Dear Anet, all I want for Wintersday is....

Horus.8304

To please, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AURENE, PLEEEEAASSSSE....

LET . ME . SKIP . INSTANCE . DIALOG

I can't stand hearing the same dialog over and over while I do my obligational EOD storyline for more Tale of Adventure. I can't stand doing Sunqua Recommendeds without being able to skip the dialog like that godsend that is CM. I hate doing my daily dungeon run and having to sit through dialog that isn't cutscene skippable. 

C'mon, I'm just asking for instanced content. Maybe add some kind of node like the CM ones where you can choose a "skip all dialog" option or something. At least give it some thought. It's just QoL but it would help my sanity as I'm now finding myself falling asleep at night and suddenly hearing that talking reindeer asking for help after Sunque recommended day and I think it's getting closer everyday.

Ah, great traveler! What fortune our destinies should cross paths on such a day!

Did you hear that?

"Quill"? Did she mean "quell"?

Shhhh shhhh, I think I heard something.

I can't just go up there with her like this. Maybe if they go first...

.... Must be my imagination.

Anyway. Give it some consideration as it would be the perfect gift...... or send me like 500 gold. Either works fine. I guess.

Does she really blame herself?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Merry-soontobe-Wintersday everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

To make life easier for you instead of pointing to the search bar, the last known reason for no skipping dialogue was that the scenes were “live” and skipping would cause severe bugs in missions including NPCs breaking, pathing issues etc. This was what they had to a lesser extent in gw1 and wanted to avoid. Originally they chose the proper cutscene style in the core game which allowed for it to be skippable, but player feedback was against them and for more natural dialogue scenes. Which until they can find a technical solution or return to old style cutscenes, will remain unskippable.

• Thanks 3

To me, a 'technical issue' = 'we just don't want to spend the time doing it'

This is software, they could make it work.  Even if it takes a few seconds in the background to set things up, there could be something in the bottom corner like 'you can skip to end if 5..4..3..2..1 seconds' type of thing, which would be vastly better than it is now.  I can't imagine many situations where it takes 2 minutes to set things up.

And there are counter examples of this, with unskippable dialogue at the end of instances where nothing at all happens during that dialogue, except when it finishes, the 'exit instance' option appears.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I'd be happy with "skip the cutscene" button for some of the story stuff and DS.
I was replaying some instances for achivements, unskippable cutscene is infuriating when you're repeating sth 3-5 times in a row.

We've had a lot of dialogue on the move before, then u don't really notice it much. That's the way to go, then u don't need to skip it and you don't need to wait in one spot waiting for sth to happen.

17 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

To me, a 'technical issue' = 'we just don't want to spend the time doing it'

This is software, they could make it work.  Even if it takes a few seconds in the background to set things up, there could be something in the bottom corner like 'you can skip to end if 5..4..3..2..1 seconds' type of thing, which would be vastly better than it is now.  I can't imagine many situations where it takes 2 minutes to set things up.

And there are counter examples of this, with unskippable dialogue at the end of instances where nothing at all happens during that dialogue, except when it finishes, the 'exit instance' option appears.

Technical issues means that software, and software developers are not perfect.  Software developers are not perfect because they are human (hopefully).  Software isn't perfect because it is built by humans, and bound by the inherent flaw of humans in that humans are not perfect.

Nothing is perfect, so demanding perfection is being seen as unreasonable in this thread.  

In your second paragraph, you only address the interface, not the back-end.  The functions and systems in software are not completely established by adding a button function to the graphic user interface (GUI).  In fact, most of the functions and systems that make up software are never seen by the end user.  This back-end is what takes time and resources to fix/adjust/etc.  

Overall, no one is perfect, and nothing built by humans can be perfect.  Perfection is something to strive for, but reasonable minds understand this goal will never be attained.  Mistakes will be made in GW2, and the software developers do their best to fix the software while keeping up with all other duties.  To ask for a flawless information system, such as software, is not reasonable.  To ask for anything made by humans to be flawless is also not reasonable.

Until we're overthrown and hunted to extinction for sport by the robot overlords.  Then you can ask for perfection.  This shouldn't happen for another.... *checks notes*.... 32.583 years (391 months or approximately 11,898 days).

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 1

Sure, nothing is perfect.  The game right now is not perfect.  But if skipping dialogue worked 99% of the time, I'd be happy with it, even if it bugged out 1% or the time (because more than likely, the time I saved by skipping the dialogue those 99 times will be greater than having to replay some instance that one time it fails)

Adding in the ability to skip dialogue does make things more complicated, so I can understand why Anet might not want to do it.  And I could also see that Anet is annoyed by creating all this content that people than skip, and then complain that they were able to complete the latest LWS chapter in 15 minutes.  It really isn't a situation they can win.

But the fact that when the game first came out, there was content, like dungeons, which had cutscenes you could skip says it is possible, and in fact is a feature they had at one point.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, Horus.8304 said:

To please, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AURENE, PLEEEEAASSSSE....

LET . ME . SKIP . INSTANCE . DIALOG

I can't stand hearing the same dialog over and over while I do my obligational EOD storyline for more Tale of Adventure. I can't stand doing Sunqua Recommendeds without being able to skip the dialog like that godsend that is CM. I hate doing my daily dungeon run and having to sit through dialog that isn't cutscene skippable. 

C'mon, I'm just asking for instanced content. Maybe add some kind of node like the CM ones where you can choose a "skip all dialog" option or something. At least give it some thought. It's just QoL but it would help my sanity as I'm now finding myself falling asleep at night and suddenly hearing that talking reindeer asking for help after Sunque recommended day and I think it's getting closer everyday.

Ah, great traveler! What fortune our destinies should cross paths on such a day!

Did you hear that?

"Quill"? Did she mean "quell"?

Shhhh shhhh, I think I heard something.

I can't just go up there with her like this. Maybe if they go first...

.... Must be my imagination.

Anyway. Give it some consideration as it would be the perfect gift...... or send me like 500 gold. Either works fine. I guess.

Does she really blame herself?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Merry-soontobe-Wintersday everyone.

One of the fattest juiciest gifts they could possibly give us. I actually miss the old story telling style where the game goes into full screen view of characters just because they were always skippable. It's a huge pain trying to replay story for chivos and/or alt progression and being unable to skip dialogue.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:55 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

To make life easier for you instead of pointing to the search bar, the last known reason for no skipping dialogue was that the scenes were “live” and skipping would cause severe bugs in missions including NPCs breaking, pathing issues etc. This was what they had to a lesser extent in gw1 and wanted to avoid. Originally they chose the proper cutscene style in the core game which allowed for it to be skippable, but player feedback was against them and for more natural dialogue scenes. Which until they can find a technical solution or return to old style cutscenes, will remain unskippable.

I loved random NPCs or pets photo-bombing live cutscenes in GW1 😄

Justicar Hablion being all stern and sincere, then some goofy Moa crosses in front of him 🤣