Revert the post processing change -NOW- [Merged]

I'll be honest and say I really have not tried this yet. However I will also stick with this and say the option needs to remain for Off, period end of story. Though to be honest, I wish you'd just make post processing a 'group' setting for generic quick picks, then put a fold out that lets people control all of EACH thing on a more granular scale.

I've played this game, sometimes heavier than others ya know, stuff happens, but I've been here off and on since first day and I preordered. I know we're all getting older, but, I've in the last couple years started to have some games straining my eyes sometimes. This does not happen all the time, and typically it's a certain game, or an effect in, said game. In Warframe for example, I disable motion blurs, many distortions, some reflections, possibly it's color grading too I forget, think they have another name for it if it's what I think it is.

But one thing I will say is I have not played a ton, since EOD, I hadn't had the money for it yet, and I picked it up on the sale, and I also came recently for the LS1 replay and getting the classic LA teleport item which is neat. I was very psyched that DX11 had come out too since it'd taken so long, and I mostly wanted the fps bump, that still stands and I don't want to lose it, I know it could improve/alter some of the other graphics stuff as well. Thing is I don't know what, precisely, and it changes on every game depending on how they do it, of course.

But, I played all of LS1's stuff through in the new remaster, got the teleport thing, got EOD on the black friday sale and started it, and have since finished story, so I've been playing off and on another for I dunno 4-8 weeks probably? And in the last week or so, my eyes have been AWFUL. I don't know what happened, but the eye strain's been off the charts and I know it's coming from GW2, none of my other games are triggering it, and with GW2 I can feel a lot of strain instantly drop when I shut off post processing (or did before this patch I have not tested the new one yet) something is going on with that post processing, I love making things look good, but sometimes not everyone's eyes can tolerate it all, and in this case, I hate to shut off every single post processing type option just to target one thing, so I really, really, hope you consider putting in more granular controls for post processing, I for one would really like to figure out more of what in the PP settings is stressing my eyes so much. I would hate to stop playing this especially so shortly after finally getting EOD too but the strain is no joke.

In any case I don't think even shutting that off removed all of that eye strain either, I'm not sure what's causing it.

Edited by Artair.1687
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Celano.8492 said:

You really think it makes sense to nerf catalyst 100 times? From 0.1 to 0.001, really? In addition to the fact that after patch my PC crashed 5 times due to some errors caused by your game client, wasted time on trying to fix the whole thing multiple times..... I mean, do you even test your game before applying any changes to it? Or you just throw it out there and hope it will be fine?

Calm down it's still going to be mega strong.

• Confused 1

Please.... Please please please revert it back asap or split the settings. At this point the game is barely playable for me because I can't take this actual physical pain it's causing.
Over the last 4 hours I kept thinking I might get used to it, but it just keeps getting worse and worse. Not just that I can have trouble with all the effects, but all the huge contast between the dark game and glowy stuff makes my eyes extremely tired/burning and makes me kinda feel dizzy.
Currently I can't get even a few quicky dailies done because I just cannot look at the game for more than a few seconds before I need to look away because my eyes feel like suddenly burning.
I'm aware that not everyone experiences it like this so all I ask is to give us back the setting to remove it.

Yes, in fact I do find the color grading actually very pretty... But I just can't enjoy it because it's causing so much pain for whatever reason.

Edit: Grouch's update just came in. Thank you so much. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Mae.1729
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

2 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Quick update. We're working on a hotfix now that will revert the postprocessing changes and return things to how they functioned prior to today's update. This should release later today.

Some added context on how today’s change came to be. As I mentioned in my earlier post, we’re in the process of finalizing our engine upgrade to DirectX11. Completing that upgrade is going to open the door to new DX11 rendering features that will allow us to improve the graphical fidelity and performance of the game.

In preparation for that transition and as part of our overall graphics upgrade initiative, today's change enabled color grading by default, which allows our environment artists to leverage color look-up tables to create distinct moods for different environments. This will ensure that art quality across different graphics settings profiles is more consistent with our standards. However, color grading isn't the main culprit behind the issues that have been raised today—it's because of graphics features and effects like light bloom that are being forced on for all players in the revised postprocessing settings.

When we set out to make these changes, we recognized that we'd need to give players control over settings like light bloom by separating it out from postprocessing. That change didn't make it into today's build, so we're reverting the color grading and postprocessing changes and will ship them all together once that is ready.

We recognize that our players have a wide variety of hardware configurations and graphics preferences. As we continue to work on improving the game's graphical fidelity, we want to give players as much control as we can over their graphics settings, whether it's for aesthetic, performance, or accessibility reasons.

