Suggestion: I think this would be fun!

I love the Wintersday JP.  It sort of has it all.  It's somewhat competitive, with a scoreboard and other players present.  It offers farmable rewards.  It has multiple paths for variable difficulty.  I also love the style of JP that pushes the pace somewhat with the cold sapping your health and the snowflake platforms crumbling under your feet.  It even has a fun theme to it!  You guys just did a great job with this JP all around!

So, I was thinking wouldn't it be great as an alternative to the same old event farming if we had something like this JP incorporating all of the things that make it great available year round?  They could possibly make a hub for it and have different themed JPs you could zone into.  Maybe an Asura-themed JP using those disappearing light platforms?  Maybe one for the Sylvari with growing vines that you have to keep up with?  But with decent repeatable rewards so you could pop in and farm a bit for something different from the usual event and world boss farms.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

The problem with this is - it would always end up being made "just for fun" because if any sort of decent rewards drop there  there would be an uproar from the people who can't do the jumping puzzles, or don't like them, feeling like they're being left out, or even worse, taking it personal.

Then anet would nerf the rewards, and without rewards, the game mode would be dead pretty soon.

See all the other dead-ish game modes that aren't played much anymore because the rewards suck and people don't like not being rewarded for their time.

Sure it would be a novelty, and maybe have people playing, but idk how exactly popular jumping puzzles are with people. They work in open world because of the exploration aspect, and they work in seasons because the rewards are nice and they're worth doing, but aren't overshadowing other content since they're only available for a short time.

So, idk...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I appreciate some players' fondness for jumping puzzles.  The Wintersday one is well done, especially with it's three routes.   

I do not share the love for jps.  I do them because I have to for something, not for fun.   I am all for having one in each map for those who enjoy them.  Having a revolving instanced one sounds like you will have only the diehard jumping puzzles aficionados in there, which seems like a poor use of resources.   Also kind of takes away from the specialness of the festival ones.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

The problem with this is - it would always end up being made "just for fun" because if any sort of decent rewards drop there  there would be an uproar from the people who can't do the jumping puzzles, or don't like them, feeling like they're being left out, or even worse, taking it personal.

Then anet would nerf the rewards, and without rewards, the game mode would be dead pretty soon.

See all the other dead-ish game modes that aren't played much anymore because the rewards suck and people don't like not being rewarded for their time.

Sure it would be a novelty, and maybe have people playing, but idk how exactly popular jumping puzzles are with people. They work in open world because of the exploration aspect, and they work in seasons because the rewards are nice and they're worth doing, but aren't overshadowing other content since they're only available for a short time.

So, idk...

If it were roughly competitive with open world metas if you're good at it and less so if you aren't, I don't see how it would be any more of a problem than any other time when people say "I don't like X type of content, make Y type of content instead."

If you want to know how popular this style of JP is, just pop in to the Wintersday JP any time.  At current value, you might get 12g per hour from gifts if you almost never fail at it, which is nothing special compared to other available activities.  Yet map instances for this JP are full at all hours with players jumping away.  I think it would be more fun than the standard JPs they put out and something different from yet another boss event in open world.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

if we had something like this JP incorporating all of the things that make it great available year round?

This would be fun and not too different from the mini-games we have year-round like Crab Toss.

22 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

if any sort of decent rewards drop there  there would be an uproar

They actually ran into this with the Halloween Clocktower puzzle, and their solution was simply to place a chest at the bottom powered by relevant currency for those who couldn't/didn't want to do the puzzle itself. A similar solution could be offered with OP's idea, using regional materials or something related to the content where this grindable JP concept gets implemented. That way, you could choose to either spend time/effort or materials to hit the same goal.

Alternatively, if the proposed activity is in an openworld location, they could simply allow people to do their thing with Mesmer portals and prototype position rewinders, same as is currently done for other puzzles.

Finally, they could sidestep this issue entirely by making the loot at the end of the puzzle no different than loot that drops elsewhere in the region, meaning the activity would be an alternative source of stuff instead of the only source, much like how the Wintersday puzzle is merely another source of gifts instead of being exclusive. This may actually be the best way to approach OP's idea, because the key difference between it and regular JPs is that you could conceivably sit there doing it over and over and so you wouldn't really want the loot to be too impactful.

