Language problem

I'm from EU and chose an English speaking server (I'm uncultured and speak one language) I also choose not to join a guild and always felt that my server is my guild.

This alliance my map chat is German, VC is German.

Previously I had lots of french. 

I'm not sure how this can work but I can't stand it currently.

I feel that anyone not in a guild just gets put on red team and gets ruined for a week. 

Not sure how this works for NA but in Europe we have so many languages, I'm basically playing with strangers I can't communicate with.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Napo.1230 said:

Not sure how this works for NA but in Europe we have so many languages, I'm basically playing with strangers I can't communicate with.

In NA we get a lot of Spanish in chat, sometimes Portuguese.  During SEA timezone on some servers there can be Chinese or Tagalog or another southeast Asian language.  No one cares.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

There are no "english speaking" servers. It's international ie any language or language based SP/DE/FR (which is also technically any language since it's not enforced). IMO Anet should have removed the language denomination long ago and just made all of them international.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

There are no "english speaking" servers. It's international ie any language or language based SP/DE/FR (which is also technically any language since it's not enforced). IMO Anet should have removed the language denomination long ago and just made all of them international.

What exactly would that have solved? Onus on language specific guilds and players having to seek them out themselves? Language based Alliances?

I'm honestly curious why you're extremely dismissive of other people's experiences.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

What exactly would that have solved? Onus on language specific guilds and players having to seek them out themselves? Language based Alliances?

I'm honestly curious why you're extremely dismissive of other people's experiences.

Solve? I never said it would solve anything. 

I just find the idea talking English only by decree of "English server" laughable. It doesnt exist because Anet will not enforce the words you type. The premise of the OP is wrong. There are only international worlds.

The experience of the OP is clear: what he "need" is an English speaking guild and in the future maybe an English speaking alliance. It's as simple as that. There's your community that the guild leader can handle. No English, no member.

I also think encouraging SP/DE/FR worlds to speak more English to be a better idea than the I-dont-want-you-here-speaking-your-gobbletygook approach, since you cant force them either way. If nothing else because you need it in the modern life - and they can still be members of SP/DE/FR guilds/alliances just fine. Most probably already speak English anyway, they just dont because they're so used to being on their own language themed world. Maybe they'll eventually learn not to call outer walls/door something as stupid as "P1" and instead say where the kitten the enemy is.

Since the world restructure is based on more randomization of teams instead of fixed monolithic one (which the language themed worlds are literally the best example of) basing anything on language outside the 500 man chunks that players control would probably mess up algorithms and screw someone over no matter at what angle you're coming from. It's better to just... not do it.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I just find the idea talking English only by decree of "English server" laughable. It doesnt exist because Anet will not enforce the words you type. The premise of the OP is wrong. There are only international worlds.

The experience of the OP is clear: what he "need" is an English speaking guild and in the future maybe an English speaking alliance. It's as simple as that. There's your community that the guild leader can handle. No English, no member.

I also think encouraging SP/DE/FR worlds to speak more English to be a better idea than the I-dont-want-you-here-speaking-your-gobbletygook approach, since you cant force them either way. If nothing else because you need it in the modern life - and they can still be members of SP/DE/FR guilds/alliances just fine. Most probably already speak English anyway, they just dont because they're so used to being on their own language themed world. Maybe they'll eventually learn not to call outer walls/door something as stupid as "P1" and instead say where the kitten the enemy is.

Since the world restructure is based on more randomization of teams instead of fixed monolithic one (which the language themed worlds are literally the best example of) basing anything on language outside the 500 man chunks that players control would probably mess up algorithms and screw someone over no matter at what angle you're coming from. It's better to just... not do it.

Fair point.

Are Guilds and by extension Alliances able to flag a primary language to make ingame organisation less of a chore (sorry I haven't looked at the guild ui in a long time).

Coming from a country with 11 official languages of which I speak 2 fluently I have a fairly good idea of what a clusterkitten things become quickly.

Oh and thanks for the "P1,P2" reference, I had no clue what that was referring to when used with the European languages I don't speak 😁

1 hour ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

Fair point.

Are Guilds and by extension Alliances able to flag a primary language to make ingame organisation less of a chore (sorry I haven't looked at the guild ui in a long time).

Guilds cant and we dont know how alliances will show - personally I would like them to be visible just like guilds (ie you see a player of guild X in alliance Y) which means alliance leaders can simply create a name that means something - its not like you cant tell that a German sounding guildname is German...

An actual flag is pretty pointless due to the random shuffles. It wouldnt do much (and inevitably kitten over those that flags or dont flag every reschuffle because its never going to be even numbers for all languages).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

This has been an issue already for long, and I hate it aswell. It becomes an even bigger issue when you are on a smaller server (medium sized, 500 gems) like Blacktide on EU and you get linked to a german server. 

Myself, I am not a native English speaker, but like most countries, English was taught at schools on my country. German and French are not mandatory to follow, so a lot of people don't do it. 

In the end though, I have no problem following commanders from these communities. If you tell the commander that you are English, they normally "spice their language up" with a mixture of both. I have had commanders in the past that would start in German and then say it in English sometimes in between as well. Also by the "energy level" of a commander (most get hyped for a fight) you know what is going to happen.

This is something that I think will not change, simple as that. Some of these communities already exist since launch, and they will not change their language. Especially since nobody really knows yet how alliances will work.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

No, but it should.  The World Restructuring FAQ mentions being able to do this as a potential for using language to help match players up.  Maybe Anet will use a player's individual language setting instead?

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

No, but it should.  The World Restructuring FAQ mentions being able to do this as a potential for using language to help match players up.  Maybe Anet will use a player's individual language setting instead?

