Did Arenanet ruin food?

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, it was used because it was dirt cheap.

No, it was used because of the effects. It was mindlessly spammed to no end because it was dirt cheap which made it trample any other option by default.

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It was exactly because it was cheap that there was a competition.

No, there were no competing with those, otherwise you wouldn't have some of the posts complaining so hard about it now, including yours.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 12/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, For The Love Of Pie.3240 said:

Agree the best solution would have been to make them not salvageable

The best solution for what we perceive as Anet's concern, perhaps. I'm not sure that salvaging them for research notes was their only concern though.

I think Anet decided that they were too cheap on the TP for what they do and also that it probably hurt cooking and those would be the other issues that I can think of. And there may be others that I'm sure I would not be aware of.

In any case, I can understand Anet's reluctance to talk about those other reasons and I just think it's a bit limited to assume that the research notes are the only reason for Anet to make this change.

• Like 2

So, OK, ANet didn't ruin food.  They didn't in fact ruin anything.   So, what did they do?  They removed items from event reward  containers.  That's their prerogative.  What they didn't do was replace those items with something else of equivalent interest to at least some players.

Ostensibly, this was done to benefit the in-game economy.  Will it?  I remain unsure.  Will more people now craft food or buy alternative food rather than buy Wintersday food?  Maybe.  Will this generate a significant spike in the price of crafting mats?  Not that I've seen so far, but it's early days.

What this move did do was feed into the perception that Guild Wars  2 is unrewarding.  And, that is not a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968 said:

I used the food to give presents to the orphans. What now? Will the act of gifting orphans too expensive make it irrelevant? It's a horrible message. I liked running around giving orphans presents.

You can spend karma for those toys in the vendor.

Having to spend karma to make karma, no matter how much of a profit, is what has made me quit gifting orphans entirely. I used to do it every wintersday without fail. But adding redundant steps is a colossal turn off to an already annoying process.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

If nothing else, they could just add the shortcut to buy the presents for 1000 karma directly.

Buying the skins, then going to the next merchant over to buy the wrapping paper, and then buying gifts is 2 steps more than really necessary.

If Anet really wanted to fix the problem with some crafting materials having no value beyond that of selling to merchants, they should have looked at those items and given them recipes to make crafting thing with them worth it.  The problem is that most items with no real value require some other expensive item in order to craft anything.

Now short term, there would be a stampede as everyone starts buying these cheap mats until the market catches up.  But the market would eventually catch up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

It is really amusing that Research Notes were implemented to mitigate surplus garbage in the game into a useful material. Only to remove said garbage from drops anyways to prevent people from getting Research Notes.

Research Notes are currently very easy to get so that is purely BS

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

yes, they both ruined food and events at the same time for some new garbage ascended food crafting crap most people dont use. But hey at least it highlights how useless Magic Find really is and that it doesnt effect drop rates nearly like it advertises itself to, food is pointless in a game where item value is arbitrary due to Anet and their lack of consistency. Food is dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:57 AM, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

What this move did do was feed into the perception that Guild Wars  2 is unrewarding.  And, that is not a good thing.

It's easier to make gold in the game than it ever was, perhaps outside of the understandably unintented "lets keep looting multiple instances for one event completion" temporal farms.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

You can spend karma for those toys in the vendor.

Having to spend karma to make karma, no matter how much of a profit, is what has made me quit gifting orphans entirely. I used to do it every wintersday without fail. But adding redundant steps is a colossal turn off to an already annoying process.

Those skins are also cheap on tp, you can choose to use karma to make much more karma or to still use silver instead. Either way, if you think it's not worth it then like you've said, you just won't do it. Plenty of people still see it as rewarding enough, from what I see.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 12/14/2022 at 10:08 PM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

they removed festival foods(theres old topics complaining about that they removed haloween foods too) because theyre salvagable for research notes, instead of just blocking the salvage, they removed the source of food.

That's baadd! I don't even use those notes lol. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/24/2022 at 5:53 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

It's easier to make gold in the game than it ever was, perhaps outside of the understandably unintented "lets keep looting multiple instances for one event completion" temporal farms.

Those skins are also cheap on tp, you can choose to use karma to make much more karma or to still use silver instead. Either way, if you think it's not worth it then like you've said, you just won't do it. Plenty of people still see it as rewarding enough, from what I see.

