Home Instant Garden Bug/Issue??

A week ago got my first garden plot because one of my characters finished the Gourmet Chef achievement. I then planted (following the steps necessary) 4 different varietal seeds (after making the seed pouches for each). I was very happy when I thought I could harvested my own herbs. However the day before yesterday I entered my home instance with a different character and harvested (or so I thought) the plants. To my surprise when I looked in her bag it contained 5 Varietal Seeds and not the herbs. I couldn't believe it. I looked up via GW2 Wiki to see what might I have done to do this. I had no idea that I was "Pulling out Plants". Shouldn't the game have said "Are you sure you want to "Pull out your Plants?". I do have another plant, not planted in the "Plot" and I am scared that if I try and harvest it, it too will be pulled out and I will have to start the process of making "Seed Pouches" all over again.

The other issue (or bug) is that with the Gardener in my Home Instance. Why doesn't he show me seeds to get?

Well, after watching some videos, I decided to "Buy a garden plot" from the Trading Post for 1k, which at least for now the Gardener has seeds to buy, but will this "bug out" after I plant seeds and they are ready to harvest???

Gosh Arenanet, this is not right!!!

PS I did send a "Bug Report" the day this happened and it was weird but there were plants in the garden plot the next day, however after the reset, it was back to the "Open Soil" nodes =(((

3 hours ago, Sweet.5047 said:

A week ago got my first garden plot because one of my characters finished the Gourmet Chef achievement. I then planted (following the steps necessary) 4 different varietal seeds (after making the seed pouches for each). I was very happy when I thought I could harvested my own herbs. However the day before yesterday I entered my home instance with a different character and harvested (or so I thought) the plants. To my surprise when I looked in her bag it contained 5 Varietal Seeds and not the herbs. I couldn't believe it. I looked up via GW2 Wiki to see what might I have done to do this. I had no idea that I was "Pulling out Plants". Shouldn't the game have said "Are you sure you want to "Pull out your Plants?". I do have another plant, not planted in the "Plot" and I am scared that if I try and harvest it, it too will be pulled out and I will have to start the process of making "Seed Pouches" all over again.

The other issue (or bug) is that with the Gardener in my Home Instance. Why doesn't he show me seeds to get?

Well, after watching some videos, I decided to "Buy a garden plot" from the Trading Post for 1k, which at least for now the Gardener has seeds to buy, but will this "bug out" after I plant seeds and they are ready to harvest???

Gosh Arenanet, this is not right!!!

PS I did send a "Bug Report" the day this happened and it was weird but there were plants in the garden plot the next day, however after the reset, it was back to the "Open Soil" nodes =(((

From the Wiki:

Mechanics

Each garden plot comes with four Open Soil slots.

Obtain a seed pouch (see List of crops, below) and double-click it to convert it to a bundle, then interact with one of the Open Soil slots to plant them. Only one seed pouch may be converted to a bundle at a time; multiple pouches, even if they're the same type of seed, will be lost if you click them before planting the previous one. How many times you can plant from a single bundle depends on whether the seed pouch was chef-crafted (one plant) or Gardener-purchased (unlimited plants).

Upon planting, the slot will turn into Growing Crops. These will mature into harvestable nodes on the next daily reset. Varietal (chef-crafted) crops may only be harvested once before needing replanting. All other crops will regrow at each daily reset until removed by the player by interacting with the Growing Crops.

A Gardener NPC will be added to the home instance upon unlocking at least one plot. Accounts with a Black Lion Garden Plot Deed will have the option to purchase seed pouches from these NPCs, including four exclusive account-bound crops which can be used to craft  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/eb/Flask_of_Metabolic_Primer.png Flask of Metabolic Primer,  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/1b/Flask_of_Utility_Primer.png Flask of Utility Primer, and various dyes. Gardeners do not offer anything to accounts that have only unlocked the chef version of the plot.

4 hours ago, Sweet.5047 said:

I had no idea that I was "Pulling out Plants". Shouldn't the game have said "Are you sure you want to "Pull out your Plants?".

The Garden Plots are not the most user-friendly item.

When you equip a seed pouch, you'll be prompted whether to plant or remove, depending on what's currently there (growing crop or open soil). Always get close and make sure the crop/soil is highlighted before you plant any Ascended item or you may lose it if you already have one growing. Best thing before you grow a new crop is to remove all plants so they all show Open Soil, Then get close and click on one at a time to plant. If you're too far away, the game will default to a closer area such that you may plant on same spot.

Edited by Silent.6137

You're likely getting confused because there's two types of plants that go in garden plots. The normal plants, which you get from the gemstore, which can be harvested by you and any allies who enter with you (unless you already harvested them), once per day, but an indefinite number of times.

You never have to replant them, and you can even plant some special nodes that allow you to make food and utility potions, though these are account-bound.

The second type of plant that goes in garden plots is from the questilne for Chef, this offers varietal gardening for creating ascended food, and you have to create and plant the seeds every day and they aren't harvestable by allies. This is to keep ascended food valueable instead of mass produced, and any ascended food you craft can be used by all players nearby when you place it.

These two things aren't related, they just share the same garden plot mechanic. I hope this helps.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who replied. I have learned a few things since that post:

1) When you finish the Gourmet Chef Achievement, your "Garden Plot" DOES NOT come with the "Seed Selling Gardner". You have to purchase a "Garden Plot" off TP to get that guy. 

2) Varietal Seeds, as some mentioned and I learned from researching, are NOT like the other Seeds in the part of Harvesting EVERY DAY. Once you harvest them, you start all over. WoW!!! That's a big bummer to me and very costly and time consuming just to harvest it ONCE.

So even though I collect varietal seeds, from my gathering, I no longer use them. I now use the seeds I get from my Gardener friend in my Home Instance so that I can enjoy my Home Instance Garden.

Again, thank you all for your information and explanations. It gave me a smile to read them.

Edited by Sweet.5047
  • Like 1

Planting ascended crops is a little tedious, but it is totally doable. I have the gourmet plot only, and I am able to park my chef near the home instance and plant all 4 plots every day with ascended seeds. To be fair, I have a lot of cooking mats stored up, but you do burn through them quickly making the process of composting something that you can't just do the same recipes over and over. You pretty much have to either use what you have on hand in order to get the components you need, and supplement this with small farming runs for mats you need as well as looking up where you can buy the karma components. 

My process is this: Go to my chef's production list and select any of the ascended seed recipes. Click through to the Exquisite Extract component and see which of the 4 extracts I need. Then I use the wiki to look up the specific extract and use the lists there for which recipes will yield those extracts when composted. I sort the list by one of the cost columns so I can start with cheaper stuff. Then I look through to see which ones I have the most ingredients for. I rinse and repeat this until I have a decent stack of all the extracts so that I can make 16+ exquisite extracts, which will yield enough seeds for 4+ days of planting. There are some recipes, such as the Cup of Light Roasted coffee, which I use regularly because the coffee beans are cheap karma purchases and I can quickly stack up a specific extract. It seems tedious at first, but once you get in the habit of it, you can keep your garden full of ascended plants with minimal effort. I might spend 15 minutes a week doing my gardening, which includes daily harvesting and planting all 4 plots. This yields approx. 1.5g per day using mostly mats that are incidental harvest from playing the game. (I do a lot of gathering between events etc, and I have prospector glyphs on all three of my harvesting tools, so I harvest every node I see since every third strike on all 3 of my tools yields bonus ore.)

And as others said, when harvesting, I find it best to harvest all the plants before planting anything new to avoid confusion.