Crash loading character [Merged]

1 minute ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

People are looking into this. For the sake of due diligence, in the meantime I'm going to point you to this thread

• Note that the game may not launch or work properly after we release a new build if you use a third-party program, due to possible incompatibilities. Customer Support cannot offer support if a third-party modification breaks, interferes with, or prevents you from playing Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2.

This may be what some of you are running into.

I use no third party programs. The issue is shadows set to ultra as Kilty noted above.

• Like 3

Just now, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

People are looking into this. For the sake of due diligence, in the meantime I'm going to point you to this thread

• Note that the game may not launch or work properly after we release a new build if you use a third-party program, due to possible incompatibilities. Customer Support cannot offer support if a third-party modification breaks, interferes with, or prevents you from playing Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2.

I use no third party add on software at all in my game. The lowering the shdow setting tip worked

4 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi Rubi, 

Someone has purposed a workaround please see quote below

6 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

Entering a map with shadows set to ultra is crashing the game, you will be fine while you are at the character screen

changing your shadow settings stops the crashes for me too

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
9 minutes ago, squeegee.4320 said:

I use no third party programs. The issue is shadows set to ultra as Kilty noted above.

People are still looking into it and we'll get it sorted as fast as we can. This is just for those in the thread who may be running into this--hopefully we can point them to a solution while we're working on this.

Thank you all for sharing the error logs and possible causes, I've been passing them along to the team looking at this!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

Entering a map with shadows set to ultra is crashing the game, you will be fine while you are at the character screen

can confirm: trying to load a character with shadows set to "ultra" gives that "heap" crash listed above. changing the shadow setting to high (while on the character select screen) allows characters to load. the only additional program i use is Precision X, which affects specifically the Graphics Card (controls fan curves and On Screen Display monitor for GPU stats, such as GPU temp, Fan Speed, FPS.)

• Thanks 1

I am having same problem, I do not use any add-ons - in the error message it says trouble loading textures, so I'm going to try messing with shadows and report back

**ok yeah, taking shadows from Ultra to High worked for me. I'm going to miss those little shadows but atleast I can play now!

Edited by SeRinnity.1543

10 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

People are still looking into it and we'll get it sorted as fast as we can. This is just for those in the thread who may be running into this--hopefully we can point them to a solution while we're working on this.

Thank you all for sharing the error logs, I've been passing them along to the team looking at this!

My game also crashed upon loading. Sent the log through the crash reporter window that popped up, hope that helps in some way.
Not using any third-party tools.

Edited by nicoper.3215
  • Like 1

"Yes appears to be a bug with shadows set to ultra."

This is it, I set it back to high and it's good. But if you set it back to ultra while in game it will crash. 

I can finally use ultra shadows with almost zero stutter, upgraded to a 5800X3D this is the MMO CPU 😀

Never used any addons. Purist 🙂
Game crashed with heap error upon selecting a character. Different zones and different characters all crash.

Changing Shadows setting from Ultra to High solves it. I'm guessing Ultra is no longer viable and it causes a memory mishap due to being out of bounds.

Edited by Skie.8904
grammer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I only run one third-party program, it's incredibly easy to turn off since I normally only use it to keep a log of what fish I have caught in an area and how long is remaining on the current day or night cycle, so I turned it off and tried logging in to the game again. It still crashes when trying to load Diessa Plateau.

I tried turning the new post processing option to low, it still crashes.

Edit: Ok, I tried switching shadows from Ultra like I always have them normally to high, and now it loads. Thanks!

Edited by Morticoccus.6540
Issue solved.