Help with location of Twilight Striker

3 Months of grinding, and spending way too much time fishing has left me with a very negative view of certain aspects of the game. Kessex hill is the place to fish for World Class fisher (come again) in a polluted lake, to catch a twilight striker that only bites between sunset and sunrise. So why make world class fish in such a terrible location, but I would like to sing you a Christmas song, and thank you for the pockmarked vases, the rusted mechanisms, 7 broken bottles, tangled nets, broken fishing rods, fish shaped stones, crumbled ancient statues, rotten fish heads, pieces of driftwood, broken trident, broken fishing hooks, weathered peg legs (dumping ground for dead pirates?), shattered fishing cages, sigh, does not sound like a place for me, an avid world class fisher, but last fish to go, and lucky if I get 1 fish per hole and 5 minutes, and maximum of 4 holes to fish in 5 minutes because of the terribly slow mechanics. So any help would be appreciated, because I find this to be negative gaming, and a block to get an achievement. Thanks for any help, and yes, any hole any place, any bait, just 5 minutes and tried every location available, too many local fish only, just negative and not specific for world class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

First, my condolences. Dusk/Dawn is basically the bane of the fishing feature (right up there with fishing stacks vanishing during a map change after you've spent an hour preparing for dusk/dawn).

I'll try to help from the perspective of someone who has maxed all the fishing and boat things (It definitely helps to finish out your masteries). My usual go-to is 1.) Make sure I have the bait/lure I need, 2.) Check the in-world time to anticipate when the things I need will start spawning, 3.) Get on boat, 4.) Eat sushi, 5.) Use the Skiff's turbo boost to get quickly to different fishing holes within the dusk/dawn window. I'm probably not the most efficient angler, but I feel like I can get where I need pretty quickly in that 5-minute window.

Some Tips:
- You're right that the stinky pollution water is the best bet for world class fish. If you're dead set on the Striker, it's a solid tactic to keep fishing there until the RNG gods smile on you, so if you can manage the stress long enough, you will eventually catch one.
- Complete collections in other, more profitable maps that bring you more joy, since the Twilight Striker can appear in many different fishing nodes (Boreal, Coastal, Deep, Desert, Lake, Offshore, River, Saltwater, Shore). This way, you still have a chance at nabbing one while also pulling in Ambergris from rare fish and from repeatable fishing collections. To increase the chances of reeling in a Striker, switch to baits that won't hook the dusk/dawn fish that spawn in those other maps if possible. This is less efficient than just hanging out in Kessex, but if your head is ready to pop off, it's an option.
- Pop your Fishing Power numbers up so you don't have to wait as long to start getting nicer catches. Get on the boat (Fishing party buff), Eat sushi (Fishing on a full tank buff & sushi buff), and use +100 lures. You don't necessarily need this to catch exotic-level fish, but it doesn't hurt.

As for the garbage:
- Consider picking up the Jade Bot from EoD. It can be equipped with a recycler upgrade that turns trash into other things when it enters your inventory (There are a few different options for this). It's very satisfying to fish up trash and watch it turn into treasure, and it also cuts down on the inventory spam.

Best of luck out there, and try not to hook the Krait Witch (But please send pics if you do).

• Like 2

So, finally managed to catch Twilight Striker in the dawn period. Tyria's dawn and dusk 5-6AM, 8-9PM, so gives you a chance to build up stacks prior to that period. Remember to start saving those 10 Spiritwood planks and 10 Mithril rings along with 77,777 Karma if you want to buy the rod on completion, have fun, and this feather is now in the cap.
Cantha for the record has slightly different times for dawn and dusk, 7-8AM and 7-8PM, so does work if you have 2 charrs parked if you are targeting dawn and dusk fish, although I didn't build up any stacks, kept hopping between maps.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ok so this an old thread, but maybe gives me a little hope.  I've caught this fish multiple times before, but of course, when it's the last one you need for your final fishing achievement, it is no where to be found.   Anyone had any luck recently with it on any particular map?

22 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Ok so this an old thread, but maybe gives me a little hope.  I've caught this fish multiple times before, but of course, when it's the last one you need for your final fishing achievement, it is no where to be found.   Anyone had any luck recently with it on any particular map?

Sandswept Isles. Go to the four offshore nodes north of Atholma Docks PoI. Use any bait EXCEPT mackerel or fish eggs. Probably caught a Twilight Striker a dozen times in the past 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Sandswept Isles. Go to the four offshore nodes north of Atholma Docks PoI. Use any bait EXCEPT mackerel or fish eggs. Probably caught a Twilight Striker a dozen times in the past 3 months.

Ohhh that may be where I've caught them previously...didn't think of that one!  Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Follow up....that was it!!!  Thank you very much.  Took a full dawn to dusk cycle but I am now a cod swimming among mere minnows lol.  Also great place for anyone looking for saltwater fish.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Follow up....that was it!!!  Thank you very much.  Took a full dawn to dusk cycle but I am now a cod swimming among mere minnows lol.  Also great place for anyone looking for saltwater fish.  

