Can I see what happens when I report someone?

As the title says, when I report a player (for any reason) I receive an acknowledgement and then... nothing.

I don't ever know what happened with that report, I don't know if I wasted my time, I don't know if it was even looked at by a real person or if a bot just scans chat logs.

As a bit of background, I play PvP quite a lot and unsurprisingly encounter a fair amount of toxicity, I've always been a 'report and move on' type of person, I don't engage with these kind of players because it doesn't make anything better. So I report the player and then that's it. With the PvP population being in the state that it is means I am very likely to encounter these players again and again, and some of the players I encounter are particularly aggressive, and I don't think they should be allowed to carry on with impunity.

I understand it's not necessarily my right to know exactly who may have had action taken against them, but it would be nice to know that my reports are actually making as difference. Is there any information provided on player reports, disciplinary action taken etc?

As a suggestion, in league of Legends, the client pops up with a message stating that my report lead to some kind of action being taken, though it doesn't specify what my report was or the particular player, it at least lets me know that something happened.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It would be nice to be able to follow the report cases in account website.

Like logon in account settings, have a tab „ open support cases“ and you can see if a employee accepted the case, what the status is and the end result.

lots of IT companies offer this to their customers already in customer login page today so the customers dont need to call the hotline but can follow the status themselfes.

helps the companies to get rid of the voices who say the company never takes care or such.

Edited by roederich.2716
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Remind me where in the ToS it says "toxicity" is a bannable violation 

• Inappropriate in-game behavior, such as obscene, offensive, or racist talk or behavior; abuse of another player; harassment; etc.

I mean it's the first item listed on the code of conduct, took me about 15 seconds to find.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Evildeadedd.7128 said:
  • Inappropriate in-game behavior, such as obscene, offensive, or racist talk or behavior; abuse of another player; harassment; etc.

I mean it's the first item listed on the code of conduct, took me about 15 seconds to find.

It'd be nice if they actually banned for anything but racist talk/behavior.  It seems abuse, harassment, general offensive and obscene language is fine as long as it's not racist or bigoted.

Honestly, I'd be okay with "You've sent 30 reports this month.  Of those, N amount of reports had been addressed and the accounts in question have had actions taken against them. Thank you for keeping Tyria a safe, welcoming place for everyone!"

It doesn't have to be to an individual either.  It could be to everyone as a general statement t o show that reports actually work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Davey Woo.7930 said:

As the title says, when I report a player (for any reason) I receive an acknowledgement and then... nothing.

I don't ever know what happened with that report, I don't know if I wasted my time, I don't know if it was even looked at by a real person or if a bot just scans chat logs.

As a bit of background, I play PvP quite a lot and unsurprisingly encounter a fair amount of toxicity, I've always been a 'report and move on' type of person, I don't engage with these kind of players because it doesn't make anything better. So I report the player and then that's it. With the PvP population being in the state that it is means I am very likely to encounter these players again and again, and some of the players I encounter are particularly aggressive, and I don't think they should be allowed to carry on with impunity.

I understand it's not necessarily my right to know exactly who may have had action taken against them, but it would be nice to know that my reports are actually making as difference. Is there any information provided on player reports, disciplinary action taken etc?

As a suggestion, in league of Legends, the client pops up with a message stating that my report lead to some kind of action being taken, though it doesn't specify what my report was or the particular player, it at least lets me know that something happened.

From the Knowledge Base:  The Support Team will not discuss the outcome of any player report. Each report is investigated by a Game Master, who will take the appropriate action if the report can be substantiated. The lack of a response does not mean there was no penalty for their behavior!

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010187753-Reporting-a-Player-or-Guild

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

Like logon in account settings, have a tab „ open support cases“ and you can see if a employee accepted the case, what the status is and the end result.

lots of IT companies offer this to their customers already in customer login page today so the customers dont need to call the hotline but can follow the status themselfes.

helps the companies to get rid of the voices who say the company never takes care or such.

It already works like that in GW2. It's just specifically reports aimed at other players that are threated differently - and it's completely intentional. In short, Anet does not debate about their moderation policies and actions, and any feedback we might receive (or, usually, not receive) is completely up to Anet's discretion, and offered only when they feel they need to give us some info. And that, when it happens (which is extremely rare), usually is about some mass actions, not individual cases, and is always offered to the community as a whole, not to specific players only.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

You can do that if you use the support link on the website rather than the in-game report function. But they'll only update you on tickets related to your own account, if you've reported another player they won't tell you about it.

Click on Support, sign in using the same email and password you use for the game, then click on the little arrow next to your account name and pick 'My Tickets' and you can see all the tickets you've submitted and what happened with them.

