Had one of the best MMO experiences tonight...

cgx.8962

Always happy to hear stories like this.  So you know, this isn't an isolated incident. I have a character named New Player Helper and I'm often in lower level zones and asking people if they need help. I'm almost always happy to show people around and spend time with them, often on discord.

Building the community just makes the game better for all of us. Welcome to Tyria.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I spent 10k hours on a main in WOW and finally accepted what i knew deep down about WOW that its a cesspool of antisocial behaviour driven by the primary objective around gear and damage/Gear meter wars.  I've now been playing GW2 for 10 years and several thousands hours and GW2 is by far the best mmorpg out there due to smart design decisions that are being copied now by other games.  These design elements include capped gear/ Horizontal progression/complex builds/ break up of trinity/ node sharing etc

The Beauty of this game @cgx.8962and the only thing you need to 'unlearn' from WOW is that you are no longer competing with your fellow player to be the 'best' and there is genuinely no rush to get to any form of end game.  My recommended approach once you get through all the expansion stories (again take you time - no rush) is to bring up achievement search window, type in a random 3 characters and browse for achievements that appeal as goals for you, and pin them- this is your ultimate end game + wvw + pvp + pve + legendries + mounts

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 13
  • Confused 1

On 12/28/2022 at 4:34 AM, cgx.8962 said:

It's been a long time since a MMO has gripped me like GW2 did tonight. I've been playing about a week. This was attempt 5 or 6 over the past 8 years or so getting into this game and it finally stuck. 

I would go into my history with WoW for the past 17 years but I'm sure you've heard it all before. 

What blew me away tonight was running into someone who offered their personal house full of free nodes for crafting... That turned into a friendship. We ended up spending hours together. They showed me all the animations for all the Mesmer and necromancer specializations. Showed me mounts. How to set up my character for pvp. Answered so many questions. 

I couldn't believe it. I haven't had any kind of communication like that in a MMO in awhile. This is unheard of in WoW. it also opened my eyes to the scope of the game. There is so much going on in this game. I had no clue. I really regret not giving the game time in the past. I really could've missed out on BFA, Shadowlands, and dragonflight was just awful... Just wanted to share. Lol happy to have a new game and my first friend in GW2. 🙂

As others have said, this isn't a one-off event.  Week or so ago, couple of people asked for help with one of the hero challenges in Verdant Brink.  I helped them with it.  Ended up doing several others with them and showing them some other stuff.  By the time they were ready to log off for the evening, we had two new guild members.

• Like 4

I’ve been here since day one and last week someone showed me and 8 random others the ropes on a new instance, patiently training the group and encouraging everyone to have fun. It’s not just new players who see this, sometimes us vets experience the good side too and learn something without the demands of kp and meta builds.

• Like 3

It's partly because we have no sub, with subs people are like "I'm paying my in-game time, so I'm not wasting that time by answering/helping newbies", whereas without subs people tend to spend their in-game time in a more relaxed way, that's what I think at least.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

It's partly because we have no sub, with subs people are like "I'm paying my in-game time, so I'm not wasting that time by answering/helping newbies", whereas without subs people tend to spend their in-game time in a more relaxed way, that's what I think at least.

Depends. FF14 uses subs and has one of the best online communities to date. So it could be a factor for some things, but it is not the main factor. Not saying GW2 community is bad as well because it has one of the best out there a long with FF14. What makes a good community I think is design of the game and the push the devs make so all are welcome. 

And as an example of b2p and f2p games having not so nice communities. I say look at most p2w Korean and Chinese MMOs where I have seen a lot of scummy people congregate. So it really does depend on the devs and the direction of the game overall other than on the sub or no sub thing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

Its nothing to do with monetisation, the toxic atmosphere in games like wow come from the core game loop which is focused dmg meter and gear scores and a race where if you don't constantly grind to increase gear score you literally fall behind the power curve.  Dog eat dog and grind= gear score increases leads to ugly behaviours.  

Then ofc there is the impact of the gear score differential, given to equally skilled players, the guy who has access to better gear wins.  This gear score is a moving target that means that those who cant commit huge swathes of time constantly have weak characters that will always be outperformed, and those with the gear are under pressure to perform.

I remember standing in battlegrounds and literally killing 3-5 players in a few seconds over and over match after match with single target spells at range due to BIS gear, even 1 shotting other players.  Fun for me perhaps but ultimately shallow gameplay, poisonous for the game, and obviously horrible for those other players.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4

I agree that the game design can affect the community. I never really played WoW but I did do a free trial years ago and when I finally found someone else in the starter maps (which were mostly empty) all they'd say to me was "pls leave", it was the same with everyone else I found. When I got to a town someone told me that's because all those people were in 'grind spots' and just by being there I could mess up what they were doing, because if any enemy attacked me first I'd 'steal' the XP. That brief conversation was followed up by being told we shouldn't "clog up chat" by speaking unless we had something to sell, and new players have nothing worth selling so shouldn't speak at all. Later on someone told me if I got to about level 40 alone and in silence I'd probably be allowed to join a guild and then they'd permit me to chat with the other members, but unsurprisingly I never made it that far. That experience wasn't the only reason I didn't buy the game, but it certainly didn't do any favours.

By contrast PvE in GW2 is almost entirely cooperative, because everyone gets their own XP and loot based on their participation, events scale up to the number of players present and players are scaled down to the level of the area it's much rarer for other players showing up to be a problem. It is possible for a high level player to kill things so fast lower level players don't have time to tag them, but that's not really comparable to kill stealing in other games and still means low level players can play in the same area without having to avoid each other or form a party.

