This is why GW2 loses players

Ashford.8540

Can't complete some story chapters at all because they require what is essentially a coordinated 20 man group in a public group setting. Literally every mmo solved this issue years ago, but was thrown out by Anet for dead fractals and strikes. Can't even complete the recent LWS1 because no one does the last chapter at all. Waited an entire day for nothing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 25
  • Sad 2

I've done LWS Season 1 on five characters so far, including a couple of weeks ago.  No idea why you think it's not done, but you're factually wrong.  The reason people leave Guild Wars 2 is because they don't know how to use timer sites or the LFG tool. That's a more accurate statement.

• Like 10
  • Confused 6

25 minutes ago, Ashford.8540 said:

Can't even complete the recent LWS1 because no one does the last chapter at all.

I don't recall the last chapter requiring any group content. If you are referring to the Battle for Lion's Arch, can't you just walk to the story instance icon and enter that, unrelated to how far the battle has progressed?

As to fractals and strikes, sorry but I haven't shared that experience. Granted tier 1-3 are more seldom than T4 where the majority of the player base is, but it usually doesn't take longer than a few minutes to get a group even there.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Stadsport.8714 said:

What story chapter are you referring to that requires a 20 man group exactly?

fight for lions arch is the last section

23 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

I don't recall the last chapter requiring any group content. If you are referring to the Battle for Lion's Arch, can't you just walk to the story instance icon and enter that, unrelated to how far the battle has progressed?

nnnnope no indication just a try again after a failure since there is a group check boss

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ashford.8540 said:

nnnnope no indication just a try again after a failure since there is a group check boss

The marionette fight in this story chapter is a solo encounter. If you need help on that one, you can consult video guides on youtube. There is not a single group fight boss in the last chapter.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The marionette fight in this story chapter is a solo encounter. If you need help on that one, you can consult video guides on youtube. There is not a single group fight boss in the last chapter.

wrong one, last one after that, fight for lions arch, it's a public/private group instance, it requires a group as there is a group coordination boss, but there is never enough players to finish it. and there is a "try again" after you fail, meaning start over, if there is an option to finish the story it's completely out of it's way cause I don't see it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ashford.8540 said:

wrong one, last one after that, fight for lions arch, it's a public/private group instance, it requires a group as there is a group coordination boss, but there is never enough players to finish it. and there is a "try again" after you fail, meaning start over, if there is an option to finish the story it's completely out of it's way cause I don't see it.

as I had mentioned, within that instance there is a spot where you can enter the story step and continue the story. I believe it's called "enter the breachmaker". I don't recall having to actually complete the fight for lions arch.

EDIT:

I looked up a guide from AyinMaiden. The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPmkhV2vLc&list=PLfGO6nwLkgL0ElTVF5CcXLQjaCjCUwQJz&index=8

The timestamp is around 11:20. You can see that even if the instance has not been completed, you are able to enter the breachmaker at the green marker thus allowing you to continue the story.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 13
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Ashford.8540 said:

Can't complete some story chapters at all because they require what is essentially a coordinated 20 man group in a public group setting. Literally every mmo solved this issue years ago, but was thrown out by Anet for dead fractals and strikes. Can't even complete the recent LWS1 because no one does the last chapter at all. Waited an entire day for nothing.

There is no story chapter that requires a 20 man group, ever. it's REALLY weird to 'lose players' to problems that players create for themselves. Sounds more like creating excuses to leave.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

as I had mentioned, within that instance there is a spot where you can enter the story step and continue the story. I believe it's called "enter the breachmaker". I don't recall having to actually complete the fight for lions arch.

This is my recollection as well.

• Like 4

Battle of LA history can be completed just by completing partial stuff on map, no?

I remember i did completed even achievment scavenger hunt stuff without need the entire instance participation(when u need find stuff on map).