But how do you match that fairly under the basic idea of world restructuring average population?

If say 1500 people choose Spanish... Anet would be forced to make a team with them as base. Alright. But lets say the average team is 2500 people when all players are counted. Do you dump 1000 random players in there that's *not* set language? Do you put a 500 man German and 500 man English guild there to play with the 1500 Spanish? But what if the 500 man English guild picked English and the 500 man German guild picked German? How could they ever be matched there? 

Or do you just let 1500 Spanish stay with their own team and never add any more players to them as you match them against 2500 + 2500 man teams?

Would they actually choose to be that kitten? Heck even if we assume that it's very popular to choose language... What happens when we have 3500 Spanish? They cant be on the same team. The average is 2500. GG, 1000 people that has selected Spanish as their language get kittened up the rear. And technically you cant match them anywhere else, because then you'd be matching them with people that selected another language again. Delete their accounts? 😛

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I'm glad it made you laugh.

Obviously Anet doesn't have an English only option that's not what I said they should have.

My point was 

The server I joined is international but with the agreement that it's English in chat hence why I joined.

I would not join a DE/FR/SP server and make this post as I appreciate English is not the primary language and I am definitely not suggesting anything other than English is me being "I-dont-want-you-here-speaking-your-gobbletygook" that's your assumption not my opinion and I'm sorry you think this.

You are also correct in the statement of needing it in the modern life however this is a game not the stock market and I find it hard to see it as a forced educational platform rooted in the real world when I can shoot magic and go invisible.

If you think this situation is fine great! Play more wvw I am currently in PvP/PVE until it ends and if it stays I will have to join an English only guild or accept that wvw has no room for random roaming/zerging with my server.

16 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

But how do you match that fairly under the basic idea of world restructuring average population?

If say 1500 people choose Spanish... Anet would be forced to make a team with them as base. Alright. But lets say the average team is 2500 people when all players are counted. Do you dump 1000 random players in there that's *not* set language? Do you put a 500 man German and 500 man English guild there to play with the 1500 Spanish? But what if the 500 man English guild picked English and the 500 man German guild picked German? How could they ever be matched there? 

Or do you just let 1500 Spanish stay with their own team and never add any more players to them as you match them against 2500 + 2500 man teams?

Would they actually choose to be that kitten? Heck even if we assume that it's very popular to choose language... What happens when we have 3500 Spanish? They cant be on the same team. The average is 2500. GG, 1000 people that has selected Spanish as their language get kittened up the rear. And technically you cant match them anywhere else, because then you'd be matching them with people that selected another language again. Delete their accounts? 😛

All good questions.  I doubt Anet has thought much about how to implement the idea.  My guess is it wouldn't be a guarantee, only a weighted metric.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Why should they have done it? Right now there are 2 full German Servers, so there is a demand for them. And even the people like me who are fluent in english and have no problem communicating in english can see why only int servers are a horrible idea and that there is a reason every developer adds French, Spanisch and German Servers in theire MMOs.

28 minutes ago, Thea Cherry.6327 said:

Why should they have done it? Right now there are 2 full German Servers, so there is a demand for them. And even the people like me who are fluent in english and have no problem communicating in english can see why only int servers are a horrible idea and that there is a reason every developer adds French, Spanisch and German Servers in theire MMOs.

And you are missing the point.

Since PvE uses megaservers, its all international there already. And if we get world restructure... worlds dont exist anymore. There would be no such selection when you start the game, just choose EU or NA. For new players a team would be joined in the WvW menu.

Which leads to the question... does random WvW teams have languages? 

I argue they cant due to previously mentioned points.

You cant designate an entire team "Spanish" just because a Spanish guild got randomly assigned there. At best, you could list the guilds/alliances there with possible future language tags, which is up to players to decide. But Anet designating it would be stupid. They should have already removed the tags to start the process.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

And you are missing the point.

Since PvE uses megaservers, its all international there already. And if we get world restructure... worlds dont exist anymore. There would be no such selection when you start the game, just choose EU or NA. For new players a team would be joined in the WvW menu.

Which leads to the question... does random WvW teams have languages? 

I argue they cant due to previously mentioned points.

You cant designate an entire team "Spanish" just because a Spanish guild got randomly assigned there. At best, you could list the guilds/alliances there with possible future language tags, which is up to players to decide. But Anet designating it would be stupid. They should have already removed the tags to start the process.

Dawdler, iam not missing your point (and i don't think you are missing mine either), we are just not on point with our standings. 😄

I prefer the "international" servers. And I'm German. (German players often annoying and tryint to be too elitist. That is why I selected a German server back then at the beginning - when servers still were relevant even in PvE.)

Yes ... now that they create this system ... with mixing everyone - without keeping the worlds/severs - they can get rid of the language thing completely ... except maybe in the lfg tool. For WvW the guilds should form themselves and create alliances ...

The main problem though ... will be if small players without a guild will get mached into something with a different language. With many small guilds matched together (or medium sized guilds) ... there could be a mixed number of people that speak English + also big number of ones that do not speak English. Not a problem for the solo player that gets mached into this. Big alliance of a specifig language blocking almost the whole slot (playerbase) ... where the system only needs to at a handful players to fill it up (for balancing) ... that is the thing that will create problems.

We only can hope that it slowly will lead to getting mixed teams where people learn to use English only in the long-term. In map and team chat. (The local languages only in guild chat.) Other than that ... still possible to run around randomly and play. But I guess if teams want to play seriously they'd try to speak English to include the other people that do not speak their locale language. I would be pretty lost if everyone suddenly spoke French or Spanish. 😄

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 1