I like the Wintersday puzzle a lot, and as OP mentioned, the choice to include different paths is a great way to appeal to a wide range of people. If repeatable/grindable JP activities available all year became a thing, I think they'd fit right in. Please give. I want have.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

If it were roughly competitive with open world metas if you're good at it and less so if you aren't, I don't see how it would be any more of a problem than any other time when people say "I don't like X type of content, make Y type of content instead."

If you want to know how popular this style of JP is, just pop in to the Wintersday JP any time.  At current value, you might get 12g per hour from gifts if you almost never fail at it, which is nothing special compared to other available activities.  Yet map instances for this JP are full at all hours with players jumping away.  I think it would be more fun than the standard JPs they put out and something different from yet another boss event in open world.

Yup. That's why i saidn "idk" at the end. Those were  just my initial thoughts on this.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

They actually ran into this with the Halloween Clocktower puzzle, and their solution was simply to place a chest at the bottom powered by relevant currency for those who couldn't/didn't want to do the puzzle itself.

The uproar wasn't because of the hard JP, that JP existed for years and no one had a problem with it. The uproar was because they made it required to finish to get the yearly meta achievement and get the skin, or i think it was spectral joko mini.

And since people with certain minor/major disabilities play this game, requiring someone to finish the hardest jumping puzzle in the game that requires near perfect precision to get the meta reward, rightly turned some heads. Especially because of how Anet was being all inclusive and stuff lately. Didn't feel inclusive at all, or rather it felt like inclusivity stops at disabilities.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

The uproar wasn't because of the hard JP. The uproar was because they made it required to finish to get the yearly meta achievement and get the skin.

I didn't say the problem was difficulty though? (I actually like the Halloween puzzle too; masochist, I guess) I said people were upset because those who couldn't/didn't want to finish the puzzle couldn't get the rewards locked behind it, and they added the chest as an alternative way to get those rewards.

If OP's idea got implemented, it's one of the three workarounds I suggested to ensure access for people. I like the idea, and I also agree that accessibility should be kept in mind if it's implemented.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I would not be against it and it could be a fun activity.

But you can bet there will be lost of complains from those who only tolerate JPs for the achievements and dailies. It is popular right now because it's the annual festival and majority are doing them for the achievements. It definitely won't attract that kind of participations if it's a regular features. If the rewards are too good, you can guarantee there will be an uproar. If the rewards are not great, there will still be complains from those who felt excluded. Or demands from those participating to increase the rewards.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Project Danny.9478 said:

No

99.9% of the gw2 users hate jumping puzzels

By that percentage the game would have over 200 million players.

--- 

As for the topic, I think that by doing that the JP would get old if it was around all year, despite the different themes. So best to keep it around for a few weeks per year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

By that percentage the game would have over 200 million players.

--- 

As for the topic, I think that by doing that the JP would get old if it was around all year, despite the different themes. So best to keep it around for a few weeks per year.

Everything gets old.  Isn't doing AB meta for 1000th time getting old, too?  What's one more event?  At least in this case it's something different than yet another open world boss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

What's one more event?

Nothing wrong with a variety of different types of events. But some people seems to prefer copy/paste events as has been evidenced by all the debates on this forum.

-----

Everyone's favorite past-time is playing the game. Second favorite past-time is complaining and arguing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

THEY CAN'T KEEP UP, LET 'EM CRY
THROUGH JUMPING PUZZLES WE WILL FLY!

Skipped my fracs tonight like "I will never
go back to pugs alive"
'Cuz I need jumping in my life
just like a [fast] guy needs to grind

So I vaulted through the Reach's streets
right for the sound of crumbling and tears, YEEEEEEEAH!
Slid by some canes bearing no fear
and some charrming gal slashed me a /cheer!

She landed lithe upon a 'flake
goaded me over, grinned
"Gods ain't gon' catch ya, mate"

"Hah; ain't gon' fall," I told her
dodge-lept past her worn platform
and as her paws lost balance
the games were truly on!

Winds howled
JUMP YOUR ROLLS UP HIGH
WATCH SKRITTS' SNOWBALLS DEMONSTRATE
ANet Hitbox causing /map flame
CAUSING /MAP FLAME!

THROUGH GINGERBREAD ROUTE WE WILL FLY!

'Nuff said, right?