The problem is that history part can be really misleading.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ashford.8540 said:

IDK being condescending is pretty unconstructive. Game doesn't want me to play it is not the same as not wanting to play it.

I'm not being condescending. It's your personal experience and you just assume that it's the reason why GW2 loses players. Such generalizations/assumptions are not constructive. And that's why I said it.

Why would you make such an assumption in the first place?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The timestamp is around 11:20.

Just a fyi: you can right-click the video and choose "copy video URL at current time" for the exact placements.

2 hours ago, Ashford.8540 said:

Can't complete some story chapters at all

All stories do not require any group instances. Only need some of those for achievements.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Didn’t they just celebrate continued growth of players? I mean I don’t dispute that there shouldn’t be any group story steps, but it’s not losing players right now it seems.

Im sure they did. Sadly those "players" are probably afk bot farms multiboxing and for exploiting the login rewards for gold gain with loads and loads of accounts.

• Like 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Sounds like OPs issue could be boiled down to it not being clear enough that you can progress the story instance on your own without having to win the Battle for Lion's Arch?

I haven't got to LWS1 yet (still in base game) so can't be sure if this is a fair complaint or not.

FWIW, I suspect when I get there I will want to win the Battle for Lion's Arch too (for completeness and fun) but I'm happy to work with LFG and timing etc to try to get a group together for it.

• Like 4

Just now, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Sounds like OPs issue could be boiled down to it not being clear enough that you can progress the story instance on your own without having to win the Battle for Lion's Arch?

I haven't got to LWS1 yet (still in base game) so can't be sure if this is a fair complaint or not.

FWIW, I suspect when I get there I will want to win the Battle for Lion's Arch too (for completeness and fun) but I'm happy to work with LFG and timing etc to try to get a group together for it.

Tried it again, and can confirm, you need to complete the entire instance for battle for lions arch to progress to scarlet solo instance to complete the final chapter, met two other frustrated players. Some are saying it's because of the holiday event in which case they need to know that you can get some jolly items right there just from killing a few bosses.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I'm not being condescending. It's your personal experience and you just assume that it's the reason why GW2 loses players. Such generalizations/assumptions are not constructive. And that's why I said it.

Why would you make such an assumption in the first place?

It's not a generalization, growth or not, you lose players with this kind of bad game design, and any mmo would gain alot more from say, replacing some metas players don't really play with a dungeon for example, not like I am sayin game dead blaugh blagh same copy and paste here about X mmo being better

Edited by Ashford.8540
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

There is nothing in The Battle for Lion's Arch that requires another player except maybe some achivements. The Tower of Nightmares maybe, but having other players for that only makes it faster.

Most of the time these complaints are due to wearing random junk and having bad builds.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

I kinda agree. It used to be that you'd log in and find 12 silverwaste lfg's and many dungeon/fractal groups (usually distinguished by casual or speedrunner). Nowadays you have so much choice of content that the game feels empty (esp in off peak hours or holidays), unless you do a world boss run.

Involving mass group content in personal story probably isn't a great idea.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ashford.8540 said:

Tried it again, and can confirm, you need to complete the entire instance for battle for lions arch to progress to scarlet solo instance to complete the final chapter, met two other frustrated players. Some are saying it's because of the holiday event in which case they need to know that you can get some jolly items right there just from killing a few bosses.

You absolutely do not need to complere the whole Battle to advance. Absolutely no story requires group events to complete, as I mentioned earlier. For this part, you can even solo it although it'll take a while. All you need is to fill the green bar by completing events in there and you'll be able to proceed.

Just so there's no ambiguity, I used an alt to do the story so I can take a screenshot: Battle of Lion's Arch story progression. Note the UI on top left that says 7/12 sectors recaptured and I got the completion. Soon as you get that, the instance location at Grand Piazza (middle of the map) will appear, as shown in the bottom picture.

The problem is there's a green location marker near the main north entrance when you are in the story, leading many to assume that's how you proceed to the next step.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9