Did Arenanet ruin food?

15 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Well you've been overpaying for your food since October 2019 because Slice of Candied Dragon Roll has been cheaper than either and still is.

Since the 40% Gold Find seems so terrible that it can't even cover its own cost you should ignore that part and just look for +30% Magic Find food in which case Dragonfly Cupcake is a much cheaper replacement.

THANK YOU!

I definitely need to buy a few stacks of these before the price skyrockets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fern Gully.9634 said:

What am I missing here. Every year I look forward to this time of the year in game, for many reasons, but more specifically for the affordable in game food to use in PvE and WvW. I cannot express this enough.

What you are missing might be the fact that food is practically free in WvW, you can get lots of different variants from the rank chests one is drowning in (well most use the dodge food anyway).

If you have to buy food for WvW you're either a min maxer and cost is irrelevant or you're doing it wrong (and you can use the food for PvE too of course).

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

3 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

People..do know that there are some festive foods that haven't risen in price at all...right? 

That depends on what time period you are comparing against. 1 year ago these were 70/90c. Today they are around 10s90c.

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

What you are missing might be the fact that food is practically free in WvW, you can get lots of different variants from the rank chests one is drowning in (well most use the dodge food anyway).

If you have to buy food for WvW you're either a min maxer and cost is irrelevant or you're doing it wrong (and you can use the food for PvE too of course).

there is also the endless birthday cake buffet through out the whole game

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

They removed the seasonal buff foods from all festival items such as Wintersday Gifts. That's why.

This was done in summer, though, so I am surprised there are still people who didn't notice earlier.

I searched through the entire patch-notes of 2022 to find it - without success. Was there an official  statement about it?

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That depends on what time period you are comparing against. 1 year ago these were 70/90c. Today they are around 10s90c.

there is also the endless birthday cake buffet through out the whole game

So I just looked at the most popular magic find food..most expensive one I've seen was for...6 silver, tops. So where exactly are you getting the 10s 90c from?

Edit: Dragonfly Cupcakes are still 89c and slightly fluctuating? Yea, I get the 6s raise, but again, not seeing the dramatic 10s that is being pointed out.

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

So I just looked at the most popular magic find food..most expensive one I've seen was for...6 silver, tops. So where exactly are you getting the 10s 90c from?

Edit: Dragonfly Cupcakes are still 89c and slightly fluctuating? Yea, I get the 6s raise, but again, not seeing the dramatic 10s that is being pointed out.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Peppermint_Omnomberry_Bar

I believe they're probably taking about this one. It was dirt cheap last year now the sell price is 12s.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

I mentioned the cupcakes in a previous post. The ones people are complaining about are those that used to drop from Wintersday Gifts so the MF food is https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Peppermint_Omnomberry_Bar

Plain Omnomberry Bars are a closer replacement than the cupcakes and they are also much cheaper than the Peppermint version. They are missing the +10% karma.

I personally don't use any food most of the time since I find them unnecessary.

This is purely speculation on my part but I think a major reason for these complaints is that there are people who find an answer to something and then expect that to be the correct answer to be correct for the rest of eternity. That has never been true but people keep expecting it to be true for some reason. Some people also seem to think complaining is better than adapting.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I searched through the entire patch-notes of 2022 to find it - without success. Was there an official  statement about it?

No, but you could see it by previewing said items (Halloween, Wintersday) in your inventory or on the Trading Post.

It was a sneaky update they didn't announce at the time.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think the major pain on this for me is that the research note system itself is so horrible.  If this had been done (even seemingly unnecessarily) to protect an actually popular system, then it might have been fair enough.

Solid point.

Even if a better or more broadly popular research system didnt appeal to me personally I could shrug off the food removal a bit more readily. Still dont think that nerfing holidays in order to drive a meterial sink would be a good idea even if the material sink was better designed, bit at least it would be more understandable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

They removed the seasonal buff foods from all festival items such as Wintersday Gifts. That's why.

This was done in summer, though, so I am surprised there are still people who didn't notice earlier.

That should not be surprising. The change was unannounced but even for announced changes there is usually little response until patch day.

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, but you could see it by previewing said items (Halloween, Wintersday) in your inventory or on the Trading Post.

It was a sneaky update they didn't announce at the time.

Thanks. So I've wasted time searching for nothing.

I do not have the time to monitor every item in the game to eventually catch ANet stealth-patching it. Pretty sure that is the case for a lot more people. I understand that the game is too complex to list EVERYTHING they change in the official patch-notes. That is not necessary. And I honestly do not care when they "Fix a client crash" with a mysterious 100MB+ package. Not interested in data-mining or unofficial leaks either.

But when they change something drastically, which impacts a majority of the playerbase, it should be the absolute minimum to at least notify us. If they do not want to talk about it, fine. Not nice, but acceptable to a certain degree. But going blind into the event to realize the change when it is already 'too late' is just annoying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

But going blind into the event to realize the change when it is already 'too late' is just annoying.

I understand your frustration. It's frustrating all across the board, really. People were complaining about it months ago, but to no avail -- it looks like this change is going to stay. 😞

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I wonder if people would have just been happier if the food had been modified so that it could not be used for research notes but still stayed in the game.

And since they later added the checkbox to salvage item for notes when crafting, they could have still left that.

That probably would have upset fewer people than the current strategy of just removing things from the game.  If I had know Anet was going to remove all these items, I might have held onto more of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

I wonder if people would have just been happier if the food had been modified so that it could not be used for research notes but still stayed in the game.

And since they later added the checkbox to salvage item for notes when crafting, they could have still left that.

That probably would have upset fewer people than the current strategy of just removing things from the game.  If I had know Anet was going to remove all these items, I might have held onto more of them.

So has there been any evidence that research notes is the reason other than pure speculation?

People keep making that claim but there doesn't seem to be a shred of evidence or reasoning to back it up.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

mintberryswirls alone are now 14s25c per with a total supply of 2,500 down from 93,000 5 days ago

will anet let these hit 1g+ per or will they intervene and resolve the issue they created or are they fine with the fact that most people enjoyed buying winter foods because of their price and are now priced out

Edited by Cpt Steve Zissou.7190
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Yet another mark, howsoever small, against End of Dragons.  The more I see, the more it seems that the new ANet is struggling to provide meaningful progression and enjoyment -- at least to me.

this seems to be a common trend with modern devs in most games unfortunately; although some have been able to drop their ego and retroactively correct bad decisions, not very common though

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

Useful food not being sold/bought for mere coppers as if it's a random useless trash-tier item is supposed to be ruining food? Is every other useful food also inherently ruined and -apparently- always has been because they were not dirt-chip?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6

Speaking of mistakes ... the original recipe used 3 Flawless Snowflakes. 1 Flawless Snowflake = 10 Snowflakes yet after the Flawless Snowflake to Snowflake conversion the new recipe requires 100 Snowflakes instead of 30. Why was there a 333% increase?

ANet trying to fix the price of these is nothing new. The items were added in 2015. The 2017 Wintersday added the collection event for them. Apparently that did not do the job and after 4 years of failure they reached for the nuclear option.