I've just had a look through mine and the only one which doesn't have a response is when I reported an advert on Facebook violating Anet's copyright (one of those free browsers games using images of GW2 characters and UI in their adverts), which is similar to reporting other players in that it's not really anything to do with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a Reddit chat dated 10 years ago about reporting in GW and apparently Area Net used name and shame. I don't know why they stopped but I can imagine all the Americans banging on about free speech even though they don't pay for a subscription and signed an agreement with Area net. If you want to find Google 'gw why are people such dicks in chat'?

Edited by Oblivia.7430
posted b4 finished.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 12/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Report, Block and move on... at that point, you've done your community service... trust in ANet to handle it as they deem appropriate.

Hmm your posting style reminds me of someone, I just cannot put my finger on it. Oh hang on I know, I shall use the forum search function.....

• Haha 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:18 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

It isn't about punishment, it isn't about justice.

Kind of true, only issue is when reporting hacks/cheats they ask for evidence as well. On the support ticket I provided a video.

It's never been viewed. 

This isn't really an issue - but it is indicative of the report system not being actually used. So now I don't bother, because I don't believe there's any point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 12/8/2022 at 10:01 PM, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Report, Block and move on... at that point, you've done your community service... trust in ANet to handle it as they deem appropriate.

Thats what they want you to do, but sadly the trust is just not there anymore. Numerous times i´ve reported multiboxing botting farms (10+++ accounts with similar names). Then check back the location and find them doing the exact same thing for straight 24+ hours. There is just no way in hell that one guy can control that many accounts for that long without it being unsupervised or accounts being shared between gold farmers..

Those kittening bots are absolutely everywhere these days. So please tell me if you feel you´ve done the community a service by reporting...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

So please tell me if you feel you´ve done the community a service by reporting

I guess I am confident that if nobody reported anything, nothing would be done... so while I agree that actions and consequences may be slow in coming, and are not transparent to the rest of us, I choose to continue to report under the belief that it does matter to some degree; whether ANet agrees with me/us on any specific issue is their prerogative.  I would presume that it also takes resources to follow up and gather evidence to action.

As has been mentioned in several replies this thread, a general update (monthly, quarterly, whatever) with some basic statistics would  be nice to reassure that actions are taken, and perhaps serve the community a public reminder that actions contrary to the EULA/Code of conduct are taken seriously and addressed.  
"ANet has reviewed ### user-based reports"
"ANet has issued ### suspensions for ### behavior"

"ANet has issued ### account bans for ### behavior"
It doesn't have to be too detailed; but providing line-items for botting, toxicity, gold-farming, etc. would provide more transparency while still maintaining a level of confidentiality that ANet does not want to breach.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Numerous times i´ve reported multiboxing botting farms (10+++ accounts with similar names). Then check back the location and find them doing the exact same thing for straight 24+ hours.

Hmm. So you’re saying you spent 24 hours to spy on them. Making sure it’s the same names the whole time and kept record of what they were doing? Now that’s dedication. I’m impressed. If you could do that though. Why is it impossible for them to farm by following tos? And if you did not, how do you know they were there 24 hours?

That said, I would just want to point out I’m neutral to this kind of farming. I do not support botting. It’s Anets rules so when I see these crowds, I just move on. They do not bother me nor do they ruin my gameplay. There is no way for us to truly know if they are following these rules or not. (With exception for the turtle botnappers)

If you reported them, they were probably checked by Anet and deemed to be following the rules. If not, they will be banned when they do ban waves like they use to. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Hmm. So you’re saying you spent 24 hours to spy on them. Making sure it’s the same names the whole time and kept record of what they were doing? Now that’s dedication. I’m impressed. If you could do that though. Why is it impossible for them to farm by following tos? And if you did not, how do you know they were there 24 hours?

That said, I would just want to point out I’m neutral to this kind of farming. I do not support botting. It’s Anets rules so when I see these crowds, I just move on. They do not bother me nor do they ruin my gameplay. There is no way for us to truly know if they are following these rules or not. (With exception for the turtle botnappers)

If you reported them, they were probably checked by Anet and deemed to be following the rules. If not, they will be banned when they do ban waves like they use to. 

No i went to bed and came back the next day and exact same characters were in exact same spot doing exact same stuff. (yes, you could split hairs that maybe they logged off too, but i pretty much doubt it)

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

That type of info may help those who believe they are trying to keep the game safe from bots is actually being helpful. As it is now there is  zero evidence to support it helps. I don't bother reporting.  I honestly think it is pointless and it's very clear on the lw4 maps it's a free for all botting season there.  Said it before will say it again,  when more than half the map population is afk farmers and bots Anet has a serious problem.

Edited by Daniyyel.3428
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3