What's your favourite villain/s?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite villain

• Scarlet
    • Mordremoth
    • Lazarus
    • Cadecus
    • Balthazar
    • King Joko the Inevitable, the last Primeval King, Joko the Undying, the Scourge of Vabbi, Joko the Feared, Joko the Beloved, Joko the Transcendent, and Joko the Eternal Monarch of All
    • Kralkatorrik
    • Jormag
    • Bangar
    • Ryland
    • Primordus
    • Ankka
    • The void

• Arthelad.5418 changed the title to What is your favourite villain/s?

statistically speaking joko is the only villain.

Eating magic and tyrian creatures doesn't make dragons villain just like how eating livestock and vegetables doesn't make us villain.

Brainwashed Scarlet is brainwashed

Caudecus is literally power struggle. Happens everywhere.

Bangar is after charr supremacy its nationalism not villainism.

Ryland is just ryland.

Ankka 2nd in line. Not bad.

The void, bla bla, made to look others look good. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I like several.

Scarlet is cool conceptually - tormented genius slowly being consumed by an alien will. I think I came to appreciate her more with End of Dragons and season 1 re-release. The new lore and voice recordings they added fleshed her out more. It's too bad her screen-time is relatively short, but I suppose other villains in this game suffer similarly. I was delighted to see her pop out of Mai during End of Dragons. Such a great throwback.

Joko was great. Fun writing and presentation, and I wish we had more time with him.

I think Jormag could've been the most fascinating villain in the game, and I ate up the frenemy schtick. I just found Jormag to be so sinister because you know they want to befriend us and you know they have something else planned. Really is a terrible shame Icebrood Saga ended the way it did; it was a disservice to a really compelling enemy. The voice actor was so wonderful.

Bangar and Ryland were both great, the former in particular. There was something so realistic about Bangar that I appreciated, and I loved how his arrogance and pride was his undoing. Both characters played off one another nicely. Again feel they were victims of how Icebrood Saga ended so quickly/abruptly, but overall their arc and resolutions felt satisfying. Bangar at least is alive to follow up on, even if it's just his execution. I'd love even one more scene with him.

Ankka was pretty great. Loved the voice actress, love how eerily detached she sounded. I wish we had more time to really dive into her character though. They did pretty good with the screen-time she had, but like with a lot of villains in this game they die quickly after things get truly interesting.

Hopefully in the future the dev team will see we would like more longstanding villains we can get to know/love/hate over a longer period of time.

Edited by Zola.6197
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Praise Joko!  Clearly the best and truest villain.  Some of my favorite dialogue, or monologue, in the game.  

Followed up by Ankka, love the voice acting and the cold detachment in it.  

Jormag is subtle and gives you that sense of unease that works so well.  

Bangar and Ryland.  I love the charr, and enjoyed the storyline following these.  The arrogance, power struggles, and betrayals made for interesting villains with self serving interests.

Not a big fan of Scarlet...cliche crazy genius.  Meh.  Most interesting part is the set up for HoT.  

All the corrupted dragons are more just sad.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Says a lot that Scarlet - prob the most complained about character in the history of the game, is voted higher than any presented since (Joko being a legacy character). I think it shows the struggles they’ve had writing decent antagonists

Also, Praise Joko!

Might just be that she’s going through a bit of a “renaissance” with EoDs and the reintroduction of S1. There was a time Trehearne was near unanimously hated, and now it seems there’s at least one thread per month about how much he’s missed and what an amazing character he was. 🤷‍♀️

Plus, I do feel the new lore documents in S1 added more to her character, which probably helps. That said I have still heard people complaining about her.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Says a lot that Scarlet - prob the most complained about character in the history of the game, is voted higher than any presented since (Joko being a legacy character). I think it shows the struggles they’ve had writing decent antagonists

Also, Praise Joko!

Doesn't say too much, imo, since Zhaitan, Kralkatorrik, Primordus, and the Dragonvoid had practically (or literally) zero personality to them. Lazarus is practically a no-show villain, like the dungeon bosses he was one-and-done, so that's not going to merit many favored opinions.

