Passive Aggressive Emoji's plaguing the forums

Charall.4710

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

...Not every discussion is worth having and sometimes it's enough for someone to simply say they disagree without triggering the inevitable back-and-forth to nowhere that so frequently occurs on internet forums between two individuals who both have to have the final word...

I put a Thank You emoji on this post because it articulated well the reasons I use the Confused emoji. There's been a couple of times on this forum where I've gotten into pointless arguments with someone because they were angry I disagreed with them. A thoughtful, intelligent discussion is something I can enjoy. When it becomes clear though that someone keeps arguing just because their ego was offended and they are intent on having the last word, I generally bail from the argument. If I disagree with something that person says in another post, I'll just leave the Confused emoji and not get into another ego based brawl with them. Other times, I may disagree with something someone posted but the discussion doesn't seem that worth having, so I'll just leave a Confused emoji. For the record, I also use the Like, Thank You, and even sometimes the Sad emoji. Oh, and one other thing - I do look at the reactions people give to my posts. And I do appreciate the Likes and the Thank Yous but I don't freak out or get upset about the Confused reactions. People disagree with each other all the time and it doesn't have to be a big deal unless you let it become one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I agree that the internet (and more specifically, large social media platforms) are better when there is free disagreement.  But this isn't a political debate forum, or really a public square. 

I don't know where the idea that it would somehow need to be a political debate-related forum in order for it to have a discussion or disagreement even came from?

I, for one, think the bigger "issue" here might be the idea of some people thinking that disagreement is somehow an insult or an attack, which is why it can be so uncomfortable for them. Then again, maybe not, but at that point I don't know what else is supposed to be so wrong with opposing opinions and discussing those.

As for the reaction emotes, there were already some threads about it, probably with at least some of the same posters (which now means me too 🤷‍♂️) -doubt anything new will be said about those. Some people dislike them, some do, others don't care. Mostly they do completely nothing for any discussion.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Voting options should be for users' ideas about a game, it would make easier to see which one is popular, it should be on separate forum's section. Most upvoted should be reviewed for development. Rating is useful in such case.

And also for threads with a question - mainly for a creator of a thread to choose best answers and helpful ones.

But for other discussions, there is absolutely no need to rate each and every post. Some are unratable, it doesn't matter how some anonymous feels about them, it's even not clear how he feels so it's even more meaningless. Everybody can decide, on their discretion, if a post is interesting, there is no need to base on some anonymous rating which may be wrong or biased.

If there is something to add to a discussion - add a post, if a discussion is uninteresting then let it pass down, it's really not needed to react on everything, such anonymous reactions are useless for others. Some users may be less likely to post if they will be always rated, so it doesn't help forum's popularity.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

12 hours ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

Giving an actual argument about why you disagree with someone is too difficult for the average GW2 forum user. Nope, gotta turn off your brain and rely on emojis.

Giving a searching tool a try is too difficult for the average GW2 forum user scared of emojis. Nope, gotta turn off your brain and create "I hate silly emojis" topic again and engage ppls into another pointless discussion.

Note that for instance I use confused/thank you emote if someone already answered someone with the thing I would wrote and there is no need to waste time repeating the answer. So I dare to say that it is your brain that is shut to notice that there are many ways to use this emotes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

As I see it, there are two ways to react when someone uses a confused emoji on your post.  The first is to learn from it, the other is to wear it as a badge of pride.

I see a third, laugh as they didn't noticed your irony/sarcasm 🙂

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 12/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Svarty.8019 said:

Have you all forgotten that the forum used to have thumbs down or something. The ability to be negative got removed because it was used. Now we all walk around with fixed grins. Everything's great guys, it's just great in a different way. But I can't express what kind of way. 😄 Cheese.

I remember that.  Someone important made a post that got downvote bombed and not long after, the feature was removed.

Really makes one think that if history were to repeat itself one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

I remember that.  Someone important made a post that got downvote bombed and not long after, the feature was removed.

Really makes one think that if history were to repeat itself one day.

Well we all know why it was removed some Anet employes posts got downvoted into oblivion.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, Chichimec.9364 said:

A thoughtful, intelligent discussion is something I can enjoy. When it becomes clear though that someone keeps arguing just because their ego was offended and they are intent on having the last word, I generally bail from the argument. If I disagree with something that person says in another post, I'll just leave the Confused emoji and not get into another ego based brawl with them. Other times, I may disagree with something someone posted but the discussion doesn't seem that worth having, so I'll just leave a Confused emoji

So why do you need to do it if you don't want to engage in conversation ?

