Request: Optional in-game "about me" character cards

Einsof.1457

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

250 gems for every 10 letters beyond the first 10?

Its a decent idea but tbh we know its going to be abused. I'm not interested in seeing a characters pronouns, their tragic background story ending in a patreon link or some incoherent rambling about how this character really, really love cheese.

interesting that you went straight for pronouns as your first example of what you don't want to see lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Yes please. I loved this feature in city of heroes. Also, I stopped doing the personal story on my characters after the first couple. They all have their own mini story I am itching to share. A Sylvari who was redeemed from the nightmare court. How is that possible?  My Charrs are all in the Hornz warband. There is a love triangle in my Asura krew. Etc etc. 

15 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

To avoid having to monitor so many, they could create a premade checklist that you could see as a player's card.  Something like "interested in...." and the player would go through and check box "open world, world bosses, raids, fractals, role play..." and other players could see it perhaps as a player info tab much like sending mail.  

I kind of like the idea, although I do agree it opens the problems of the handful of players misusing it, and already have other tools that cover it.  For people just standing around thinking hey that person looks like they might be interested in joining in, might be nice.

This is a fair compromise. Having a set of sentence building prefixes, suffixes, and fill in the blank options would be great. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 2:12 AM, Einsof.1457 said:

Should be totally optional, but I would love to be able for folks to right click me and see an option for "view character card" where they can see whatever I write there. Things like "always willing to help newbies!" Etc. would be pretty cool. If anet wants to go nuts, they could also allow us to add a photo or something to the card, but just a simple short text "about me" would be great.

I'm sure allowing people to upload images into the game would go... super well  😉

But in regards of the base idea, I'm pretty indifferent about it, perhaps other than it being just one more area for anet to moderate because you know some people will use it to prove how edgy they are.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm sure allowing people to upload images into the game would go... super well  😉

But in regards of the base idea, I'm pretty indifferent about it, perhaps other than it being just one more area for anet to moderate because you know some people will use it to prove how edgy they are.

I was thinking more of in game screenshots as photos, not uploading external stuff...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

No way, it'll be a collection that also requires 100 gold.

Oh, but you know each tier of that collection will also require a random drop from a strike. Or whatever they're calling the latest iteration of small group PVE at the time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I love this feature in other games like FFXIV and PSO2 and would love it here as well.

In FF the Custom Profile Portraits are also a pretty hype way to introduce your party members and enemies in PvP, and it's getting dungeon intros too I believe. I like it a lot.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Oh, but you know each tier of that collection will also require a random drop from a strike. Or whatever they're calling the latest iteration of small group PVE at the time.

Oh the horrors of playing the game for the rewards 😨

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Isn't there an RP overlay similar to TaCo that you can see other people who use it? You can see specific icons on a player character as well as other in game info and options that tell what kind of player you are.

Guess you mean this one - https://gw2warp.com/

As I haven't used this addon myself, I don't know how well it works and how many people use it.

13 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Isn't there an RP overlay similar to TaCo that you can see other people who use it? You can see specific icons on a player character as well as other in game info and options that tell what kind of player you are.

yes, but that's third party and you can be removed from it any time for any reason.  Sure ANet can do the same to your entire account, but I personally trust a company to be indifferent to malicious reports than an individual.

5 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I wish the anet writers were of the same mind. 

Unfortunately every American product is like that,be it social media or games or even company. Even if its self proclaimed as international, they still follow the values and morals from usa. Its not wrong, they have the right to do so.

Problem is, if we go against it, we would be branded as the "bad" guy, like be hit with hate speech. This seems smiliar to how the country above S-Korea and the country near India, does! (hope I don't get a warning for saying this,lol)

Edited by Blue D Phoenix.7260
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Overall, I definitely want this. People will talk about twitch links and pronouns and whatever, but honestly guys, if you don't wanna see it, you don't have to ever click and see it. Let's not have the GW2 fun police come barging in here and ruin this feature too just because *shocked pikachu face* trolls, idiots, and bots exist in the game.

They're always going to be there. Get over it.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

A direct whisper or say chat is all it takes if the other person is willing to share.

Assuming they see the whisper and aren't AFK or just have whispers turned off entirely for whatever reason.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Confused 3

I don't see why you can't just talk to people. Join a map chat, break the ice in a fractal, hell I met a chill strike buddy because I was doing some very unsportsmanlike behavior in pvp. There really are all sorts of players out there just looking for a good time.

Also, Runescape added this forever ago, and I think I mostly ignored it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I don't see why you can't just talk to people. Join a map chat, break the ice in a fractal, hell I met a chill strike buddy because I was doing some very unsportsmanlike behavior in pvp. There really are all sorts of players out there just looking for a good time.

Also, Runescape added this forever ago, and I think I mostly ignored it.

You can just talk to people and I do it all the time, but an About Me section could actually give more ways to start a convo. "Oh, I see you like so and so. I like so and so too!"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Assuming they see the whisper and aren't AFK or just have whispers turned off entirely for whatever reason.

Sure, if someone is of the type to actively avoid interacting with others, or isnt sufficiently interested to pay attention when whispered then they should probably be left alone as they obviously desire rather than have others attempt to pry....after all you can figure out what they are wearing, etc by looking and consulting the wardrobe, etc.