So that's half the options pretty much voided.

Honestly surprised Lazarus and Primordus got one vote. Unless that's the default? 🤷‍♂️

Then there's as Zola said - a big current focus on her, but also I think the main thing is that with the LWS1R, the worst elements of her character got fixed by either ANet not re-sharing the old short stories (What Scarlet Saw depicted as a very big Mary Sue character with everyone instantly loving her and her getting away with crimes without real punishments) and adding new VA to make Scarlet less of a British Harley Quinn (one of the two major complaints).

Take Scarlet's Playhouse. The original ending:

Scarlet Briar: Alas, you have defeated me! And thus I have learned the error of my ways. I shall be good and sweet and nice from now on.
Scarlet Briar: Just kidding! But you do have my full attention now. I don't think you'll enjoy it.
Scarlet Briar: I keep a list of people that need sharp reminders about how insignificant they really are. And you just jumped to the top of it.
Scarlet Briar: It was a well-earned victory, and you should be proud. You should be happy. No, I mean it: you should be happy.
Scarlet Briar: So be happy. Right now. Because shortly, very shortly, your life is going to be nothing but tears. See you soon!
Scarlet teleports away.

Versus the new ending:

Scarlet Briar: The music swells...
A giant Twisted Watchwork bomb slowly fills the arena.
Braham jumps in and creates a barrier.
Braham: I've got your back.
The bomb goes off, leaving Scarlet on the ground.
Scarlet Briar: Alas, you have defeated me! And thus I have learned the error of my ways. I shall be good and sweet and nice from now on.
Scarlet teleports to the throne.
Scarlet Briar: Now you've got my full attention.
Scarlet Briar: I keep a list of people who need sharp reminders about how insignificant they are.
Scarlet Briar: Do not get in my way, little pest. There will be consequences.
Scarlet teleports away.

Much different feel, and it seems a lot more like a victory for the player. Also the new lore books go to explore how Scarlet got the alliances together.

And then there was just the time since. People got over it, and new it was coming this time around.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I personally put Mordremoth on top - he had the best build-up, came the closest to success, and if you play a Sylvari has the most personal connection to the PC. 

He accomplished the most out of any villain imo:

- While asleep, successfully took over Scarlet and turned her into his super agent

- Successfully woke himself up before he was meant to and before anyone was ready for him, nearly destroying Lion's Arch in the process

- Almost killed the pale tree, injuring her to the point where she is still inactive years later

- Turned a huge proportion of the Sylvari into Mordrem

- Almost annihilated the Pact, destroyed its air fleet, and captured/killed its leader

- Launched attacks as far away as Ascalon

- Killed Eir and injured 2 of Destiny's Edge members - Zojja was hit so badly that we haven't heard from her 7-8 years later and Logan is permanently damaged.   

All of this, while only having absorbed the magic from Zhaitan - I dread to think what Mordremoth would have been with the magic from the other dragons (perhaps waking up early wasn't the smart thing...)

EDIT: oh and he had a fun meta-event and one of the best OST 

Edited by KnightofPhoenix.3679
  • Like 7

My vote was for Scarlet. Might be the nostalgia but she was one of the few good written characters. 
Trahearne. He's just annoying and gets all the credit for whatever the commander does. 
My favorite villain on the span of both games is probably Abaddon. I'd really like to know more about his backstory when he wasn't evil. Also I always wondered why he hates dancing so much lol

Edited by Cynder.2509
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/14/2022 at 1:24 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

My Internetprovider.  

This dude is putting up the most fight atleast....  He also wasnt impressed when i told him i am a lvl 47 Engineer leading a guild of 7 people.....    THIS GUY IS A bad as!

lol I feel that so hard, dude. 
My internet has been going out every 5 or 10 minutes for 4 weeks and I got disconnected mid raid speedclears constantly. It was very annoying since I was the healer in the static. 
Vodafone has been really bad with internet here in Germany recently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

My vote was for Scarlet. Might be the nostalgia but she was one of the few good written characters. 
Trahearne. He's just annoying and gets all the credit for whatever the commander does. 
My favorite villain on the span of both games is probably Abaddon. I'd really like to know more about his backstory when he wasn't evil. Also I always wondered why he hates dancing so much lol

I'm not sure Abbadon was ever truly evil. Technically he was fighting for Tyrians and the other Human Gods were the enemy, trying to take something away from them that was rightfully theirs.