Congrats!! Glad I could be of help!! And yes, Sandswept Isles is indeed an excellent spot for both the Saltwater and World Class collections along with the Desert Isles collection.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

I know you've now done it, and I know it's all RNG anyway, but for the record, I was fishing during the Day in Drizzlewood to restock my King Salmon (and buy my daily ambergris) and I went one minute over into Dusk ... the first fish I caught was a Twilight Striker lol.

It is absolutely RNG, but I needed some inspiration lol.  Of course when you're actually needing or looking for one, they are no where to be found.

Compared to some other ones ... this one is pretty easy. Those exotic ones seem to drop pretty frequently. (To the point that it gets annoying when you are missing some of the ones that are supposed to be easier.)

Main thing is - wiki also mentions this and I think it should be in the tooltip in game as well: Dusk/Dawn is required as time. Check the ingame time an try a few catches and it should pop up pretty fast.

With it being the last one ... don't know - maybe it gets harder then? Always seems like the last one takes longest. (Maybe just because there are less options and you only can progress more by getting that 1. Or maybe the game actually tries to make it harder the closer you are to the goal.) I wonder how anyone can get this as the last one though. When usually you have the dusk/dawn from the other achievements where you might have to catch other stuff at that time - and then of course the Twilight striker drops as well. (Dusk/dawn seem to have a high drop rate during that time since there is not much time.)

I remember the Bonefish taking forever for me. I got bored and just did the dailies - 4 catches per day (luckily no specific time needed for Bonefish) and suddenly I got it at some point.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Compared to some other ones ... this one is pretty easy. Those exotic ones seem to drop pretty frequently. (To the point that it gets annoying when you are missing some of the ones that are supposed to be easier.)

Main thing is - wiki also mentions this and I think it should be in the tooltip in game as well: Dusk/Dawn is required as time. Check the ingame time an try a few catches and it should pop up pretty fast.

With it being the last one ... don't know - maybe it gets harder then? Always seems like the last one takes longest. (Maybe just because there are less options and you only can progress more by getting that 1. Or maybe the game actually tries to make it harder the closer you are to the goal.) I wonder how anyone can get this as the last one though. When usually you have the dusk/dawn from the other achievements where you might have to catch other stuff at that time - and then of course the Twilight striker drops as well. (Dusk/dawn seem to have a high drop rate during that time since there is not much time.)

I remember the Bonefish taking forever for me. I got bored and just did the dailies - 4 catches per day (luckily no specific time needed for Bonefish) and suddenly I got it at some point.

As someone who's completed every collection at least 10x at this point (and one collection over 250x lol), it can feel that way, but it's honestly just RNG. Every time I go to Crystal Oasis to work on replenishing rare fish for the Taro daily trade, I swear whichever of the rare fish I need, I'll catch a dozen of the other two first, like the game is taunting me. Honestly for me the worst fish in the World Class collection is the Gold Fish. I've had that collection hung for a month before because of that fish.

22 hours ago, DebraKadabra.5278 said:

The port of Rata Sum is a good choice for this and the rarer saltwater fish. So is the Thousand Seas Pavilion but.. you need a pass to get there.

This is true, as well as a good spot to work on Aquatic Treasure Collector.  In fact, if anyone reading this is still working on any of the collections or wants a few tips on fishing in general, I posted this last year:

5 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

As someone who's completed every collection at least 10x at this point (and one collection over 250x lol), it can feel that way, but it's honestly just RNG. Every time I go to Crystal Oasis to work on replenishing rare fish for the Taro daily trade, I swear whichever of the rare fish I need, I'll catch a dozen of the other two first, like the game is taunting me. Honestly for me the worst fish in the World Class collection is the Gold Fish. I've had that collection hung for a month before because of that fish.

This is true, as well as a good spot to work on Aquatic Treasure Collector.  In fact, if anyone reading this is still working on any of the collections or wants a few tips on fishing in general, I posted this last year:

You might consider updating your guide with this item:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zephyrite_Fish_Jerky

I fish alone always, and I use this often. 

• Like 1

That item is great. As a chef main (I selected that one for my main char first and split the others on the other chars - 2 crafting professions on each char) I directly get the new recipes from festivals first. Even seems to stack - so you could just get to 99 with the item quickly. (I only tested to to get 50.)

Mainly doing the daily 4 catches. Nothing else. (Not even the rare trading.) Daily chest pretty often drops an Ambergris chunk as well. For most dailies I can do them without extra fishing party catches and normal fish. Only Orr would either need some fishing party bonus or the mackerel. (Currently switching to mackerel.) Otherwise it would be yellow, not green. (From the difficulty marker.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been chasing Twilight Striker for so long, giving up and picking up my attempts, fishing in Kessex and whatnot, and this is just... 3rd fish on 2nd dusk/dawn in Sandswept, with 3 tips on fishing, and I finally got it. Can't thank you enough, even if it was just ridiculous RNG roll, it happened there. Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows finally.

• Like 2