Core Engineer suggestions

Zombiesbum.3502

I think I'm not the only one to think that the core engineer is quite underwhelming. Part of the problem is you have to juggle kits for the core engineer to be viable in any competitive sense. Not really an appealing playstyle. There are a couple of changes to alchemy, turrets, and even the tool belt, which could improve the core class. So here are some suggestions to make the core engineer more appealing, and hopefully, without making the elite specs too strong.

EDIT: Kits

I think an issue that plagues the engineer are the kits and how they are designed. I think kits are a means to give up utility in order to increase combat versatility. But that's not how they function (looking at you grenadier kit). They currently work to increase your DPS to adequate levels by having more high damaging skills to rotate through. That is a problem for 2 reasons; first is that you're now pigeonholed into using a kit. Second is that you're main weapon is not your primary source of DPS. Even Holosmith suffers from this problem to a lesser extent, and it's one of the better engineer specs.

There are a couple of ways to deal with this by fine-tuning kits to not overlap in functionality compared to main weapon skills, while increasing main weapon DPS, essentially make kits either an alternative damage method (like AoE/longer range/cleave), or for mostly utility (like the Tool Kit). Another method could be to make weapon kits use your secondary weapon slot instead of utility. Obviously this limits the number of kits a player can use in combat and wouldn't solve the issue of kit balance.

Alchemy

When I think of alchemy, I think of experimentation. Mixing ingredients to discover interesting results. The earlier versions of Elixirs were sort of like that, but not very good mechanically. Having random effects happen sounds good on paper, but in practice it's just not fun. It's the main reason why Elixir X is hardly ever used. But it doesn't have to be that way. I think two Elixirs could be changed to give that feeling of "experimentation", while also encouraging builds that use more Elixir Utilities.

Elixir B

Rework: The last 2 non-lesser elixirs (or tossed elixirs) used gives Elixir B different side effects upon use, the last elixir giving a more potent affect than the first (Major/Minor effects). If one or no elixirs were used, then the effect is the same as the current version of Elixir B.

Examples of effects from Elixir B after using other Elixirs:
Elixir C - Grants 10s Resolution. Elixir B gives you a random aura or otherwise extends an existing aura for 10/6 seconds.
Elixir R - Grants 10s Vigor. Dodge rolls do not consume endurance for 4/2 seconds.
Elixir U - Grants 10s Fury. Applies 25 stacks of might for 10/3 seconds.
Elixir S - Grants 10s Protection. In the next 6 seconds, avoid lethal damage once and grant 1000/6000 barrier.
Elixir X - Grants 10s Swiftness. Pulses 2/1 random damaging conditions on up to 5 nearby enemies each second for 6 seconds.

Elixir X

Rework: Drink Concoction/Drink Antidote ability (5 sec cooldown) - Pulses a 3 second condition on yourself every second and pulses an opposite boon on 5 nearby allies every 3 seconds (excluding self). Condition/boon type is dependent on the last elixir used before activating this ability (excludes lesser elixirs). If no elixirs were used, then it transforms you randomly into a tornado or rampaging brute.

Examples of effects from Elixir X after using other Elixirs:
Elixir C - Pulses Poisoned / Regeneration
Elixir R - Pulses Chilled / Alacrity
Elixir U - Pulses Slow / Quickness
Elixir S - Pulses Vulnerability (5 stacks) / Protection

Obviously, these are some outlandish suggestions here that are just new skills essentially. But the main point here is to show at least one example of an Elixir that isn't just "use on CD for boons".

Turrets

Turrets are fun, at least thematically. But in practice, they have some glaring issues. First off is the turrets are each competing for a space on your limited utility bar. So of course, a player is only ever going to take what maximizes his/her DPS. There is a way to fix the DPS issue here and it involves removing certain utility turrets and reworking them into the elite skill.

Another issue with certain turrets (especially the healing turret) is the player is heavily encouraged to place them and destroy them immediately due to the overcharge mechanic and cooldowns. This is especially true given their lack of HP anyway.

And lastly, the trait for turrets is pretty underwhelming if I'm being honest. Additionally, one thing that plagues the turret is the lack of mobility, which is okay for certain scenarios. However, I think changing the turret trait could really allow players to choose whether they want a more traditional type of turret, or a more fast-paced type of turret. In any case, below are some of the suggestions.

-Increase the HP of Turrets.

-Remove Rifle, Flame, and Rocket turrets from utility skills.

-Turrets start their cooldown when placed instead of destroyed.

Supply Crate

Rework: Drops down a Rifle, Flame, and Rocket Turret to a chosen area that lasts for 5 minutes and overcharge when placed (remove stun effect from the skill).

Experimental Turrets

Rework: Placed turrets have enhanced abilities, but they have a much shorter duration and can't be manually destroyed.

