Please revert Mechanical Genius.

Doragor.2749

Repositioning the mech is a damage loss nomatter how you play it since it can't attack while moving. Return-to-me is designed poorly and just slingshots it all over the place~ why's there still no "Stay-close-to-me" command instead? The timer is too short for any flexibility. Having to follow around a confused AI you can't give a basic toggle commands to for how you want it to act (like simply telling it to always stay close) as if you're the pet and it's the master is bad game design.

The tiny pulsing ring blends in with other effects and is unnessasary clutter since the whole mechanic is unnessasary. All mech pets look exactly the same and there are 100 white rings are on the ground in a battle so trying to find it is annoying. Large bosses give the robutt a HUGE pathing radius, it could be anywhere. Pet will stand on surfaces that are impossible for you to join it on. Pet will spam attack invulnerable mobs even when you tell it not to. Losing it's defense stats/hp on top of it's offense is extra lame and makes it more useless in WvW than it already was. Gun mech still runs away from you and the 3rd trait puts it in melee range too~ that should be changed to a range attack for logic reasons.

In a perfect world where you keep the buff up and never have to leash the pet you're not "rewarding players who are able to position well," we're just getting back what we already had, which was still lower than other classes~ but that was fine since it was a fun profession to play. But you added something that just reduces fun for no reason. The way you worded justification for it is rude. Tell us like it is; "punish players who aren't able to position well." There is nothing rewarding about the system, don't try to make it sound exciting when it isn't.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

why's there still no "Stay-close-to-me" command instead

Probably because it pretty much nulifies this change in terms of more active play?

Having to follow around a confused AI(...)

(...)

Pet will stand on surfaces that are impossible for you to join it on.

Again, you're not the one doing the "following" here.

The tiny pulsing ring blends in with other effects and is unnessasary clutter since the whole mechanic is unnessasary. All mech pets look exactly the same and there are 100 white rings are on the ground in a battle so trying to find it is annoying.

Ok, so maybe they can add some marker about your own golem to easier keep track of it.

Pet will spam attack invulnerable mobs even when you tell it not to.

Not really.

The way you worded justification for it is rude.

Wait, what? How?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Probably because it pretty much nulifies this change in terms of more active play?

Again, you're not the one doing the "following" here.

Ok, so maybe they can add some marker about your own golem to easier keep track of it.

Not really.

Wait, what? How?

1. Spamming return for the sake of active play, woweee FUN! WHEEEE! They clearly want Engi to get up close and dirty so let us with better QoL.

2. We either follow it or leash it, and leashing it reduces your damage since it can't attack while moving. Pet likes to path away from you anyways when you leash it and having to move for mechanics will make you have to leash it or return to pet. It's not good. Spaming return 87989879 times isn't good. Having pet control where you have to go isn't good.

3. That or be creative and give us some customization which would be more exciting. 

4. WHAT!? LOL it does it all the time, it's super annoying and it doesn't accept no means no when I hit return. There's no coding to tell it what to attack and not attack~ when a boss goes invuln and I fight adds it will continously go back to the invuln boss in vast distance nonstop the moment an add dies even though I never tell it to. My pet in constantly doing things without consent and needs a short leash option so I can train it better, unless Anet is against consent.

5. I explained that in the sentences that followed, lol

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

1. Spamming return for the sake of active play, woweee FUN! WHEEEE! They clearly want Engi to get up close and dirty so let us with better QoL.

It's almost as if the exact same thing can be said about anything: spamming literally any sake for the sake of playing the game woowee 🤦‍♂️ 

2. We either follow it or leash it, and leashing it reduces your damage since it can't attack while moving. Pet likes to path away from you anyways when you leash it and having to move for mechanics will make you have to leash it or return to pet. It's not good. Spaming return 87989879 times isn't good. Having pet control where you have to go isn't good.

No, you can just use the two buttons like, really, quite a lot of people still playing mechanist and not pretending it's somehow dead or bad.

4. WHAT!? LOL it does it all the time, it's super annoying and it doesn't accept no means no when I hit return. There's no coding to tell it what to attack and not attack~ when a boss goes invuln and I fight adds it will continously go back to the invuln boss in vast distance nonstop the moment an add dies even though I never tell it to. My pet in constantly doing things without consent and needs a short leash option so I can train it better, unless Anet is against consent.

"LOL WHAT?" indeed. There really is, you can order it to stop attacking/follow you and then attack what you're targetting. "There's not coding to tell it what to attack and not attack" -lol, but there are keys for you to tell it exactly that. If what you're describing here happens to you then it really is a "you issue" and you're the one failing at controlling it, sorry to say.

