Another Mech Thread

Zombiesbum.3502

I really like mech, it's a pretty straight forward build in both PvP and PvE. However, the spec as a whole really does needs some tweaks that I either never see talked about, or doesn't get any real attention.

Minor Traits

One of the things that really annoys me are the Minor Traits for mechanics. Mechanist isn't the only spec the suffer from this problem, but it is from what I see the most aggreges. And that problem is that the minor traits are parasitic. Essentially these traits only effect the spec, are only granted by the spec, and require the spec for them to function. These traits are not optional like you would optionally pick alchemy for the minor traits. I like to think of the minor traits from mechanist as 'DLC cut from a game and sold to you as new content'. The traits here scream to me that they are there to fill text slots rather than any other reason. 
Compare that to something like Scapper's 3rd Minor Trait and you'll see the difference. This trait doesn't require the spec itself to function as it also applies to other aspects of the class. As said, this doesn't just apply to mechanist, they are not unique in this issue, but I feel like mech is one of the worse offenders here.

Overclock Signet

This Elite Skill has some major usability issues. Using the skill puts it on cooldown immediately, what does this mean? Well, if the mech is interrupted, unlike most skills with a cast time, the cooldown is not recovered. The other issue is if you use the skill after your mech is dead, but is still being recalled, you will not have the mech crash down again.

This skill needs two changes:

-It needs to recover cooldown (to the 5 second interrupt cooldown) if the mech is interrupted during it's cast time (not to be mistaken with it's channel time).

-If the skill is cast as or right after the mech is killed, then the mech will crash down after it's death animation.

Shift Signet

A couple of issues with shift signet here; it can't teleport onto stairs (why?) and it can't be used while underwater (why can't it just be modified underwater to "go forward"?). Additionally if you are hit with a disabling effect as the signet teleports you, despite it being a stun break you will be locked where you are (not where you were supposed to teleport to) while your mech is teleported to the location you designated. 

Skills vs Damage Type vs Attack Type

One problem with the mech is I think it's too rigid in how it can be spec-ed, or rather I should say the traits shouldn't be locked to both the mech skills, its stats, and attack type. The issue of course is there aren't really enough traits to achieve this without some rigid facets. Which is how it ended up with the spec looking like it is. One solution to this would be to change the way the mechs first skill works while removing/reworking the first level traits. For example, the first mech skill could be a toggle function between ranged + melee and apply the mech ranged or melee skill when it's toggled. This would not only allow more versatile mech play while in combat, but it would free up trait choices of apply augmentation to attacks (such as bleeding, might, more strike damage, barrier application, etc), all while moving the appropriate stat inheritances from second level traits to first level traits. This frees up second level traits to be a pure "I want this skill on my mech" trait. A change like this would also open more dynamic play without making the class "more intensive" to play in my opinion.

AI

Obviously one of the major issues with mech is the AI and pathing. And other than "fix it" there is really nothing to say that I think would be helpful here. Maybe allow the mech to jump over/onto obstacles? I'm sure nothing would go wrong with that right? 😛

Conclusion

I do think mech is in a decent place (at least in PvE). In PvP it's pretty underwhelming at higher level play (it's burst is pretty mediocre (compared to other burst specs), and it struggles to side node against many of the meta side noders). Most the the PvP problems come from pathing and bugs. I do think alacrity mech in PvE is in a really good place when it comes to design, but that's not to say the spec doesn't need work. There are problems that should be addressed (as there are problems with many other classes). /rant

Edited by Zombiesbum.3502
  • Like 1