get 1 point per chapter).

There are also several others that aren't all that hard.

You can also ask in map chat if there's a mesmer who can help you out with those last few dives...the one in the Not So Secret puzzle may take a couple of tries, but you can find video of how to jump to avoid the obstacles. If you're on NA in the evenings, I can probably help you out with any of them for that achievement except Not So Secret--feel free to send me an in-game mail if you want to set something up.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There are 81 mastery points available in the core game and only 49 needed to max out all the mastery lines. Additionally, most players don't need fractal mastery nor legendary crafting, so it's really only 19 points you need to get quickly.

The problem is, even though you do not "need" fractal or legendary crafting mastery, you're still required to complete them if you do not want your exp to go to waste. If you don't have all masteries completed you won't get spirit shards.

That being said, I'd understand while they're more difficult. While HoT masteries are kinda required to progress through the story and complete the maps, core masteries mostly just make your life easier, even if big time easier.

The problem was mentioned in your opening post "you came back to playing gw2". That says it all right there. You now need/want the mastery points now but have to put in the time to get them. For those of us that didn't leave the game the only gate was exp. (For example, when HoT launched I had more mastery points available to use than I needed for all core masteries). Now I'm not invalidating your reason for taking a break from the game or anything but the masteries can take time to complete and the time you took away from the game cost you some time towards core masteries. You're making that time up now.

I would say central tyria is just more time consuming and somewhat squad/party based. Not really hard compared to what I would say HoT.I was able to get all of Central done and have 2 masteries leftover. I don't do Fractals even though I havel ike maybe 5 or so from there, and I have not a single episode unlocked in Living World Season 2 so I didn't get any from there and I've never finished the personal Story.

HoT on the other hand while I still have some of HoT story I need to complete, I got almost all of the Living World Season 3 ones (minus the story ones) and I need about 20 mastery points to finish.I can't get any of the adventure ones after Brink.

@PsiQss.6927 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There are 81 mastery points available in the core game and only 49 needed to max out all the mastery lines. Additionally, most players don't need fractal mastery nor legendary crafting, so it's really only 19 points you need to get quickly.

The problem is, even though you do not "need" fractal or legendary crafting mastery, you're still required to complete them if you do not want your exp to go to waste. If you don't have all masteries completed you won't get spirit shards.

First, that's not the OP's concern: they want to finish Pact Mastery and just need a few more points.

Second, while it's technically true that XP will "go to waste," it's of little practical importance. There are a variety of massive faucets for shards, including champ bags, reward tracks, randomly from dead foes, and so on. Anyone playing for "long enough" is going to end up with more shards than they can spend; maxing mastery just shortens the duration of "long enough."

It's completely fair to say that many Core Mastery points are time consuming, especially relative to PoF points. But that doesn't make the system unfair, especially as one can get the first 20 without too much trouble.

I have extra mastery points lying about from both HoT and PoF but missing a few ones from Core, and considering the size of Core compared to the other two, I think a small adjustment would benefit those, like me, who would like to complete the Core masteries and stop wasting XP's.

@Taelac.7036 said:You can also ask in map chat if there's a mesmer who can help you out with those last few dives...the one in the Not So Secret puzzle may take a couple of tries, but you can find video of how to jump to avoid the obstacles. If you're on NA in the evenings, I can probably help you out with any of them for that achievement except Not So Secret--feel free to send me an in-game mail if you want to set something up.

Dive Master is like the highest effort for lowest return

When I talk about a small overhaul, or re-balance if you will, consider that Central Tyria with its 25 explorable zones, only has 81 Mastery Points, of which:

• 14 are locked in Fractals
  • In LS2, within the 8 chapters, you need to complete between 7 and 10 separate achievements in each to unlock but a single Mastery in each.
  • 5 are locked behind expansive armor acquisition

Heart of Thorns, which is significantly smaller with only 4 zones (one of which is a meta), has 198, many of which are simple insights or simply require to reach a given area. That's more than double the amount in Core Tyria. So yes, I do sincerely believe a re-balance, like the one made last summer would be beneficial.

I was trapped in Central Tyria completing masteries until they added the new 'easy' ones. So first off, thanks Dev team for the 'help'. POF was easy, maybe a bit too easy, but I'm not going to complain about THAT. For me? HOT has been excruciatingly difficult. I still need over 30 and they are in achievements that for me, personally, hasn't been all that easy to gather. I've already resigned myself to the fact I won't complete them. However, just a couple days ago, I realized I didn't even finish LVS3 and there are some masteries I can get with little effort, so I am attempting to complete the story now.

C

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:You can also ask in map chat if there's a mesmer who can help you out with those last few dives...the one in the Not So Secret puzzle may take a couple of tries, but you can find video of how to jump to avoid the obstacles. If you're on NA in the evenings, I can probably help you out with any of them for that achievement except Not So Secret--feel free to send me an in-game mail if you want to set something up.

Dive Master is like the highest effort for lowest return

It is definitely up there.

@Noa.7490 said:

• 14 are locked in FractalsAnd Fractal Attunement needs 11; it's a perfect match. If you do fractals, you'll end up getting 11 almost by osmosis; if you don't, you either don't really need the mastery or you aren't "mastering the game."

• In LS2, within the 8 chapters, you need to complete between 7 and 10 separate achievements in each to unlock but a single Mastery in each.

• 5 are locked behind expansive armor acquisitionAs in any reward system, the latter points are more difficult/time consuming. But again: total needed is 49, against 81 available.

Heart of Thorns, which is significantly smaller with only 4 zones (one of which is a meta), has 198, many of which are simple insights or simply require to reach a given area. That's more than double the amount in Core Tyria. So yes, I do sincerely believe a re-balance, like the one made last summer would be beneficial.Heart of Thorns requires 144 points to max, which is nearly triple that needed for Core Tyria. The 198 is proportionately less, so if anything, HoT suffers from a dearth of available points. (Leaving out raids means 136 needed against 180; ignoring both raids & LS3 requires 112 against 148 points, a surplus of only 36 points.)

But again, this has nothing to do with the OP's request which is: how to get a couple of core mastery points quickly, so they can complete Pact Mastery. It's worth discussing rebalancing ... in another thread.

Archived