It would be like taking nuclear power away on Earth just because the biproducts can be used to make bombs.

We've also learned that the Forgotten (the gods' servants) had their own problems, and killed alot of people before redeeming themselves with Glint, so there were no "good guys" in that history.

Sure, more bad things happened later, but it can all be traced back to betrayals by the Human Gods, who are often portrayed as being benevolent but there's little actual evidence of such. They barely helped anyone but Humans, and were often antagonistic towards other races directly or indirectly. They were never good for Tyria.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 2

On 12/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Elorna.5329 said:

Zhaitan not even being listed kind of says it all. 😄 But for me it's Ankka, one of the rare times when a nihilist just works as a villain. She should've been the final boss of the game, and the whole void crap a LW story.

I dind't put him beacuse he is more of a force of nature than a character. Would have done the same for primordus but he's a fan fav and his actions had bigger consequences. Sorry

Edited by Arthelad.5418

18 hours ago, Arthelad.5418 said:

I dind't put him beacuse he is more of a force of nature than a character. Would have done the same for primordus but he's a fan fav and his actions had bigger consequences. Sorry

I don't think primordius was so good of a vilain or force of nature

Primordius's actions had bigger consequences ?

he's only action ( and i mean conscious action, because destroyers are what they do, they aren't organised until braham try to force his will onto the dragon) has been to go die at dragonstorm

to compare Zhaïthan was the head of his army and had real tactiques and actions.

he also was the only dragon who really wanted to kill mortal. because they was his army.

all other dragon kill or corrupt mortal by collateral.

Zaïthan was the only one who launch attacks on tactical targets

(execpt jormag who prefered corrupting mortals and trying to get out of the dragon cycle )

Edited by DemonCrypto.6792
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, DemonCrypto.6792 said:

I don't think primordius was so good of a vilain or force of nature

Primordius's actions had bigger consequences ?

he's only action ( and i mean conscious action, because destroyers are what they do, they aren't organised until braham try to force his will onto the dragon) has been to go die at dragonstorm

to compare Zhaïthan was the head of his army and had real tactiques and actions.

he also was the only dragon who really wanted to kill mortal. because they was his army.

all other dragon kill or corrupt mortal by collateral.

Zaïthan was the only one who launch attacks on tactical targets

(execpt jormag who prefered corrupting mortals and trying to get out of the dragon cycle )

1. I dont think he was a good villain either.

2. Primordus drove the asura and skritt from the underground, his destroyers battled the dwarves in the depths of tyria and murdured hundreds or thousands of innocent people in champions (we don't really know). Primordus didn't do anything really, he just caused destruction by... existing. Pretty anticlimactic.

3. Good point

4. Mordremoth used Traheane, Zojja and Logan as batteries for his soldier cloning machines, he wanted to spread his roots and destroy the pale tree and destroy those who stood in his way. His grudge was more about the suffocating the world, but he did have a grudge against the pale tree and dragon's watch. Kralkatorrik wanted to kill aurene at any cost, he also killed glint. We don't know what he thought of mortals though, but its probable that he wanted to continue the cycle (since he killed glint, who wanted to replace it) and thus killing mortals. Zaithan, Mordremoth and Jormag all wanted to corrupt to strenghten their armies. Zaithan just had to kill them to corrupt them.

5. Not really. Mordremoth made scarlet atack lion's arch to wake up. He also launched atacks on fort concordia, salma and the pact in the silverwastes. Kralkatorrik launched atacks on whereever aurene was. Primordus was chaotic, but he did launch atacks on rata sum, metrica province, ebonhawke and thunderhead keep beacuse they were strategic. Jormag's armies atacked DR, owl's shrine, tried to atack lions arch, and the flame citadel to stop primordus' forces from taking the region. Zaithan wasn't the only one with strategy.