The newest WoW addon is being highly praised for something I'd also love to encounter in GW2s next expansion ...

Vetkin.6041

I had this problem in PoF, due to the very long aggro, but in EoD I find it fine: there are few villages/outposts where you can rest almost safely. Or maybe it's because now we can use the skyscale, so it's easier to just fly and wait mid-air if you have to afk for a bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Yes, i know. I have lily of elon teleport. Its still a minor annoyance sometimes (EDIT: escaping is easy, but eats more time to get back where you were before you teleported if you want to continue whatever you were doing..).

I think you missed my point which was that the lounge passes I mentioned have 'return to your previous location' option. The Lily of Elon pass does not have this. (I have all the passes mentioned & HPS.)

But if you don't want to get any of the other passes (or the Home Portal Stone) then just go to your guild hall to afk. Then from the guild panel click leave guild hall and you'll be returned to your previous location. So there's really no need to spend any time running back to where you came from.

5 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

The guild hall is two clicks away with a return to the location you ported in from. If you have Armistice / Mistlock /Thousand Seas pass or home portal stone then that safe spot (with the return) can be only one click away.

It will likely not return you to the same map instance however. Just to the same spot.

Besides, yes, sure, you can go WvW, guildhall and certain gemshop lounges to be "safe". You can even just plain close the game. Or not go to that unsafe map in the first place, right? The map in question will still remain overcrowded with aggro mobs however. You running away will not change that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It will likely not return you to the same map instance however. Just to the same spot.

Besides, yes, sure, you can go WvW, guildhall and certain gemshop lounges to be "safe". You can even just plain close the game. Or not go to that unsafe map in the first place, right? The map in question will still remain overcrowded with aggro mobs however. You running away will not change that.

Every map has spots where you are safe and can stare at the landscape for hours if you want to. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It will if used within ~10 minutes or so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

18 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

It will if used within ~10 minutes or so.

Nope. I have tried, i can go into guildhall, harvest nodes(fast) and leave instance immediately, and end up on a different map instance than the one i came from. The only situation where you can be decently certain to get back where you left from is if there are your guildies/groupmembers on that map, and the map was nowhere close to being capped when you were leaving (because the map does not reserve a slot for you, and can be capped while you were away). Or, obviously, if there's only one instance of that map that is active at the moment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Nope. I have tried, i can go into guildhall, harvest nodes(fast) and leave instance immediately, and end up on a different map instance than the one i came from. The only situation where you can be decently certain to get back where you left from is if there are your guildies/groupmembers on that map, and the map was nowhere close to being capped when you were leaving (because the map does not reserve a slot for you, and can be capped while you were away). Or, obviously, if there's only one instance of that map that is active at the moment.

Huh... strange.
I used precisely the "reserved spot" thing for Dry Top and Dragon's End several times, always got back to the instance I left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Looks like we are not playing the same game. Without flying mount, sometimes finding a safe spot is a chore and its just easier to teleport away (and probably get attacked by whatever event happens to be on top of the waypoint you went to...)

Yup, it really looks like we are. But make sure to tell me all those places with the nearest safe spot half of the map away. Or will I just throw it in the same bag with some of the other claims like the similar recent one "can't move through desolation without being constantly demounted and unable to mount because all mobs -and their families- are instantly aggroing on me while perma ccing me!" (oh wait, I did the pof map completion last week -without skyscale- and... got demounted once. Not by mobs, but because I wasn't paying attention and ran into a pretty obviously avoidable trap 😄 ) or another claim about dragonstorm aoe field being useless because it's undodgable (which, again, is wrong because it very obviously is dodgable due to that warning zone and even if it's so undodgable for someone specific, it still isn't useless because it clearly tells the players what hit them and how they can avoid it next time)?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

26 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

There's a reason Anet ended up having to thin mob density in original Orr, and later in HoT maps. Hint: it definitely wasn't because most players liked the pre-change state.

Source? Would like to ascertain if this is indeed true or just another of your "facts"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I don't think they did thin mob density in Hot maps, I think they did it in some small/tighter areas only in VB with travel in mind though. And pretty sure it was pre-mounts. They'd probably not touch it if the mounts were already in the game at that time.

Edited by Sobx.1758
in
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Source? Would like to ascertain if this is indeed true or just another of your "facts"?

Won't find a source for this anymore, but the adjustments to spawn rates in Orr in the first year of the game are not a mystery or nothing secrtet - anyone that have played the game then should have been able to see it firsthand, the results were extremely visible. And the HoT changes were part of that big April 2016 HoT revamp that changed this in addition to many other things - also not hidden and highly visible.

You are free of course to disbelieve that those things happened if it doesn't fit your worldview. I don't really care.

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't think they did thin mob density in Hot maps, I think they did it in some small/tighter areas only in VB with travel in mind though.