No, the "leash" you want here has nothing to do with you somehow "training it better", it's nothing other than you wanting your passive playstyle/deeps back, what does it have to do with you training it or w/e you're trying to insinuate here? 😄

5. I explained that in the sentences that followed, lol

All you said after that is this:

"Tell us like it is; "punish players who aren't able to position well." There is nothing rewarding about the system, don't try to make it sound exciting when it isn't."

And in no way that expalins how anything there was somehow rude.

• Like 2
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

"LOL WHAT?" indeed. There really is, you can order it to stop attacking/follow you and then attack what you're targetting. "There's not coding to tell it what to attack and not attack" -lol, but there are keys for you to tell it exactly that. If what you're describing here happens to you then it really is a "you issue" and you're the one failing at controlling it, sorry to say.

The bot returns to it's previous target after the current mob dies. It needs to FORGET the previous target and stay put.

I see that all the time in fractals. It either goes back to the boss while it is invulnerable or mobs that managed to land one hit on my toon while bypassing a pack at another part of the fractal, while we are in the middle of an add fighting phase.

It is just that one thing I want: Make it forget it's previous target when I order it to attack something! 

Edited by gousgou.5438
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 12/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, Doggie.3184 said:

"punish players who aren't able to position well." There is nothing rewarding about the system, don't try to make it sound exciting when it isn't.

Entire commend is spot on. 

This line also stood out to me when I read it. I was thinking "reward players"? There's nothing rewarding about this change. 

If anything it was very skillful to be able to be in two places at once and support your allies while doing mechanics. This change takes away the reward from positing yourself and the bot well like this. 

Little things like being able to do canon in sirens reef while also buffing your allies down below was fun and it really sold the fantasy of playing a puppeteer spec. They could have leaned into that more as a way of bringing up the skill cap. Give better bot control tools to emphasize splitting from your bot more often. Like being able to ground target where the bot stands. That would have rewarded players for positioning well. This nerf does the opposite. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Entire commend is spot on. 

This line also stood out to me when I read it. I was thinking "reward players"? There's nothing rewarding about this change. 

If anything it was very skillful to be able to be in two places at once and support your allies while doing mechanics. This change takes away the reward from positing yourself and the bot well like this. 

Little things like being able to do canon in sirens reef while also buffing your allies down below was fun and it really sold the fantasy of playing a puppeteer spec. They could have leaned into that more as a way of bringing up the skill cap. Give better bot control tools to emphasize splitting from your bot more often. Like being able to ground target where the bot stands. That would have rewarded players for positioning well. This nerf does the opposite. 

I like this comment. . The “positioning skill” the current change is just playing where’s Waldo with your mech.. or recall him back.. shift signet etc.. it’s not fun, feels like baby sitting..

it used to be fun, being able to be in 2 places at once doing 2 things whilst also looking at ensuring your mech doesn’t get spanked and die.. that feels more fun..

Edited by iNaddict.8021
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

No, you can just use the two buttons like, really, quite a lot of people still playing mechanist and not pretending it's somehow dead or bad.

I mean this is true , I am playing my mech like this mechanic doesn't exist.   It doesn't bother me at all.

But it's still a questionable design choice.

It does nothing in terms of promotion of more active gameplay because there is no reliable way to keep mech around.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Yesteday finished EoD story and made a few Metas.

I guess effect is reached, i see only few other Mech running around.

What i see are more rangers running around, that means people just like pet play.

But when there will be too many rangers around, then what?

Another nerf?

p.s. If they would play mech for a few days, they would understand that these changes they made to the mech makes no sense.

Playstyle of the mech includes always looking for your mech and keeping relatively short distance to mobs to get that 450 trait working. They could make mech geniuss 900 and i would be total ok.

p.s.2 They totally need to make some sort of tag to distinquish your pet from crowd of others. It was a problem before, but now with changes its like putting salt in the wound.

p.s.3 And i dont even talk about rifle which has some weird 1st shot delay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

I mean this is true , I am playing my mech like this mechanic doesn't exist.   It doesn't bother me at all.

Yup, I know it is.

But it's still a questionable design choice.

It's not really questionable. The purpose and implementation of it is rather clear and it does work.

It does nothing in terms of promotion of more active gameplay because there is no reliable way to keep mech around.

That's very clearly false, based on many players doing it regularly ingame right now. At best you can say that you can't do it for whatever reason.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yup, I know it is.

Yup. I am sure you know better how I feel

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's not really questionable. The purpose and implementation of it is rather clear and it does work.

It is.  My gameplay hasn't changed at all.  So it serves no purpose and implementation is objectively dubious.

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's very clearly false.

It clearly isn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

Yup. I am sure you know better how I feel

What? You seem a little lost here. You said "it's true" (to something I already said), I said "I know it is" and you went into somehow claiming I must know your feelings better than you? What are you on about? 🤦‍♂️

It is.  My gameplay hasn't changed at all.  So it serves no purpose and implementation is objectively dubious.