Thank you for your patience today,

Josh Davis
Game Director

Thank you and the team so much for listening and acting expeditiously! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

When we set out to make these changes, we recognized that we'd need to give players control over settings like light bloom by separating it out from postprocessing. That change didn't make it into today's build, so we're reverting the color grading and postprocessing changes and will ship them all together once that is ready.

All other things aside, the news that we're going to start seeing postprocessing split out into its component parts a bit is great to hear.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Quick update. We're working on a hotfix now that will revert the postprocessing changes and return things to how they functioned prior to today's update. This should release later today.

Some added context on how today’s change came to be. As I mentioned in my earlier post, we’re in the process of finalizing our engine upgrade to DirectX11. Completing that upgrade is going to open the door to new DX11 rendering features that will allow us to improve the graphical fidelity and performance of the game.

In preparation for that transition and as part of our overall graphics upgrade initiative, today's change enabled color grading by default, which allows our environment artists to leverage color look-up tables to create distinct moods for different environments. This will ensure that art quality across different graphics settings profiles is more consistent with our standards. However, color grading isn't the main culprit behind the issues that have been raised today—it's because of graphics features and effects like light bloom that are being forced on for all players in the revised postprocessing settings.

We recognize that our players have a wide variety of hardware configurations and graphics preferences. As we continue to work on improving the game's graphical fidelity, we want to give players as much control as we can over their graphics settings, whether it's for aesthetic, performance, or accessibility reasons.

Josh Davis
Game Director

Fantastic. Thank you for the insight.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Josh Davis
Game Director

Appreciate how candid you have been in this post.  Good to see something that does not have an immediate monetary value but means a great deal to the players being worked on so diligently.

Thanks Josh and the team at the studio!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
1 minute ago, neighto.7386 said:

I play with post-processing turned off due to it triggering my migraines.    Guess I'm just gonna have to take a break from the game until this gets fixed cause as it stands, I can't play the game without getting quite sick.   

I'm sorry that's happening. Hang in there a little longer--as Josh noted in his post above, we have a hotfix going out that should release later today. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Josh Davis
Game Director

Wonderful, thank you so much! I appreciate the explanation and the time taken to sort this out ASAP, it's a huge relief to know that you guys have my back and are willing to acknowledge missteps.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

You cannot grasp how happy I am to hear this. There are only two issues I have with post processing in GW2, and that's the bloom levels and the outlines around selected characters. I love that bloom is being separated! Please, please separate the outline effect too!

And please, for the love of all that is good, give us a way to limit the level of particle effects originating from other player characters - infusions, skins, and skills. Either separately (preferred) or combined. At launch the amount was manageable but as gemstore skins got fancier and fancier and elite spec skills got more and more prominent and AoE circles became fuller all to compensate, the screen can easily become a ball of colors with no distinction or ability to see enemy attack spheres.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, otto.5684 said:

I guess this why the game has massive drop in frame rates. It is borderline unplayable.

Please bear in mind that a lot of the game contains bespoke coding made by past developers, so it takes time and iterative process to properly update the graphics for Guild Wars 2.

Thank you.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Josh Davis
Game Director

Will this fix the green/red/blue outlines around small bodies of water that started to happen on the November balance patch? Also I was doing the long JP in lions arch and noticed that the white structures near the water were quite washed out and bright. This was yesterday night. I have a 3070 TI Founders Edition. Someone else who was playing with me that day was also complaining about the same thing and they also have a 3070.

Edited by ZeroTheRuler.7415
  • Confused 1

I'm someone who has very very sensitive eyes due my high eye number to the point without my glasses I'm technically can't see 80% of environment and every detail is blurry.

Literally first thing I check if there is dark theme in every game or program etc. Since this change everything is way too bright and especially Mistlock Sanctuary. I can't even look at it for more than 5 secs and immediately leave out of it.
Hopefully we can fully turn it off again after it will be addressed today.

Edited by Krasus.7456
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Zorp.3926 said:

We don't want Color Grading either.

lol of course we want color grading. Color grading is needed to give the game the look the art directors are going for. The problem with the current grading is that the colors are often too saturated and the contrast is way too high so everything looks dark and ugly or like a flashlight. Once they fully transition to dx11 I'm guessing their plan is to make more changes to the way the game looks so it should hopefully be improved in the future.

As it is right now however, it's way too much and I (like many others) prefer to play without it. So what we want is the ability to turn it off. Not to just "not have color grading".

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1