VB and Auric Basin actually (there have been a number of raptor packs removed from AB trails, for example, and respawn of some mob packs on those seems to be way longer than originally too). I'm not sure about Tangled Depths - if they have done any adjustments there, it was not as visible, so it's possible that any changes i have perceived there were just a result of me getting used to the map, and not something that actually changed. And while there were significant changes to Dragon's Stand, those weren;t really about mob density - but then that map is a big one metaevent, and you are supposed to battle through it to the end, so that's not a surprise.

And yes, the purpose was to allow players to traverse the maps without being attacked every few steps like it was originally.

And pretty sure it was pre-mounts. They'd probably not touch it if the mounts were already in the game at that time.

Maybe. Regardless, it's clear they changed it because they didn't think most players liked being constantly attacked while trying to move around. And i'm quite sure they were right about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

19 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Won't find a source for this anymore, but the adjustments to spawn rates in Orr in the first year of the game are not a mystery or nothing secrtet - anyone that have played the game then should have been able to see it firsthand, the results were extremely visible. And the HoT changes were part of that big April 2016 HoT revamp that changed this in addition to many other things - also not hidden and highly visible.

You are free of course to disbelieve that those things happened if it doesn't fit your worldview. I don't really care.

VB and Auric Basin actually (there have been a number of raptor packs removed from AB trails, for example, and respawn of some mob packs on those seems to be way longer than originally too). I'm not sure about Tangled Depths - if they have done any adjustments there, it was not as visible, so it's possible that any changes i have perceived there were just a result of me getting used to the map, and not something that actually changed. And while there were significant changes to Dragon's Stand, those weren;t really about mob density - but then that map is a big one metaevent, and you are supposed to battle through it to the end, so that's not a surprise.

And yes, the purpose was to allow players to traverse the maps without being attacked every few steps like it was originally.

Maybe. Regardless, it's clear they changed it because they didn't think most players liked being constantly attacked while trying to move around. And i'm quite sure they were right about it.

Pretty sure it was just VB though, but maybe I just didn't ever notice the difference. 🤷‍♂️

The difference between having mounts and not having mounts isn't only the speed and higher amount/better utility options to evade incomming attacks, it's also the fact that when a mount gets slapped by a random arrow, it still moves exactly the same, the moment the player is slapped with a random attack... they don't move with the same speed. Yes, there's an extremely high difference between mount movement and no-mount movement, doubt any change would/should happen if the mounts were already around at the time.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

If anything, Central Tyria is the worst for this. The enemy placement is not only extremely random, but almost everything is aggro even on the starter maps. Its made the game the butt of many jokes, like how the player character (later the Commander), kills off half of Tyria just to "help" people.

To make it worse, monsters often die en mass for petty crimes, like a Skritt trying to steal shinies, when it could just turn green and run away instead. Only a few events do this, most just default to slaughter.

There's a reason for this: The devs once communicated if they should make the game less aggressive, offer alternative approaches to solving problems besides violence and so on. The playerbase responded that they liked their characters being walking murder machines.

The expansions have actually become better with these aspects. Monsters tend to be placed rather than randomly spawned, there's alot more neutral creatures, not everything gets killed just because it looked at you wrong, and so on. I'd definitely the say the core game suffers for it. Even alot of non-violent hearts like feeding some cows end up turning violent just because you can't avoid aggro while doing them.

I would absolutely love for there to be a de-aggroing pass across the whole game, at least around roads. Let anyone who strays from the path meet their unfortunate end, however.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 7

Yes, there's an extremely high difference between mount movement and no-mount movement, doubt any change would/should happen if the mounts were already around at the time.

Possible, but irrelevant in the context of my original post. Remember, that it was a response to someone that mentioned that "most players" like maps overcrowded with enemies and having to fight them every step on the way. How Anet would have approached allowing players to not have to deal with as much enemies as it originally was is as such far less important than the simple fact that they have done so. And they wouldn't have done it then if they thought players actually liked the original design.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

14 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Possible, but irrelevant in the context of my original post. Remember, that it was a response to someone that mentioned that "most players" like maps overcrowded with enemies and having to fight them every step on the way. How Anet would have approached allowing players to not have to deal with as much enemies as it originally was is as such far less important than the simple fact that they have done so. And they wouldn't have done it then if they thought players actually liked the original design.

But those changes seem to be targetting nothing more than the realistic traverse opportunities -so to speak- through the maps, not "mob density" or "players not wanting to fight the mobs". It really does seem relevant in the very context of that post. Not only that, but if the argument here is "anet changed it because players didn't like fighting" (how long was that change from the release of HoT? ~half a year?) then we can use similar reasoning to say: current state is fine (or even what most players want) since if it wasn't, it would be changed way sooner than the current... 5? years it's in the game. Mounts do indeed have an insanely strong impact on having a realistically uninterrupted traverse through the maps.

And there are still safe spots most of the time unless you're straight up going into enemy base and -for some reason- expect peace to randomly afk. Wasn't that also the point here?

(obligatory: I don't count skyscale into what I'm saying)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

• 2 weeks later...