Did Arenanet ruin food?

What am I missing here. Every year I look forward to this time of the year in game, for many reasons, but more specifically for the affordable in game food to use in PvE and WvW. I cannot express this enough.

Normally I have bought winter food every year such as Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream in place of Omnomberry Ghost given the price difference, I then use those throughout the year until next Christmas. Now the price is about the same and maybe will end up going higher than Omnomberry Ghost, but this has never happened in the past. Is this something with EoD or something else that I'm not aware of?

Others affected items that I would buy each year are Peppermint Omnomberry Bars and Tropical Peppermint Cakes, but these are way out of reach in terms of affordability. Please be respectful in replies and do not fail to see the forest for the trees by explaining how much gold you can earn per hour doing X to pay for the food, etc. 

Is this intended too/Arenanet is aware of this or even wanted this outcome?

Thank you

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

be happy, u will have research notes!

I don't know if this is joking or serious because I don't have EoD/know enough about research notes other than the quick wiki search I just did. It's a crafting/wallet material maybe gained by salvaging the winter foods? Wouldn't this be for all foods/crafted items though; why does it seem like winter foods are the only ones taking such a large hit?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

I don't know if this is joking or serious because I don't have EoD/know enough about research notes other than the quick wiki search I just did. It's a crafting/wallet material maybe gained by salvaging the winter foods? Wouldn't this be for all foods/crafted items though; why does it seem like winter foods are the only ones taking such a large hit?

they removed festival foods(theres old topics complaining about that they removed haloween foods too) because theyre salvagable for research notes, instead of just blocking the salvage, they removed the source of food.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

Anet removed food drops from Trick or Treat bags and Winterday gifts to prevent people from salavaging them for EoD research notes.

• Like 8

Just now, ugrakarma.9416 said:

they "nerfed" foods because theyre salvagable for research notes, instead of just blocking the salvage, they removed the source of food.

That is such an unfortunate oversight; this time of the year means something different to each individual and should definitely be an exception to the general rule. I agree they should just block salvage on festival foods instead of allowing their price to surpass the foods they have replaced in the past. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

The way I understand it, is that the wintersday food items could be either crafted or gotten from gifts. But they were the same items. Craftable items can now be dismantled for research notes, a new currency.

However, because they are plentiful from loot, it would bypass the crafting and therefore miss their objective. So they took out the food items from the loot and so now they can only be got from crafting, since the food items are exactly the same regardless of whether they were crafted or not. So they couldn't just block the item from being disassembled for research notes.

I would've thought that making them another item number in the background or even another name would be a solution, but I guess they really just wanted to get rid of the cheap food? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Ashen.2907 said:

Anet removed food drops from Trick or Treat bags and Winterday gifts to prevent people from salavaging them for EoD research notes.

I did notice less food/no food from Trick of Treat bags too but figured it was bad luck. This is crazy! 

For 9 years we have been able to expect certain things when the holidays come around and lack of foresight regarding research notes being added to the game they just go the easiest (not best) route by creating a supply shortage.

Was this a big topic during Halloween; complaints that the food should simply just not be salvageable instead of removing it from the bags/gifts?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Fern Gully.9634 said:

I did notice less food/no food from Trick of Treat bags too but figured it was bad luck. This is crazy! 

For 9 years we have been able to expect certain things when the holidays come around and lack of foresight regarding research notes being added to the game they just go the easiest (not best) route by creating a supply shortage.

Was this a big topic during Halloween; complaints that the food should simply just not be salvageable instead of removing it from the bags/gifts?

Yeah it was a reasonably big topic around halloween as well. The idea that holidays would have rewards removed in order to drive a material sink in the newest expansion did not sit well with some (perhaps many) players including myself.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I would've thought that making them another item number in the background or even another name would be a solution, but I guess they really just wanted to get rid of the cheap food? 🤷‍♂️

It's painful, we have so much going on in the outside world and we come to enjoy this game and especially around this time of the year. This was something I looked forward to each year more than jumping puzzles or farming holiday activities.

Like clockwork when I sign in each December I would buy 1-2 250 stacks of the 3 foods I mentioned above and those would last for the year usually until next year.