Cool and because of that you've lost some dps, so... works as intended.

It clearly isn't.

That's very clearly false, based on many players doing it regularly ingame right now. At best you can say that you can't do it for whatever reason.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What? You seem a little lost here. You said "it's true" (to something I already said), I said "I know it is" and you went into somehow claiming I must know your feelings better than you? What are you on about? 🤦‍♂️

Maybe. English is not my native language after all.

25 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Cool and because of that you've lost some dps, so... works as intended.

If dps nerf was the intention it's a very clunky and dubious way to do it. And people here already stated it numerous times.

26 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's very clearly true based on mech's movement when it routinely moving out of range on it's own.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

48 minutes ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

Maybe. English is not my native language after all.

I see, understandable.

If dps nerf was the intention it's a very clunky and dubious way to do it. And people here already stated it numerous times.

No, the dps nerf was the intention if you ignore the more active gameplay, which is what you did because it was an intended option. If you prefer "just flat numerical dps nerf", all you're saying is that you don't want other players to have an option to play more actively while paying attention to their mech because you don't want to play more actively, so they shouldn't be rewarded for it. Is that really what it is about?

It's not dubious and clunky. It clearly works and "just flat dps nerf" isn't really the intention here, it's giving options between more and less active gameplay while having clear differences in performance. So yeah, seems to be working as intended. You don't want to use it? Cool, you're still fine playing it with a small dps penalty. Anyone else can have slightly higher dps for slightly more action taken and attention paid. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand.

That's very clearly true based on mech's movement when it routinely moving out of range on it's own.

Nope, it doesn't, if you fail at keeping it near to have the passive active, it's your issue, because other players can clearly utilize it. If you somehow keep failing at it, welp, you are free to keep practicing and maybe one day you'll improve at it enough to understand you were wrong. Until then, you're free to do what you said you're doing anyways few posts above.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Want to leave my opinion here.

The latest 'balancing' was more a total rework of how mech was played and destryoed most of the fun of this class(, for me) .

There are much better ways to adjust dps power and stuff.

Most annoying is the new range of 360 for boons. This is bigger than the hitbox of many if not most bosses and requires constant repositioning. The update notes said good positioning will be rewarded but that is simply not true. It has to say "(constant re)positioning will prevent drawbacks" or something like that.

I plan to abandon mech for now with strong feelings of regret and frustration and I'm hoping the fun will be back some day.  8-[

Edit: " bigger than the hitbox" is not really true but you know what I mean: after almost any movement the bot will be too far away if YOU want to have a good position like stacking with your healer for example and a constant repositioning is not possible unless the bot is more walking than doing his stuff

Edited by Skia.4029
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Skia.4029 said:

Most annoying is the new range of 360 for boons. This is bigger than the hitbox of many if not most bosses and requires constant repositioning. The update notes said good positioning will be rewarded but that is simply not true. It has to say "(constant re)positioning will prevent drawbacks" or something like that.

That phrasing on the patch notes was so weird. Positioning is not getting rewarded here, it just avoids punishment. If someone thinks this is the same, consider this:

Your kid comes home from school, presenting you their latest test results, which is an F (or 6, for everyone with the same grading system as mine).

As a responsible parent, by default you always provide 3 meals a day for your kid. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now after this test result, you tell your kid that whenever they bring home another F, they won't get dinner that day.

Hey, the next test result is a C, so your kid gets dinner just like every other day! Do you really think you are rewarding your kid here? They avoided punishment, but that is not the same as getting a reward.

Anet just has chosen that phrasing to make the change not seem as bad as it actually is. What it should really say is "proper positioning will make you avoid punishment", but that would make it too obvious that the change is negative. Talking about "rewarding" the player, when this is actually not a reward at all, just makes the change sound way more positive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Skia.4029 said:

The update notes said good positioning will be rewarded but that is simply not true. It has to say "(constant re)positioning will prevent drawbacks" or something like that.

17 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

That phrasing on the patch notes was so weird. Positioning is not getting rewarded here, it just avoids punishment. If someone thinks this is the same, consider this:

2 hours ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

This patch was an anti fun patch for engi.

Especially agreeing with all of these points.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/8/2022 at 1:16 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Call it to yourself and it won't (or attack a new target) 🤷‍♂️

If you recall it with F7 it comes to your side and STOPS ATTACKING !!!!

Plus even if it is specced as ranged, it stops attacking while it moves which adds to the time it is inactive and not contributing it's DPS (I am probably asking a lot here, if they can't make it figure out it is in the middle of a boss encounter, I bet they can't figure out how to make it move and auto attack).

Edited by gousgou.5438
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2