The newest WoW addon is being highly praised for something I'd also love to encounter in GW2s next expansion ...

Vetkin.6041

On 12/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, yoni.7015 said:

I play this game to fight enemies and not to enjoy the landscape. The mob density in Guild Wars 2 is fine. 

Yeah people like us are being pushed out for twitter screenshot posters sadly...

Every asian MMO is only kept alive by them, for example.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

On 12/24/2022 at 3:44 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

If only the Vistas were in mob free zones. Some are but many aren't. I've always found that odd, if not disappointing. I mean what's the point of the Vista segments if you can get attacked while watching them? 

Makes. Zero. Sense.

or...spend....5..seconds..clearing..mobs..around...vista then get your reward? 

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

I actually don't think the spawns of the mobs or distribution is the issue in most cases. I've found GW2 fairly to very reasonable on it. FF14 was -terrible- for that. Not just placement, but how every mob was hostile. Why are these doe deers attacking me, a loud warrior/whatever, they'd take off at the sight of me.

Anet does this well, with their mixture, again in most cases. I actually think it should also be zone specific. Someone mentioned Orr early on, Orr -should- be a hellscape of undead. Because it is, and the mobs should reflect that. Likewise, a map like Gendarran could do with less random spiders and wargs hanging out in open fields which doesn't seem to vibe with how spiders or wargs/wolves tend to operate, which is sticking to brush/caves/etc.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 12:37 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

You can still watch the landscape, I find it pretty ridiculous that these complaints are more or less repeatedly demanding for the players to be able to safely randomly afk at any time, any place they are in. The game is designed around active gameplay, not your wishes to just leave character in the middle of the map and go afk to do something else. Want to sightsee? Plenty of space to do so. Want to randomly afk in the middle of the map whenever/wherever and be unconditionally safe? Too bad.

Not only that, but also there is no penalty of significance for dying in this game so someone can go afk, or spend their time smelling the roses, or even taking screenshots, regardless of mod density and aggro range. One can do all of those things even if their character is no longer vertical.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

or...spend....5..seconds..clearing..mobs..around...vista then get your reward? 

I've noticed many do not bother to clear mobs when farming or vista viewing. Instead, they'll waste time running around trying to avoid them. Takes a few seconds to clear them and by the time you're done, you'll be able to get on your mounts. Avoiding will take lots longer and if ignored, instead of being able to mount right away, they'll be forced to run unmounted. Just makes no sense.

-----

There's already complains about how areas such as New Kaineng seems deserted and not vibrant. Yellow-named mobs not attacking unless aggroed is a very good reason. If you want to look at the landscape, just move out of the range of mobs, and their pre-determined routes. There are always areas that's safe. If you want to afk, it takes 2 seconds to log out to character screen. Why is it important to afk with the character logged in?

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

On 12/26/2022 at 1:39 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

Yeah people like us are being pushed out for twitter screenshot posters sadly...

I guess it's because you are interested in battling mobs only that you failed to notice that this process started before twitter even was created. The reason why we're playing MMORPGs and not MUDs still is exactly because people did care about game visuals.

And as for GW2, let's just remind you that one of the very first key features of this game devs mentioned and shown was engine improvement in grass texture and animation. Not to mention the whole Pre-Searing Movement in GW1.

The "people like you" were never actually pushed out, btw. They've just always been a small group in the first place, and thus got outnumbered fast as soon as the games became more mainstream.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 12/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

I guess it's because you are interested in battling mobs only that you failed to notice that this process started before twitter even was created. The reason why we're playing MMORPGs and not MUDs still is exactly because people did care about game visuals.

And as for GW2, let's just remind you that one of the very first key features of this game devs mentioned and shown was engine improvement in grass texture and animation. Not to mention the whole Pre-Searing Movement in GW1.

The "people like you" were never actually pushed out, btw. They've just always been a small group in the first place, and thus got outnumbered fast as soon as the games became more mainstream.

@this whole comment chain: I don't know where the idea of "you either have nice visuals or active combat/gameplay" came from, but that's not how it works at all. The existance of games as they are now, clearly including gw2, comes from the fact that both matter, not just one of them. Still doesn't mean there's a reason or a need to change an action mmorpg into some peaceful sightseeing/walking simulator (and that still doesn't mean people can't sightsee).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 12/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Login Farmer Two.4573 said:

The world feels already too friendly to me...I'd pay for a hard mode version of maps, like we had in GW1.

GW1 was a different beast entirey. The world zones were instanced, so that made it possible for them to incorporate HM versions of them. How this is supposed to work in a persistent world and how many people would use this option (like a HM shard) versus the resources spent on making a HM version of every zone in the game is the most likely bottleneck. Not to mention that zones will be split between NM and HM populations which will make both maps not have enough people for things like events and WB's.