Just move on without using any emojis.

It a lazy way to say " I saw it and I disagree" without providing any actual argument so people can respond.

Anet really should remove this garbage.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 17

On 12/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, Dravvi.3146 said:

Kinda gonna make this one a bit short and sweet.

So I have noticed an increased uptick in "confused"  and "haha" emoji's by people who either disagree with topics or generally want to insult/belittle others on the forums in their posts, not going to lie this is in part because we don't have a downvote bomb option which makes me curious. Is this an intended thing the devs wish to be abused?

Can someone explain this system to me?

Yeah, I'd like a system like reddit has actually. The GW2 subreddit looks better in comparison. 
Also I miss the OG forums. They were much better in every regard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

So why do you need to do it if you don't want to engage in conversation ?

Just move on without using any emojis.

It a lazy way to say " I saw it and I disagree" without providing any actual argument so people can respond.

Anet really should remove this garbage.

Many times other people already made their argument. So using the reaction button makes their disagreement shown. And agreement. Would you rather people parroting each others making the same statements and not add anything more to the discussion? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Many times other people already made their argument. So using the reaction button makes their disagreement shown. And agreement. Would you rather people parroting each others making the same statements and not add anything more to the discussion? 

What else are people to do?  Play the game?  Nonsense!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 12/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, Svarty.8019 said:

Have you all forgotten that the forum used to have thumbs down or something. The ability to be negative got removed because it was used. Now we all walk around with fixed grins. Everything's great guys, it's just great in a different way. But I can't express what kind of way. 😄 Cheese.

People will still being negative because it's the norm in today's society lol. Just as long you're subtle about it, (Hence why everyone uses internet nowadays.) everything will be peachy.

And when the negativity is pushed over the edge, the person who is usually positive will begin to lose their mind and start doing stuff people would cry foul. Course, they're the one at fault for letting themselves being pushed over the edge.

Stuff like the incident from that football tourney? The guy who lost his mind? Sure as hell didn't snap in 1 day, but much more convenient to put blame on one guy who was likely positive at one point in his life before being pushed to the edge.

Not to say what he did was right or anything, but just remember. People aren't as saints as they make themselves.

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.”

Edit* Don't forget, The devs here has gotten death threats. Granted, most likely a small amount of people who was angry about the balancing stuff in the past, but it still happened, and it wasn't ok. 

Let it be known that the people who uses the confused emotes are the type of people who support that kind of harassment.

Edited by Thevaultdwellinggamer.4267
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Because some posts are very confusing.

A lot of people seem to assume people are others and instantly know the meaning behind every post. Unfortunately, sometimes we really just don't know wtf you're talking about even if it makes sense in your head.

This is especially true when someone complains about some new change but won't link to the context or provide a quote so everyone is required to look around and scan through patch notes to even know what the discussion is about.

Remember this. When one makes a complaint, they're often in a distressed emotional state, and that doesn't lend to coherency.

Other times, I get confused when someone gets all worked up over a small part of the post. Example: You add a joke about a cat, and then someone replies with a 1000 page book about how cats ruined their life and spends 76 pages arguing over you about how cats are evil.

In the end, the OP of many a poster sounds like a script from this movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room

I assure you that movie got plenty of confused responses. And maybe laugh ones.

Very confusing I say.

Also how's the weather?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I merely assess every confused reaction as a person, of humble scholastic origins, expressing the desire to be privately messaged a more explanatory presentation of the information in the reactee post. 

Thereby, and incorporating by reference all discussions heretofor of all such posts produced within the thread, resultant information derived thereof, and all variations of explanations produced thus far,  I submit additional exposition in the form of a private message, wherein all such inferred confusion is addressed.  See Trahearne V. Arcane Council, 431 Pact.App. 1182, 1190-5 (1325) (stating, "[y] es, you have to explain everything to the plant").

Likewise, sad reactions are construed as empathy.  I send a thank you message for empathizing with me.

