Revamped - High ping (270-300) class (Necro - Scourge/Reaper/Harbringer or others (see comment)) suggestion wanted from Australia

koop.3879

NEW POST:

Returning player - haven't played in 5 or more years.

My ping sucks in Australia (270 - 300 ms).

I play Necro - Which is better with high ping, Scourge/Reaper/Harbringer?

Any suggestion is gratefully received and you deserve a cookie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD POST:

Started recently again hoping for some nostalgia wave and fun. I started the game from the usual starting point (on the line 😉 )searching the usual go to Q&A - 'High ping class suggestions'.

I browsed a fair bit and landed on Necro as it was one of the most suggested, revolving around being ranged and tanky (used to play thief without a care of ping back then when there was no expansions).

Coming back in, I found out the necro has three paths with the expansions? but the ones that was mentioned the most were scourge and reaper, one being ranged (condi focused) and the other, melee (power focused). Not too sure the third (harbringer) is about, probs will search more after this post.

I'm pretty casual and just wanted to get back into it for general content (OW, WvW, PvP) and plan to purchase the good ol' bundle (all expansion) for some good time, not too serious, but the ping is already effecting 'some' moments in game as I'm leveling up (in the 50s) as core necro (condi focused).

I've accepted there's no getting around ping, but I just want to play something that I'll have fun with, ping being a minimum impact. I automatically thought scourge (range and condi focused) but didn't really find anyone suggesting either or when searching around any deeper.

I don't mind any suggestion, hoping to see what people has to say so keeping an open mind and willing to jump ship (from Necro) if need be.

Interested classes: Necro, Elementalist, Engineer, Ranger, Revenant, Mesmer

Thanks for your time 🙂

Edited by koop.3879
No response.
  • Like 1

• koop.3879 changed the title to High ping class (Necro - Scourge/Reaper/Harbringer or others (see comment)) suggestion wanted from Australia

Hey, I've personally played with high ping that varied from 240-800. I highly recommend mesmer if you do mainly WvW, especially condition mesmer. If you're idle it can actually play to your advantage with certain weapons like staff + their clones in combination with stealth.

I haven't played with high ping in quite some time (this was long before EoD launch), but if you're a PvE only player - mechanist might be the best. I've cooked meals, fallen asleep, forgot my PC was on, etc - only to come back to the game and found that my robot cleared entire areas repeatedly. 

I'm actually working on making HOPE and needed to do urban battlegrounds fractal. I couldn't get a group since it wasn't one of the dailies. Anyways, the end area with all the ascalonian guards, arrow carts, ballistas, etc - I was afk to cook some food and came back to find it completely empty.. my mech had been aggro'd by an arrow cart and went on a killing spree. I definitely recommend this class since you can do one action every 4 hours and still complete content.

Of the others you mentioned, necro is doable with high ping but I'd avoid ranger, revenant, and elementalist personally.

• Thanks 2

• koop.3879 changed the title to Revamped - High ping (270-300) class (Necro - Scourge/Reaper/Harbringer or others (see comment)) suggestion wanted from Australia
On 12/8/2022 at 11:27 PM, Strider.7849 said:

Hey, I've personally played with high ping that varied from 240-800. I highly recommend mesmer if you do mainly WvW, especially condition mesmer. If you're idle it can actually play to your advantage with certain weapons like staff + their clones in combination with stealth.

I haven't played with high ping in quite some time (this was long before EoD launch), but if you're a PvE only player - mechanist might be the best. I've cooked meals, fallen asleep, forgot my PC was on, etc - only to come back to the game and found that my robot cleared entire areas repeatedly. 

I'm actually working on making HOPE and needed to do urban battlegrounds fractal. I couldn't get a group since it wasn't one of the dailies. Anyways, the end area with all the ascalonian guards, arrow carts, ballistas, etc - I was afk to cook some food and came back to find it completely empty.. my mech had been aggro'd by an arrow cart and went on a killing spree. I definitely recommend this class since you can do one action every 4 hours and still complete content.

Of the others you mentioned, necro is doable with high ping but I'd avoid ranger, revenant, and elementalist personally.

Thanks for the tip! I thought mesmer was too squishy and the type of game play was difficult for high ping users? I remeber there was a lot of moving around and blink usage which was difficult for high ping?

Havent tried engineer before so I might look into that 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, koop.3879 said:

Thanks for the tip! I thought mesmer was too squishy and the type of game play was difficult for high ping users? I remeber there was a lot of moving around and blink usage which was difficult for high ping?

If you use a two-handed weapon and have no buffs to differentiate you from your clones, the occasional "just stand and auto" trick will work against less experienced players.  Given the inherent volatility of high ping, your moments of acting like a clone will probably be random, making it even harder for less experienced players.  People are looking for the mesmer acting like a human, not a clone.

Note, I say less experienced players.  Experienced players will have you marked, so this won't work unless you can also force a de-target.

Just food for thought as you play the game.

• Like 1