Examples of enhancements:
Net Turret - Rapidly Fires every half a second, choosing different targets if valid. -Lasts 3 seconds.
Thumper Turret - Attacks faster in a wider area and causing the Slow condition. -Lasts 6 seconds.
Healing Turret - Overcharges at the end of its duration. -Lasts 10 seconds.
Rifle/Flame/Rocket Turret - Increase damage inflicted by 100%. -Lasts 10 seconds.

While I think nit picking turret stats and abilities to have each perform well for specific scenarios (like I've seen in other discussions). I am of the opinion that only so much number crunching can help, the main issue is too many same-like skills each competing against each other. And balancing those just shifts the flavour of turret to the best current one. Do the suggestions above solve those issue? That's debatable, but I think they do create less overlapping of these skills at the very least.

Inventions/Tool Belt

One thing I think the engineer is really good at is being versatile. Whether or not that versatility is strong mathematically is another topic. But I do think the engineer could (or should) be pushed further into this versatility "role" (for lack of a better work). At least I think players should have the option to. I think replacing a bad trait within Inventions would be a good start here. Inventions is a pretty one-dimensional trait line as it currently is. So onward with the suggestion:

Bunker Down

Rework (And rename): Tool Expert - You can now choose any Tool Belt skill that matches the skill type you have equipped. Example: Equipping the Rocket Boots skill allows you to swap Rocket Kick with any other Gadget type tool belt skill.

Obviously, this has some major implications of what you can do. You could argue that some skills are balanced based on their Tool Belt skills, and allowing a player to change that ruins that balance. But you have to ask yourself; how balanced are the skills to begin with? How likely are you to pick Utility Goggles over Elixir S for example?

Oddities

These are just some things with the engineer that annoy me slightly. I'll go through them as briefly as I can.

Optimized Activation - Change to 10 seconds Vigor boon with 20-30 second cooldown. This removes the need to spam tool belt skills on cd which I think isn't healthy for gameplay (or my fingers).

A.E.D - Added effect: If the effect ends without taking lethal damage, then reduce the remaining cooldown by 5 seconds.

Utility Goggles - Added effect: Attacks cannot be blocked for 6 seconds. This skill is overshadowed by other stun breaks.

Elixir R - Added effect: When used, allows an over-cap of Endurance for 5 seconds. I really hate how this skill heavily encourages you to use it immediately after a dodge, and dodge again immediately after. It's just janky to maximize its effect. 

Bomb Kit - Change auto attack to have a longer Cast time, but more damage. Just so it looks less ridiculous, that's the only reason.

Toss Elixir U - Reduce cast time (and also please add the "Breaks Stun" tag in tooltip). Seems a bit silly to have a cast time for stun breaks, and I feel like it's only ever used for super speed. 

Kit cooldowns - Please remove (or at least drastically reduce) the short cooldowns for unequipping kits. This is a really minor point, currently to unequip a kit immediately after equipping, you have to weapon swap. Which is obviously not bound to a close-by key for engineer since usually it's unneeded. 

Slick Shoes - Added effect: Breaks Immobilized. I feel like having Slick Shoes be an immobilize break would bring it more in-line with Rocket Boots.

That's all for now. 

Edited by Zombiesbum.3502
  • Haha 1

Examples of effects from Elixir B after using other Elixirs:
Elixir C - Grants 10s Resolution. Elixir B gives you a random aura or otherwise extends an existing aura for 10/6 seconds.
Elixir R - Grants 10s Vigor. Dodge rolls do not consume endurance for 4/2 seconds.
Elixir U - Grants 10s Fury. Applies 25 stacks of might for 10/3 seconds.
Elixir S - Grants 10s Protection. In the next 6 seconds, avoid lethal damage once and grant 1000/6000 barrier.
Elixir X - Grants 10s Swiftness. Pulses 2/1 random damaging conditions on up to 5 nearby enemies each second for 6

Are you insane?

Elixir R -> Immune to dmg for 3s, + constalty Explosive Etrance trigger

Elixir U -> No ability schold give you instant 25 might

Elixir S -> nice annoter immunity added to A.E.D.

As 5k h engineer main, i refuse to read rest

So here are some suggestions to make the core engineer more appealing, and hopefully, without making the elite specs too strong.

Objection Hearsay

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

Are you insane?

Elixir R -> Immune to dmg for 3s, + constalty Explosive Etrance trigger

Elixir U -> No ability schold give you instant 25 might

Elixir S -> nice annoter immunity added to A.E.D.

As 5k h engineer main, i refuse to read rest

Objection Hearsay

I think you missed the part where I said these were Examples. Additionally, even in those examples you'd have to equip at least 3 elixirs to get those effects, essentially reducing your own effectiveness in combat by virtue of stuffing potions down your gullet. 

If you refuse to read the rest, then I don't mind since you didn't read the part you thought you read anyway.

• Haha 1