The newest WoW addon is being highly praised for something I'd also love to encounter in GW2s next expansion ...

Vetkin.6041

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The only way to prevent character death if a player chooses to go afk without choosing a spot where they wont be attacked would be to completely eliminate opponents from the open world.

Or just make mobs neutral like what was done in WoW (did we not read OP?), meaning they don’t attack you unless you attack them first.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

37 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Pretty sure you're mostly talking about starting areas in core tyria here. If the op feels this way and others do too, then maybe there's not enough "safe areas" wouldn't you say?

You can afk in a wp in the pof highlands and still get attacked. You're not even off the beaten path yet.  I don't think op is that crazy when that happens. 

There are tons of safe spots on all maps. The only thing is you have to be familiar with the terrains. Certain waypoints are subjected to events occuring there but there are many where no mobs will go. All mobs will only patrol a certain section and will run back if lured too far. And patrols all have defined routes.

I, for one, do not want dead zones everywhere. It'll just make the maps be less dynamic. After farming any maps for a little while, if you're observant enough, you'll see the mobs spawning and travel patterns. Should anyone decide to afk in unfamiliar territories, then they deserved to be attacked.

As I asked earlier, why is it important to afk with the character logged in? Takes 2 seconds to log out to character screen and a few seconds to log back in when you're ready to resume. If you're going to stop and chat, then look around. A safe spot is never very far away..

20 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Or just make mobs neutral like what was done in WoW (did we not read OP?), meaning they don’t attack you unless you attack them first.

Why do you think there's a debate on the issue? It's because not everyone agrees with OP. Not everyone wants safe zones everywhere when there are already plenty around.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

As I asked earlier, why is it important to afk with the character logged in? Takes 2 seconds to log out to character screen and a few seconds to log back in when you're ready to resume. If you're going to stop and chat, then look around. A safe spot is never very far away..

I'm neutral on this issue btw. I just think they might have a valid point if you can WP into the middle of an Ogre settlement in PoF and you randomly get attacked by patrolling Hyenas. I have my methods for dealing with this stuff, but I'm also not a "stop and smell the roses person" 

• Confused 4

28 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

I'm neutral on this issue btw. I just think they might have a valid point if you can WP into the middle of an Ogre settlement in PoF and you randomly get attacked by patrolling Hyenas. I have my methods for dealing with this stuff, but I'm also not a "stop and smell the roses person" 

Springer to the higher ground, problem solved within seconds. Notice how the complaint here was about stuff like "landing anywhere without being attaack when I go afk" or not being able to randomly go afk to chat. So sure, one can't safely stand in the middle of aggro mobs, but then again one also doesn't have to stand in the middle of aggro mobs. Just take a look at the surroundings and you'll have safe spots. Also that specific ogre village not being exactly a safe spot by default should be a given considering what their "heart tasks" consist of (training pets, hyena traps, pushing back branded).

On the bright side though, if your character dies on the wp, you lose next to nothing (~1 silver) and can get up at literally the same place by using wp you're directly on when you come back to the pc and are ready to play.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Because people who haven’t played WoW are ‘contributing’ to the discussion?

Oh? So you have to be playing WoW to voice your opinions on GW2 Forum if it involves WoW? Yes, I have played WoW. But not everything WoW is good. And GW2 certainly do not have to emulate WoW in all aspect or we might all go play WoW instead.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Even without the skyscale, I've never had an issue finding a good place to afk or rest/type. Just look for a corner, preferably elevated or even a cliffside. There are also "quiet" spaces on expansion maps where mobs don't spawn and events don't occur.

Chances are, unless you go afk directly after killing a mob or event, you probably won't come back dead.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Man people really want to make it easier for the idle farmers or afk farmers dont they.

All these safe spots with neutral unless attacked mob spots will have them over time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Springer to the higher ground, problem solved within seconds. Notice how the complaint here was about stuff like "landing anywhere without being attaack when I go afk" or not being able to randomly go afk to chat. So sure, one can't safely stand in the middle of aggro mobs, but then again one also doesn't have to stand in the middle of aggro mobs. Just take a look at the surroundings and you'll have safe spots. Also that specific ogre village not being exactly a safe spot by default should be a given considering what their "heart tasks" consist of (training pets, hyena traps, pushing back branded).

On the bright side though, if your character dies on the wp, you lose next to nothing (~1 silver) and can get up at literally the same place by using wp you're directly on when you come back to the pc and are ready to play.

Well i would take the OP option better .

I better listen to  a new person perspective (need RP in OW maps -smell the roses) , because we dont need OW to be stale like some part of the game 😛 

Now do i make it touch with the old ggs ? I have to propose them to wate resources on PvP next

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

If this really is about vistas and combat, here a short hint if you are to lazy to clear the mobs:

Relog. It resets the agro of all enemies on you, sets you to invulnerable for 1-2 seconds while loging in and allows for immediate use of the vista by spamming interact.

No reason to butcher the open world design or create boring wastelands of empty maps which unlike WoW actually have to stand the test of time in this game.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Except that some spots are already safer and danger is already not everpresent. So, if they already have what you claim they are asking for, though some of the requests contradict your claim, then what more could they be asking for?

Again with that binary look on things? It's not a matter of whether there's any safe spot present at all - it's an issue of degrees. Some players (like OP) seem to consider the current situation to not be enough (at least on some maps).