This post is as poignant as the rest of the thread.  You cannot, 100%, determine the intent of an anonymous action which has no context.  You can barely prove intent when presented with a well-reasoned explanation and clear identification.  Thus, no one here can determine what the intent of the reaction emojis represent.  You don;'t know who reacted, or any details of why they reacted.  Personally, I use the confused emote as a disagree button, an "I'm genuinely confused about how you arrived at your conclusion" button, and an "everything in that post is just wrong" button.  You have no idea what posts I've reacted to, or what my thought process was for any given reaction to any given post.  To think anyone can deduce the intent of any reaction of any post is just fallacious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/17/2022 at 7:55 AM, Freya.9075 said:

This doesn't make any sense.

If you made your argument then move on as I said.

Or do you think that letting someone know that you disagree without actually saying anything can add something to discussion ? 🤦‍♂️

On 12/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Chichimec.9364 said:

🤣 Ah me, you start with the name calling as you try to call out other people for not behaving the way you think they should. Thank you for providing a perfect example of the kind of people and posts I won't bother trying to actively engage with any further.  🤣

Em , what ?

Name calling ? Where ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

7 minutes ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

This doesn't make any sense.

If you made your argument then move on as I said.

Or do you think that letting someone know that you disagree without actually saying anything can add something to discussion ?

You can show your disagreement or agreement without having to parrot what others already said. And that’s the better alternative, because forums would look way different without them. And not in a good way. Not sure what’s so difficult to understand about what I said. 

Let me give you an example 👀

forums be like: 

1st person: -I think this is a good idea!

2nd person: -I do not because reason. 
3rd person: -I do not because same reason! 
4th person: -what they said ^

Wouldn’t it be a better solution if person 3 and 4 dislike the 1st persons post and like the 2nd persons post? Better than cluttering the forums with unneeded posts don’t you think? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

The only change that I feel that they should do in regards to reactions is to separate their notification from other notifications in the settings.  I would much rather be notified when someone quotes me than receive 10+ notifications because someone decided to react to each of my posts in a thread within a matter of seconds.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

You can show your disagreement or agreement without having to parrot what others already said. And that’s the better alternative, because forums would look way different without them. And not in a good way. Not sure what’s so difficult to understand about what I said. 

Let me give you an example 👀

forums be like: 

1st person: -I think this is a good idea!

2nd person: -I do not because reason. 
3rd person: -I do not because same reason! 
4th person: -what they said ^

Wouldn’t it be a better solution if person 3 and 4 dislike the 1st persons post and like the 2nd persons post? Better than cluttering the forums with unneeded posts don’t you think? 

So make 'agree' emojis only then, they would serve all four people in that example. The 3rd and 4th person would simply 'agree' with the 2nd poster, the discussion would be civil, and the avoidance of confusion with the unclear confusion emojis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

"If ya don't like getting confused emojis, consider making better posts 😛"

In all seriousness, it's a useful data point to know whether or not you may be wrong in the eyes of the people reading what you're writing.

Here's the thing:  You posting your opinion on a forum is generally going to be met with mixed opinions and inherently critical reception - because it's an opinion.  You have biases.  I have biases, we all have biases.  If you post hot takes, you should expect more bewildered responses, especially failing to articulate on why your stance is a good one.

If you're posting with humor obviously people will laugh emoji if they see the humor.

If you're not, it's a casual ribbing basically telling you to do more homework or to stop acting obscene.

More succinct and polite than people creating a bunch of new posts and trawling through other responses to upvote other people saying:

"lol this guy can't be serious.  There's just no way." (Laugh Emoji).

"I disagree because you simply don't understand what you're talking about and the entire basis of your argument is (in my opinion) based on no evidence, flawed evidence, or simply, entirely unrelated to the state of the topic." (Confused Emoji).

--

The more you drift away from correctness or popular convention, the more such emojis you'll get.

By extension, the more people agree with you, and the better-formulated your post and reasoning, the more thanks/likes you'll get.

That's the nature of challenging the status quo.  Either you're ahead of the curve or you're acting like a fool.  Fact is, until that opinion is received by the populous, you don't know which it is, and the onus is on you to prove to everyone what you're positing isn't nonsense.  Sometimes, we're just dead wrong, and we can laugh at our mistakes, learn from them, and move on.  That's the function of any forum; if people are there, they're already hearing you out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Here's the thing: 

Here's the thing: What you wrote works in an ideal forum where everyone follows conventions.

If you've read through all the comments, you'll see some of the reasons why the system is not really useful. A big reason why we keep getting threads on this topic. You can post a simple factual answer to a simple question from someone else and get a confused emoji from someone you had a debate with earlier. Best thing to do is get disable it, like some of us did through 3rd party apps. No emojis = no confusions.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3