I simply cannot afford to do that this year at these prices and based on what I am reading, I should only expect to see them go up further unless Arenanet intervenes; but unless this topic receives as much backlash as the postprocessing did, I would not expect any sort of change here for the better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Yeah it was a reasonably big topic around halloween as well. The idea that holidays would have rewards removed in order to drive a material sink in the newest expansion did not sit well with some (perhaps many) players including myself.

I definitely assumed I was just unlucky with the Trick or Treat bags or I would have been on the forum as well if I had known. I usually get utility consumables from those and my food from Wintersday each year, but fortunately I still had leftover utility consumables so I did not poke further.

I can't imagine who this change actually does please except for the people that have thousands of these foods just ready for times like this so they can manipulate the supply as demand increases.

Arenanet really doesn't understand the ripple effect these approaches have to the in game economy, this affects much more than just Halloween/Wintersday food as these are just the trees, the forest is the economy as a whole when such shifts like this happen.

In short, it isn't helping the new players/Steam players that just bought the game months ago. They will not get to experience at least what I considered my favorite part of Wintersday (and even Halloween knowing that now too). 

I'm sure other players have something else as their favorite part, sorry if it is not the same as I but this is just something that helped brighten my year for the past 9 years and was something I made sure to sign on for. This was a positive experience for me in the past 9 years :(

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's painful, we have so much going on in the outside world and we come to enjoy this game and especially around this time of the year. This was something I looked forward to each year more than jumping puzzles or farming holiday activities.

This sounds a bit overly dramatic to me, especially considering what's going on in the world. I mean, we're talking first-world problems here after all. I do agree it's not Anet's finest moment and it'll take some adjustment, but if buying food items is what you look forward to the most rather than the festival itself, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11

Just now, Gehenna.3625 said:

This sounds a bit overly dramatic to me, especially considering what's going on in the world. I mean, we're talking first-world problems here after all. I do agree it's not Anet's finest moment and it'll take some adjustment, but if buying food items is what you look forward to the most rather than the festival itself, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

It could be, I am just very disappointed by this change.

Everyone is fighting their own battles and try to do their best

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

Like clockwork when I sign in each December I would buy 1-2 250 stacks of the 3 foods I mentioned above and those would last for the year usually until next year.

I simply cannot afford to do that this year at these prices and based on what I am reading, I should only expect to see them go up further unless Arenanet intervenes; but unless this topic receives as much backlash as the postprocessing did, I would not expect any sort of change here for the better.

It’s been fed back by many of us since October. There’s a few threads in the festival subforum if you want to read more. It’s a silly change, but it’s what it is now.

2 minutes ago, Error.6071 said:

Why is anet like this...............

Changing things without notice and communication has been Anets modus operandi since a couple of years after launch. You get used to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

It could be, I am just very disappointed by this change.

Everyone is fighting their own battles and try to do their best

Sure and I appreciate that, but then just say that you're very disappointed by it. No need to pull all the world's problems into this 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

22 minutes ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

Normally I have bought winter food every year such as Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream in place of Omnomberry Ghost given the price difference, I then use those throughout the year until next Christmas. Now the price is about the same and maybe will end up going higher than Omnomberry Ghost, but this has never happened in the past. Is this something with EoD or something else that I'm not aware of?

Well you've been overpaying for your food since October 2019 because Slice of Candied Dragon Roll has been cheaper than either and still is.

49 minutes ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

Others affected items that I would buy each year are Peppermint Omnomberry Bars and Tropical Peppermint Cakes, but these are way out of reach in terms of affordability. Please be respectful in replies and do not fail to see the forest for the trees by explaining how much gold you can earn per hour doing X to pay for the food, etc. 

Since the 40% Gold Find seems so terrible that it can't even cover its own cost you should ignore that part and just look for +30% Magic Find food in which case Dragonfly Cupcake is a much cheaper replacement.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

It was a very poor decision to remove them for the sake of research notes. Having the food not be salvageable for notes at all would have had the same effect with none of the price inflation. It's not too late to change this so I hope they will eventually change it.

Indeed, the simplest solution by far, but they went with the least fair and unnecessary route. They won’t change it though. That opportunity was after it was pointed out during Halloween. This is it now

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2