58 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

There are tons of safe spots on all maps.

Untrue. There are maps with a lot of safe spots, sure, but there are also maps that are significantly lacking in those (with few i could name having as few as two, or even just one if you consider that some "safe" spots can be assaulted by mobs due to events). Saying that there's "tons" of safe spots? That's a heavy exagerration, unless you are talking about low level core maps. And even for those it can be a stretch...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Untrue.

When I say "There are tons of safe spots on all maps", I meant any map, not just a small zone/area. And when I say "all", I'm refering to all maps, not just core Tyria. Name me the most dangerous map and I'm sure I can find tons of safe spots on that map. Again, map and not zones or areas.

Oh, and there are always a few safe spots in any area at all, just in case you're wondering.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 12/30/2022 at 12:37 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Untrue. There are maps with a lot of safe spots, sure, but there are also maps that are significantly lacking in those (with few i could name having as few as two, or even just one if you consider that some "safe" spots can be assaulted by mobs due to events). Saying that there's "tons" of safe spots? That's a heavy exagerration, unless you are talking about low level core maps. And even for those it can be a stretch...

Can't wait for your concept of "map" and "safe spot" to be explained here as well as you finally listing those maps with as few as two or even just one safe spots. Plenty of safe spots in every map, but if you "can list them" then maybe just do. (inb4 "dragonstorm", but even that one has plenty of safe spots -not that anyone should be afking there anyways)

e: so... that was a bad bluff, unsurprisingly.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

When I say "There are tons of safe spots on all maps", I meant any map, not just a small zone/area. And when I say "all", I'm refering to all maps, not just core Tyria. Name me the most dangerous map and I'm sure I can find tons of safe spots on that map. Again, map and not zones or areas.

Oh, and there are always a few safe spots in any area at all, just in case you're wondering.

Thankfully the the OP ask for maps with neutral mobs to do exploration

If WoW offers that then there wont be not a reason to implant it too . WoW sees that the OW is something for the casual to exmplore and have fun . They dont have people telling them all maps to be like HoT , in order the casuals to get ready for raids 😛

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Thankfully the the OP ask for maps with neutral mobs to do exploration

If WoW offers that then there wont be not a reason to implant it too . WoW sees that the OW is something for the casual to exmplore and have fun . They dont have people telling them all maps to be like HoT , in order the casuals to get ready for raids 😛

Wow doing it is not a valid reason to implement it. 

On my track record, the only types of games that I have seen using full neutral mob are bad free to play mmo. 

On this type of design, unlike every other games well done (singleplayer or not) where ennemies are obstacles to go through, ennemies simply became ressources to exploit, like a minning node, but with claw and fur. 

The designer have taken the good decision which is to made exploration exciting by putting obstacles in it, may it terrain (verticality, etc) or ennemies. And even if they kinda facilitate it a bit with more tool (mounts and mounts skills), they always keep it and even put some countermeasures to some, like the mounts trap in pof or the snipers on drizzlewood

And like it was said lots of times, don't like some part? There are options already, nothing to improve there

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Except that some spots are already safer and danger is already not everpresent. So, if they already have what you claim they are asking for, though some of the requests contradict your claim, then what more could they be asking for?

Reducing the danger while afk does not prevent their characters from dying as one mob unopposed can kill a character every bit as dead as could five. The only way to prevent character death if a player chooses to go afk without choosing a spot where they wont be attacked would be to completely eliminate opponents from the open world.

Which is what "make them non-hostile unless I attack them" would do, or, the whole chain of discussion that happened a few posts up from this one, where it's "x amount of time per day that the mobs are resting".

As someone that still hasn't bothered to get any of the flying mounts, I don't see the need for this.  Safe spaces exist on every map, if you want to chat, or take selfies, move to one of those.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Wow doing it is not a valid reason to implement it. 

On my track record, the only types of games that I have seen using full neutral mob are bad free to play mmo. 

On this type of design, unlike every other games well done (singleplayer or not) where ennemies are obstacles to go through, ennemies simply became ressources to exploit, like a minning node, but with claw and fur. 

The designer have taken the good decision which is to made exploration exciting by putting obstacles in it, may it terrain (verticality, etc) or ennemies. And even if they kinda facilitate it a bit with more tool (mounts and mounts skills), they always keep it and even put some countermeasures to some, like the mounts trap in pof or the snipers on drizzlewood

And like it was said lots of times, don't like some part? There are options already, nothing to improve there

Yeah , there should not a reason to have raids because other mmos have it also . Those that needs it can go there , so we bring new fresh people with inovative ideas to progress the game , rather than the "nonono you cannot have it" group 😛

I would trade 1x newer guy can will have 100 bad choises , but bring something RNG later on , rather than 1x that insists after 10 years that"the casual needs to increase their dps and force them once again in trainning groups" (because that worked the best!!!)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yeah , there should not a reason to have raids because other mmos have it also . Those that needs it can go there , so we bring new fresh people with inovative ideas to progress the game , rather than the "nonono you cannot have it" group 😛

I would trade 1x newer guy can will have 100 bad choises , but bring something RNG later on , rather than 1x that insists after 10 years that"the casual needs to increase their dps and force them once again in trainning groups" (because that worked the best!!!)

There's nothing related to "progress" in the idea of "mobs not attacking players", it's the opposite of progress, it's devolving the game into a passive, boring walking simulator.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3