How do you use the shared inventory slots?

Hi,

I just returned after not playing for 8 years and I've been exploring the various new features in the game. I noticed there's a shared inventory/bank slot now which I thought is great (since you can't seem to mail your alt items).

Unfortunately I can't use the slot for some reason.

I'm trying to drag a non-soulbound item there, but the box itself becomes red and it won't drop any of those items in it. I tried both in the inventory and in the bank.

I have two "Level 80 boosters" in a slot there already, could it be blocking me from using the second slot due to that?

11 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

yes, if the boost is still in that slot you have to use it first. 

Thank you. Is there any way to move them to a normal slot for the time being? I don't want to use them right now and rather save them for later if I make a new character.

Or is my only solution to give items to my alt to send them to a friend first and let her send it to my alt?

Just now, Migraine.5810 said:

Thank you. Is there any way to move them to a normal slot for the time being? I don't want to use them right now and rather save them for later if I make a new character.

No I don’t think so. 

Just now, Migraine.5810 said:

Or is my only solution to give items to my alt to send them to a friend first and let her send it to my alt?

You can use your bank to give items to your other characters. The bank is account wide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you should still be able to use the empty shared slot, even if the level 80 boosters are in the other one. I've got a level 80 booster in a shared slot now and I've been able to use the others, including other shared slots which originally came with the boosters.

I'm not entirely sure this makes a difference but try putting the item you want in there into the character's inventory and then moving it from there.

Also if you let us know what the item is that might help us work out why it's not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

No I don’t think so. 

You can use your bank to give items to your other characters. The bank is account wide. 

Huh, I'm confused now... If the normal bank is account wide, then what's the point of the shared inventory thing?

15 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think you should still be able to use the empty shared slot, even if the level 80 boosters are in the other one. I've got a level 80 booster in a shared slot now and I've been able to use the others, including other shared slots which originally came with the boosters.

I'm not entirely sure this makes a difference but try putting the item you want in there into the character's inventory and then moving it from there.

Also if you let us know what the item is that might help us work out why it's not working.

That's what I thought at first too, until I tried to put some items there.

The items I've moved have all been in the inventory and not the bank. As for the items, I took a screenshot of one example, but the forum won't allow me to paste an imgur link.

It's just normal magical items that aren't soulbound ("soulbound on use", but I haven't used them). Examples are "Wisteria", Anton's Boot Blade" and just random yellow items with prefixes and suffixes.

But if the bank is account bound like yoni mentioned, then I can probably send it that way... But my question remains what the point of the shared slot is, since I seem to have misunderstood it completely :classic_blink:

15 minutes ago, Migraine.5810 said:

The items I've moved have all been in the inventory and not the bank. As for the items, I took a screenshot of one example, but the forum won't allow me to paste an imgur link.

It's just normal magical items that aren't soulbound ("soulbound on use", but I haven't used them). Examples are "Wisteria", Anton's Boot Blade" and just random yellow items with prefixes and suffixes.

But if the bank is account bound like yoni mentioned, then I can probably send it that way... But my question remains what the point of the shared slot is, since I seem to have misunderstood it completely :classic_blink:

You should be able to place an external link on the forum eg. https://imgur.com/a/lNUW7TP

You can't place any Soulbound on Use items in there. It treats them as Soulbound items. Which was probably mistakenly coded that way unintentionally since you can transfer them through your bank or sell them on TP.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bank lets you share items, but the shared inventory slots give you instant access to them from anywhere. To deposit items into the bank or withdraw them you have to either go to a banker or crafting station (and those are usually in cities) or use a bank access express or banker golem, which are limited use items with limited availability outside of spending gems. All your characters can access it whenever you want, but you have to go out of your way to do it.

Whereas putting an item in a shared inventory slot is like having it in all your character's inventories at the same time, they can all use it any time, anywhere. A lot of people use them for salvage kits so they only need 1 kit for all their characters.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

You can’t access your bank from everywhere. 

But I can because I have some "permanent bank access"-item thingy in my inventory. I guess you mean players that don't have this gadget.

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

You should be able to place an external link on the forum eg. https://imgur.com/a/lNUW7TP

You can't place any Soulbound on Use items in there. It treats them as Soulbound items. Which was probably mistakenly coded that way unintentionally since you can transfer them through your bank or sell them on TP.

Thank you, I missed that "external"-tidbit. I assumed there was something strange with the slots, so I guess this makes sense!

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The bank lets you share items, but the shared inventory slots give you instant access to them from anywhere. To deposit items into the bank or withdraw them you have to either go to a banker or crafting station (and those are usually in cities) or use a bank access express or banker golem, which are limited use items with limited availability outside of spending gems. All your characters can access it whenever you want, but you have to go out of your way to do it.

Whereas putting an item in a shared inventory slot is like having it in all your character's inventories at the same time, they can all use it any time, anywhere. A lot of people use them for salvage kits so they only need 1 kit for all their characters.

I see - my mistake was that since I haven't played for 8 years I forgot that the bank was account wide (if it was that back then as well), and got confused when I saw the "shared inventory slot"-thingy, thinking it might mean that it's the only way to send items between two characters (since mailing doesn't work).

I guess that having that permanent instant access bank gadget means shared inventory slots are kind of obsolete? Especially if they are "bugged" and don't allow you to put "soulbound on use"-items into it.

Thanks everyone for replying! I hope they fix that shared account thing not being able to accept gear that is "soulbound on use". Have a wonderful day

26 minutes ago, Migraine.5810 said:

But I can because I have some "permanent bank access"-item thingy in my inventory. I guess you mean players that don't have this gadget.

Well, since that is an item worth severel thousand gold it is safe to say that only a very small minority has that kind of luxury, yes. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

For the ultimate in convenience, place your 'Permanent Bank Access -item thingy' in your Shared Inventory Slot.  Then, all characters have access to the bank from anywhere.  👍

This. Literally this. All characters have access to bank at all times. Bank essentially becomes a huge shared inventory. If you have the permanent one it is by far the highest value item to put in a shared slot

• Thanks 1

Well, drops wont automatically go to your bank.

I use my shared inventory for drops too. Like the unid. armors, keys, wvw stuff, exp stuff,... it all adds automatically in one pile instead on a pile in every char and has to manually moved.

But I've max slots of the shared inv.

The Rebirth item wont be of any use to you in your bank either when dead.

• Thanks 1

1. Level 80 boosters from buying the expansions cannot be moved out of the shared slot, they can only be consumed.  This is a limitation that has been on them since introduction with PoF. 

2. To the best of my knowledge, you can use the empty free slot before you use the level boosters in the other slot.

3.  There are limitations on what can and cannot be put in a shared inventory slot.  I have found that weapons and armor can't be put in them.  Bags, boxes, unidentified gear, food, etc can be.  Trophies (junk items) cannot.  Salvage kits, harvesting tools, etc. can be.  So, if you can't put an item in a shared slot, it is probably a limitation on that type of item.

• Thanks 1