So yeah, by itself it's a nice idea, but I think this is not realistic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

@this whole comment chain: I don't know where the idea of "you either have nice visuals or active combat/gameplay" came from, but that's not how it works at all. The existance of games as they are now, clearly including gw2, comes from the fact that both matter, not just one of them.

Duh, that's rather obvious. I just don't know why are you telling this to me, not to the person i was responding to.

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Still doesn't mean there's a reason or a need to change an action mmorpg into some peaceful sightseeing/walking simulator (and that still doesn't mean people can't sightsee).

Then it's good that noone in this thread asks for that, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Duh, that's rather obvious. I just don't know why are you telling this to me, not to the person i was responding to.

I think you've missed "@this whole comment chain" at the start of my post? I quoted you because at the moment that was the latest post of "that whole comment chain" I was commenting on.

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then it's good that noone in this thread asks for that, right?

That's not true from what I understand after reading through this whole thread considering posts about not being able to randomly go afk at any time, including the very first post praising the potential ability to "...land in most places and not die if you go away for a few minutes."

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's not true from what I understand after reading through this whole thread considering posts about not being able to randomly go afk at any time, including the very first post praising the potential ability to "...land in most places and not die if you go away for a few minutes."

Or we can find the middle ground and for a few a hours per day the mobs are not agressive (resting) ,rather than telling people "nonono you cannot have" 😛

Spoiler

(we cannot have peacefull times ! We must train them to not skip leg day and become faster raiders !)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Or we can find the middle ground and for a few a hours per day the mobs are not agressive (resting) ,rather than telling people "nonono you cannot have" 😛

So basically we all couldn't play a few hours every days (it's the only hours you can play? Too bad for you) because some people don't want to bother to take 15sec to find a safe spot or 2sec to disconnect?

No, thanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

So basically we all couldn't play a few hours every days (it's the only hours you can play? Too bad for you) because some people don't want to bother to take 15sec to find a safe spot or 2sec to disconnect?

No, thanks. 

You can have 22 hours , for the rest of the day to get ganked by mobs 😛 

(dont try to push people to become raiders faster....)

• Confused 5

You do know most people don't have 24h a day to play but more like 1 or 2 hours ? 

If it's during the rest period, that would be a really bad experience. 

Better than having none , like some posters that constantly say "nonono we cannot have it" .

This is how you grow the game

• Confused 5

So where is the need for rest hours, if we could just mount skiped the problem ? Just mount skip the problem

I dont know.

The OP wants something that exist in another mmo (non agresive mobs for RP) and i have to respond to people saying "nonono we cannot have it , because it will break the game" , while those people can skip the mobs with mount 😛

xaxaxaxa

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I think you've missed "@this whole comment chain" at the start of my post? I quoted you because at the moment that was the latest post of "that whole comment chain" I was commenting on.

Then you either are reading very selectively, or tend to have a black and white outlook on everything. Hint: people are not asking about removing all danger, like you suggest they do. They just want it to not be everpresent. We're not talking about making the maps safe. We're merely talking about making some spots safer. If in your eyes that automatically would turn the game into a "peaceful sightseeing/walking simulator", then either you weren't paying enough attention, or you are intentionally misrepresenting the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then you either are reading very selectively, or tend to have a black and white outlook on everything. Hint: people are not asking about removing all danger, like you suggest they do. They just want it to not be everpresent. We're not talking about making the maps safe. We're merely talking about making some spots safer. If in your eyes that automatically would turn the game into a "peaceful sightseeing/walking simulator", then either you weren't paying enough attention, or you are intentionally misrepresenting the situation.

When someone is complainng about "not being able to land in most places and going afk without being attacked by mobs" or "not being able to stop wherever to start chatting" then yes, that is pretty much what would be required for them to have their wish. Because if they don't want it to be "wherever" or "in most places" then they can already do it in the game as it currently is since the danger is already not everpresent.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Except that some spots are already safer and danger is already not everpresent. So, if they already have what you claim they are asking for, though some of the requests contradict your claim, then what more could they be asking for?

Reducing the danger while afk does not prevent their characters from dying as one mob unopposed can kill a character every bit as dead as could five. The only way to prevent character death if a player chooses to go afk without choosing a spot where they wont be attacked would be to completely eliminate opponents from the open world.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Except that some spots are already safer and danger is already not everpresent. So, if they already have what you claim they are asking for, though some of the requests contradict your claim, then what more could they be asking for?

Pretty sure you're mostly talking about starting areas in core tyria here. If the op feels this way and others do too, then maybe there's not enough "safe areas" wouldn't you say?

You can afk in a wp in the pof highlands and still get attacked. You're not even off the beaten path yet.  I don't think op is that crazy when that happens. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 4