I'm not sure that all of the posters who are complaining about the removal of food consider salvage n' sell to be rewarding, though a case can be made that it objectively is.  For me, I'm not sure that the food was all that rewarding, either.  However, the fact remains that people are complaining, and those complaints could have been avoided with  a tiny bit of forethought on ANet's part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

14 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

I'm not sure that all of the posters who are complaining about the removal of food consider salvage n' sell to be rewarding, though a case can be made that it objectively is.  For me, I'm not sure that the food was all that rewarding, either.  However, the fact remains that people are complaining, and those complaints could have been avoided with  a tiny bit of forethought on ANet's part.

How is the salvage n' sell relevant here? And if you understand that in reality that food was also not exactly rewarding then I'm not sure why you've said what you did in your previous post either. Overally... not sure how this response addresses anything that was said here, might need explanation.

Of course some people are complaining, they got used to popping up that dirt-cheap food by default without giving it a second thought, while nothing crafted with similar effects could realistically compete with it. Now that food is less free so some people will go out of their way to start threads how that somehow ruins food/event/presents or even try claiming people suddenly stopped attending the event altogether because of it. I don't see how that's true though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
thread"s"
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Perhaps the statement needs a tiny correction: not the food per se "was ruined", but the incentive to open festival bags, especially the Wintersday Gifts, has been killed by the removal of food.

I had conversations with two new players yesterday who started only on Christmas and were quite sad when they discovered that they couldn't get Wrapped Gifts for the orphans without spending what to them seems a fortune at the Trading Post as the old clothes no longer drop, either.

Not being able to acquire festival food via Wintersday Gifts is truly a step backwards. There is nothing in those bags anymore that is worth my while. Not even Snowflakes drop at a satisfactory rate (it's one of the hardest-to-come-by festival currencies if you are after any new skins, minis or weekly rewards).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I had conversations with two new players yesterday who started only on Christmas and were quite sad when they discovered that they couldn't get Wrapped Gifts for the orphans without spending what to them seems a fortune at the Trading Post as the old clothes no longer drop, either.

Why do they have to buy stuff at the trading post? Why didn’t they just buy the stuff for gifts with karma at the vendor? 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why do they have to buy stuff at the trading post? Why didn’t they just buy the stuff for gifts with karma at the vendor? 

some players liked "gambling" with festival bags, and bought them em massive numbers.... 

now probably the videos like "opening 50k bags" will be rarer or extinct.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

some players liked "gambling" with festival bags, and bought them em massive numbers.... 

now probably the videos like "opening 50k bags" will be rarer or extinct.

This doesn’t answer the question, did you even read what I was referring to? Why do new players have to buy stuff on the trading post to get wrapped gifts when they can just buy the stuff needed for karma at the vendor. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

This doesn’t answer the question, did you even read what I was referring to? Why do new players have to buy stuff on the trading post to get wrapped gifts when they can just buy the stuff needed for karma at the vendor. 

the question is aswered.

" and bought them em massive numbers.."

these players are swiming in gold, not karma.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 4

Just now, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the question is aswered.

The two new players from Ashantaras post are swimming in gold? My question was why these new players had to buy the stuff on the trading post and why they didn’t buy it with karma at the vendor. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the question is aswered.

Re-read this comment chain, since you seem to have missed what the question was about.

Spoiler

"I had conversations with two new players yesterday who started only on Christmas and were quite sad when they discovered that they couldn't get Wrapped Gifts for the orphans without spending what to them seems a fortune at the Trading Post as the old clothes no longer drop, either."

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/14/2022 at 1:07 PM, Fern Gully.9634 said:

I don't know if this is joking or serious because I don't have EoD/know enough about research notes other than the quick wiki search I just did. It's a crafting/wallet material maybe gained by salvaging the winter foods? Wouldn't this be for all foods/crafted items though; why does it seem like winter foods are the only ones taking such a large hit?

Anet has decided to kill the game cause EoD and research tokens err pages (sorry forgot cause I dont use them). Woulda prefered to just get my dodge back in pvp/wvw and maybe another LW season and some festival upgrades vs all of EoD TBH.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Confused 6