Add in things like anyone being able to revive anyone else, automatically sharing boons and healing effects with players around you and the game generally encourages players to cooperate and help each other, even outside of organised groups, which I think leads to more players seeing others as potential friends and allies to help, rather than competition to avoid or discourage, or ignore.

• Like 3

If there is one thing that easily encapsulates the reason for the cooperative nature of GW2, it's that all resource nodes are shared.  This, alone, was a drastic change for me compared to other MMOs (I've done EVE Online, TERA, Secret World, Aion).  

Everyone has equal access to all resource nodes, no players can interfere with gathering resource nodes, and no one can steal the nodes.  This concept is expanded to every aspect of PvE, wherein a player is never unhappy to see another player.  In fact, I distinctly remember changes made to the game based solely on this concept.  An example is the Sanctuary runes and Scourge mechanics, which were changed because healing from other players negatively affected you.  They also changed the starter zone champions to dissuade player conflict (some wanted to farm champions, others just played the game, both goals competed and were mutually exclusive).  

Since ArenaNet designed the game to be cooperative and friendly, the players, in turn, respond with a cooperative and friendly manner (mostly).  I'm glad for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Since ArenaNet designed the game to be cooperative and friendly, the players, in turn, respond with a cooperative and friendly manner (mostly).

This is exactly it. Cooperative, low-stress design.

The resource sharing in particular has completely spoiled me, and now I want all games to have it. Being able to pick up your friends when they're near death or break out the spatula at full death is also a great feeling (I like this feature in Borderlands as well). The other part of the equation is the way in which gear is designed. People aren't constantly shedding their proverbial skin with rapidfire new tiers - there's a relatively low ceiling to hit in terms of armor, weapons, and even bags, which means you regularly get people passing on those lower tier things to people who are still working their way up at no cost to the people doing the donating.

Pretty much everything you do in this game grants experience, and helping other players is often of direct benefit to you with regard to event completion, loot, XP, and even achievements. ArenaNet should never lose sight of this kind of design, because it's exactly why I fell in love with the game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

By contrast PvE in GW2 is almost entirely cooperative, because everyone gets their own XP and loot based on their participation, events scale up to the number of players present and players are scaled down to the level of the area it's much rarer for other players showing up to be a problem. It is possible for a high level player to kill things so fast lower level players don't have time to tag them, but that's not really comparable to kill stealing in other games and still means low level players can play in the same area without having to avoid each other or form a party.

Add in things like anyone being able to revive anyone else, automatically sharing boons and healing effects with players around you and the game generally encourages players to cooperate and help each other, even outside of organised groups, which I think leads to more players seeing others as potential friends and allies to help, rather than competition to avoid or discourage, or ignore.

I agree completely and remember the awe that players seemed to have at launch that everything in PVE was co-operative.  Someone would die and a swarm of people would show up to heal them, and the comments were just full of amazed players just getting a kick out of rezzing another player.  I think the novelty ended up growing into the base community behavior around players genuinely helping each other out.

The community did start to change after a while which was pretty sad, but there were still large groups that would jump in to help whenever needed.  I think the implementation of the mentor tag really also helped with that.  Some players really just log in to find newbies to help out even if it is just in a new map.  There are also a lot of players who help out with porting on jumping puzzles or walking new players through the steps without requesting/requiring payment.  That really helped me a lot and I now try to help others as much as I can when I am playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2022 at 5:34 AM, cgx.8962 said:

What blew me away tonight was running into someone who offered their personal house full of free nodes for crafting... That turned into a friendship. We ended up spending hours together. They showed me all the animations for all the Mesmer and necromancer specializations. Showed me mounts. How to set up my character for pvp. Answered so many questions. 

I couldn't believe it. I haven't had any kind of communication like that in a MMO in awhile. This is unheard of in WoW. it also opened my eyes to the scope of the game. There is so much going on in this game. I had no clue. I really regret not giving the game time in the past. I really could've missed out on BFA, Shadowlands, and dragonflight was just awful... Just wanted to share. Lol happy to have a new game and my first friend in GW2. 🙂

forgot the reason I first looked at this thread. 😕

I am really glad that you had this experience and found a first friend.  I hope that you continue to have the positive interactions and help pass it along to others.

You will likely at times run into idiots who just want to troll everyone, I hope those people don't discourage you from playing and playing in the way you find you enjoy the most.

• Like 3

Really happy about your experience, op.  I don't have much experience with MMOs but GW2 certainly belies the infamous reputation MMO communities have. 

My best experience was when I attacked a legendary bounty to get the griffon mount - I started the fight on my own (foolish) and predictably had to withdraw.  Then I sent a chat to the map asking for aid - within 5 minutes a commander and 2-3 other players came in and we killed the bounty easily.  They were very friendly.

• Like 4

Agree mostly. And it goes back to GW1. I remember a time or two that I was standing around waiting to get favor, and some kind soul was hanging around just giving valuable stuff away to new players for free. Also the many helpers in the starter zones were really appreciated. The one thing I wish was different is for some in the raiding community to be less annoying and obnoxious. Sure, I know there are great groups like Raid Academy to learn from, but beginning raiders are often run off by the crummy attitude of some veterans in that community.

Other than that, the GW community is one of the best in the MMO universe, IMO.

• Like 3