Aurene cape [Merged]

I think it's really crappy that anet is giving away the Aurene cape for free when they made people pay $120 for the Aurene statue to get the cape and now they're giving it away for free it's like a slap in the face. I want My money back since I can get the cape for free and I bought the statue just for the cape. 

Edited by Sadistic.1572
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I usually do not agree with the concept of exclusive items but, given the price for the statue/cape, I do have to agree with the OP on this one.  The cape should not have been a give away.  Offered at some time as part of another exclusive package, maybe.  But not given away like this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

I bought this with the statue. And for that price this item should of been exclusive ..and know I see it the Amazon prime gameing. This prouble turned me away from ever buying big items from this company…. And this is coming from a person wish he paid 160$ or what ever for the shiva statue to get the shatter emote for ff14

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 11

It's a really nice cape, I am pleased to have prime for it. I really love Aurene. ^^ Had no idea it was from a statue, but things like that are an added bonus. Kinda like my Matoya hat and minion from the ffxiv encyclopaedias. If they sold them as stand alone or gave away with prime I wouldn't really be bothered. I bought the books for the book not the hat + minion, they were just a nice bonus.

Unless they explicitly stated the cape was going to be exclusive to purchase of the statue? Then fair enough being angry they went back on their word!  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I kind of understand the OP's point, but still glad the cape became available via other means after a time.  If I have an "exclusive" item, I won't be too upset, if down the line others get a chance at it.  That means that at some point I may get access to something I did not get earlier..

Star Trek Online when it first launched had a number of special promos with different retailers.   Each retailer had its own exclusive item.  Now the items have made their way into the game via other means and I was able to acquire things that I could not when I originally bought my copy at the retailer that had the exclusive I most wanted of the choices at the time.

• Like 2

I kinda see where the OP is coming from, but only because the cape was released through promos almost immediately after people dropped Big Money on getting it with the statue. With all the 'exclusive' 'limited edition' 'get it before it's gone' hype that surrounded the statue, it was a reasonable assumption that the cape that came with it was a similarly-limited deal. And then a month or two later it started showing up across various freebie promotions. Iirc, it's been offered this way three times since EoD dropped (Alienware x2, Prime x1).

That said, I don't mind at all that it's available in other ways, it's just that the timeline for it happening was much faster with the cape than other, similar offerings.

• Confused 3

I brought this issue up the first time they did this with Alienware. Sufficed to say, this whole situation is very irksome. It's also very apparent that those who didn't buy the statue don't quite understand the frustration.

Why they don't just alter the texture/image, or give it some variance from the statue version, is beyond me. You're talking about, at most, a texture change with some work on colour channels. You're not talking about an entirely new mesh/model where you've got to re-do all the animations and deal with culling/clipping issues.

(omegalul I'm ready for the confuse spam squad)

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I kinda see where the OP is coming from, but only because the cape was released through promos almost immediately after people dropped Big Money on getting it with the statue. With all the 'exclusive' 'limited edition' 'get it before it's gone' hype that surrounded the statue, it was a reasonable assumption that the cape that came with it was a similarly-limited deal. And then a month or two later it started showing up across various freebie promotions. Iirc, it's been offered this way three times since EoD dropped (Alienware x2, Prime x1).

That said, I don't mind at all that it's available in other ways, it's just that the timeline for it happening was much faster with the cape than other, similar offerings.

As far as documented, the first time the Aurene Logo Cape became available via promotions was September of 2022.  The Aurene Elder Dragon statue was offered for purchase in August 2021, and delivered ~January of 2022, 8-9 months before the first cape giveaway. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Merchandise#Aurene_Elder_Dragon_Premium_Collector_Statue

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aurene_Logo_Cape

• Confused 3

33 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

As far as documented, the first time the Aurene Logo Cape became available via promotions was September of 2022.  The Aurene Elder Dragon statue was offered for purchase in August 2021, and delivered ~January of 2022, 8-9 months before the first cape giveaway. 

The cape came with the statue via a code inside the box. The promotions were the second/third/fourth time it became available.

You can see from GW2's own promo: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/prepurchase-your-elder-dragon-aurene-collectors-statue/

"Delicate in appearance but sturdy in make, this premium collector’s statue includes a code for an in-game cape featuring an iconic image of Aurene"

Edited by Demonhead.7584
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yes, the code for the cape came with purchase of the statue.  It has been offered twice, only twice, since.  Once from Alienware in September (8 months after the statue/cape code) and in December from Prime Gaming (11 months after the statue/cape code).  At no time was it offered 'immediately after' the statue/cape code purchase. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It has been offered twice, only twice, since.

Three times. Alienware offered it and then re-upped the supply of item codes after the first batch ran out. After this, the Prime promotion. So, three total (four if you count the original release with the statue).

At no time was it offered 'immediately after' the statue/cape code purchase. 

I did say 'almost immediately', as in 'quite soon after its first appearance'. The statue (and code card) didn't get to people until January, and the first promo hit 8 months later (So, not one or two months as I mentioned, I will concede). 8 months seems early to re-release a promo/exclusive item. You're free to disagree with me about that, but it's all I was pointing out with regard to why OP might be feeling the way they do.

All cosmetics in GW2 lose (and should lose) their exclusivity at some point, this particular thing just lost it quickly and therefore it's not surprising that some people might feel disappointed about that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As a statue owner myself, this is really disappointing to read. I had no idea that it was handed out for free in september already, but imo teasing stuff as limited and exclusive and then giving it away for free in big numbers shortly after is pretty shabby. 

I'm even more glad now that I got the statue with a 40% discount...

Edited by Nash.2681
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree with the OP. Sometimes it is nice to keep some items exclusive. Like the Miniature Kuunavang that came ONLY with the Collector's Edition of Guild Wars: (1) Factions. It never was given out in any other way and it remains a rare and special miniature. I would have been quite pissed if ANet would have just given it away for free in some commercial promotion.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I just know with this move they did I refuse to put money to this game know and over the coarse of the 10 years most likely bought gem over 1000$ if not closer to 2000… overtime for Many years helped my addiction…

a.k.a. This I just a alt account for the forums

• Confused 5

I find it kinda hard to understand why people seek exclusivity in games. You want to be the special person that is the only one that has this special item? Well, if you're able to aquire it - others are able to get it too. Be that by also having bought that expensive statue, or later during those promotions. Unless the company decides (for whatever reason) to make a totally unique one-time only item for a single player, you'll never have an 'exclusive' item that no one else has. There will always be others having the same thing, be that few or more people - you'll run across them eventually either way. I'd only spend money on something if I really want it for what it is, and not for how many (or few) others may also have it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I can see the OP’s point and yeah, it should have been reworked to change it up a little.  However it’s not the first time that ANet has given away a rare item. A long time ago they did it with a mini pet that was originally only available if you went to an event and got a code. And they did it again with the Celebration Hat that was originally given out at the start of the game.  At this point it’s best to assume that no item is guaranteed to be exclusive and base your spending on that.