Loot Boxes/BLTC Chests

Kiof.5710

In regards to lock boxes being a necessary monetization evil in the game currently...

One of the things I dislike most is if I get an item that is not in the common table, but is not the item I really wanted, then there is disappointment on my part.  Especially if it is an account bound item I will most likely never use.  Example, I'm really wanting the staff or bow skin but end up with warhorn.  😕

In Star Trek Online, when you get a "choice of marks" reward, you have  a five minute countdown to select the marks you want.  If no choice is made, they are randomly chosen for you.  

Question:  Would the BLTC chests be more palatable or at least less offensive, if you got to choose the item from the rarity tier you "won"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

How about they just go away.  

I don't set myself up for disappointment.  I occasionally open some for fun, and don't expect to get what I want.  Then sell items I don't want, buy the one I do. Really anything I get is like hey cool, I got something.  Low expectations.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

They are not necessary, just very effective.

I do agree that there is too much junk in GW2's implementation of them though. IMO they would make more money if it weren't like that. I bet there would be more people buying them if you always got something decent even if it wasn't the exact item you wanted. There has always been too much trash in all rarity category.

• Like 3

I agree it would be better if you could choose what you got out of them. Many different games have some version of that, so even without inventing a new system there's a lot of ways Anet could do it. But the primary purpose of Black Lion chests is to make money and they make more money if people keep on buying keys hoping for a specific drop and telling themselves they'll definitely get lucky this time, so Anet are unlikely to change that unless they have to.

The statuettes make things a bit better, because all the untradable items from the chests are eventually available for statuettes (costing 60 statuettes each), so if you get 60 statuettes before getting the item you want you can get it that way. Also most of the items are either tradable or available from the gem store, so you can just buy them instead of gambling.

I would like a way to trade in skins I'm never likely to use. I never buy keys but even just using free ones I've gotten several skins I don't want and never use and it would be nice to be able to trade them for stateuettes or something else, but I'm not sure it's actually possible to remove an item once it's in your wardrobe.

• Like 2

For loot boxes, approach it with only the guaranteed drops in mind.  If the guaranteed drop is worth the gems/gold to get the key, then go ahead and buy/use them.  If you don't really care for the guaranteed drop, ignore the black lion chests and wait for the next cycle.

With this mindset, anything else you get is a completely unexpected bonus that you get for "free."  I say free because you value the guaranteed drop at the price you paid for the key.  Everything else is just an added bonus to what you wanted.  

This helps manage expectations with the black lion chests.  There shouldn't be disappointment because it's just free stuff that you can sell on the TP.  Unfortunately, this is the best way to use the gambling loot box system, or any other system that rewards you based solely on random chance.  Treat the randomization as an added bonus.

• Like 2