As such...
JUMPERS EVERYWHERE
GET YOUR FEET UP IN THE AIR
WE'RE GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS PARKOUR FOLK
LIKE CENTAURS EATING DUST
YOUR SLOTH'S A THING OF PAST

Edited by Vyr.9387
Crediting muses.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Vyr.9387 said:

THROUGH JUMPING PUZZLES WE WILL FLY!

Skipped my fracs tonight like "I will never
go back to pugs alive"
'Cuz I need jumping in my life
just like a [fast] guy needs to grind

So I vaulted through the Reach's streets
right for the sound of crumbling and tears, YEEEEEEEAH!
Slid by some canes bearing no fear
and some charrming gal slashed me a /cheer!

She landed lithe upon a 'flake
goaded me over, grinned
"Gods ain't gon' catch ya, mate"

"Hah; ain't gon' fall," I told her
dodge-lept past her worn platform
and as her paws lost balance
the games were truly on!

Winds howled
JUMP YOUR ROLLS UP HIGH
WATCH SKRITTS' SNOWBALLS DEMONSTRATE
ANet Hitbox causing /map flame
CAUSING /MAP FLAME!

THROUGH GINGERBREAD ROUTE WE WILL FLY!

'Nuff said, right?

As such...
JUMPERS EVERYWHERE
GET YOUR FEET UP IN THE AIR
LIKE CENTAURS EATING DUST
YOUR SLOTH'S A THING OF PAST

Seeing a Manowar reference has lifted my spirits, thank you sir.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I didn't say the problem was difficulty though? (I actually like the Halloween puzzle too; masochist, I guess) I said people were upset because those who couldn't/didn't want to finish the puzzle couldn't get the rewards locked behind it, and they added the chest as an alternative way to get those rewards.

If OP's idea got implemented, it's one of the three workarounds I suggested to ensure access for people. I like the idea, and I also agree that accessibility should be kept in mind if it's implemented.

But you didn't have to say it, it WAS because of difficulty, but also what i wrote.

I don't really care if they do the JP's, as long as they're not timed, they can be cheesed with mesmers and that white mantle portal thing. The problem is when it's what Haloween JP is, moving, janky, and timed - making THAT a requirement for something is not smart. Imagine if they did like, Gen4 legendaries, then make this JP hub, then make one of the hardest ones that are moving that you can't cheese with mesmers a requirement...

Anyway, back to topic, idk how many people do JPs regularly enough that a full JP hub would do well. I'm not opposed to it, i do have fun sometimes doing JPs, and i like the wintersday JP, that one is well designed, but like, a full game mode? Idk.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Everything gets old. 

Don't I know it...

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Isn't doing AB meta for 1000th time getting old, too?  What's one more event?  At least in this case it's something different than yet another open world boss.

Sure but that's exactly why some things need to stay fresh(ish).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I love the Wintersday JP.  It sort of has it all.  It's somewhat competitive, with a scoreboard and other players present.  It offers farmable rewards.  It has multiple paths for variable difficulty.  I also love the style of JP that pushes the pace somewhat with the cold sapping your health and the snowflake platforms crumbling under your feet.  It even has a fun theme to it!  You guys just did a great job with this JP all around!

So, I was thinking wouldn't it be great as an alternative to the same old event farming if we had something like this JP incorporating all of the things that make it great available year round?  They could possibly make a hub for it and have different themed JPs you could zone into.  Maybe an Asura-themed JP using those disappearing light platforms?  Maybe one for the Sylvari with growing vines that you have to keep up with?  But with decent repeatable rewards so you could pop in and farm a bit for something different from the usual event and world boss farms.

I think this would be a fun idea.  It's similar to requests for having SAB year-round.   Understand that this may not happen because the skill and time required to create these jumping puzzles is immense.  Check out Josh Foreman's videos for insight into how much thought goes into creating these things.  He's also the creator of most of the jumping puzzles in GW2.

I like the idea and think it would be a fun addition to the game.  It would be another set of activities and I can randomly do on a whim just to change things up.  I also want to emphasize that the Wintersday JP is far more accessible than the Mad King JP.  The key is audio cues to help give direction and allowing enough time to react to audio cues and commit directions to memory.

I, personally, don't do JPs that often, but I think the player-base is diverse enough to have such an activity present in the game.  What I like about GW2 is it's inherent replayability with the wide array of ways to play the game, such as game modes and playing different professions.  This idea, i believe, would add to that replay value (disregarding any reward mechanics).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1