Suggestion: New Trap: Proximity Barrel

Svarty.8019

When Arenanet asked the community for trick/trap suggestions, many years ago, they made caveats that meant they got barely any responses.

One such caveat was the stipulation that the trick/trap can't do damage. Ridiculous.

With that stipulation firmly defenestrated, we can move on and come up with the tricks/traps we should have had.

Proximity Barrel (Explosive)

My suggestion is to begin with the Proximity Barrel (Explosive). You can move on to "fire pool (burning oil)" barrels or "cow effect" barrels or whatever later.

The one property that Barrels should always have is counterplay. So the trap should be visible to the enemy. If enemies shoot it from range, it should explode. 

Obviously, this specific barrel should explode, doing approximately 50% of HP damage to all enemies in the area of effect. There must be no target cap at all. Not 25, not 50, none at all. Map blobs should fear the proximity barrel and make special efforts to counter it.

Nice to haves

I'd like the barrel to do knockback.

I'd like the barrel to blow up other barrels, giving players access to hilarious chain reactions. These types of mechanics will lead to very popular social media videos.

Points of Balance

If the barrel needs nerfing;

• the amount of supply required to build the barrel can be adjusted,
  • the AoE can be quite small,
  • the damage can be adjusted,
  • the knockback can be reduced/changed to knockdown/removed.

Heh, ye. What might have been eh? If only Anet had the willpower ... /sigh ... I guess another company will have to get the glory instead.

Edited by Svarty.8019
NOTHING WILL BE DONE
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

On 1/4/2023 at 9:20 AM, Svarty.8019 said:

When Arenanet asked the community for trick/trap suggestions, many years ago, they made caveats that meant they got barely any responses.

One such caveat was the stipulation that the trick/trap can't do damage. Ridiculous.

With that stipulation firmly defenestrated, we can move on and come up with the tricks/traps we should have had.

Proximity Barrel (Explosive)

My suggestion is to begin with the Proximity Barrel (Explosive). You can move on to "fire pool (burning oil)" barrels or "cow effect" barrels or whatever later.

The one property that Barrels should always have is counterplay. So the trap should be visible to the enemy. If enemies shoot it from range, it should explode. 

Obviously, this specific barrel should explode, doing approximately 50% of HP damage to all enemies in the area of effect. There must be no target cap at all. Not 25, not 50, none at all. Map blobs should fear the proximity barrel and make special efforts to counter it.

Nice to haves

I'd like the barrel to do knockback.

I'd like the barrel to blow up other barrels, giving players access to hilarious chain reactions. These types of mechanics will lead to very popular social media videos.

Points of Balance

If the barrel needs nerfing;

• the amount of supply required to build the barrel can be adjusted,
  • the AoE can be quite small,
  • the damage can be adjusted,
  • the knockback can be reduced/changed to knockdown/removed.

Heh, ye. What might have been eh? If only Anet had the willpower ... /sigh ... I guess another company will have to get the glory instead.

I like this one. Could see a number of interesting strategies on use as well. So let me pick your brain here and if not sure that's a fair answer:

* How many can be placed in a180 units?

* How many can a single player place?

* How long until they age out if not triggered?

* Can they damage things like walls and gates and siege?

* How long do you picture them to deploy? Is there counter play to mass rush bomb placements?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If you really want a trap that disrupts map blobs, design one that opens a portal and dumps the players into a different location on the map, or back to their spawn.

Not sure they were looking at it from a map blob counter but I will leave Svarty to supply that. I was picturing you need to buy a little more time at a breach so you leave some traps along the way to slow people down so you can get more time for defenders to arrive. That or help form a temp choke point at an area. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I love this idea simply for the comedic potential it has. It feels very looney tunes to me. I could see this working just fine if it only did some hefty knockback but basically zero damage, while also tearing clear through stability. You could easily put it right behind a wall as a, ya know, booby trap. Given mortars basically already do this, it would likely not break much, either.

But as OP said, this would require actual effort on ANet's part, which, ya know, costs MONEY. So I'm not holding my breath on anything of the sort.

I would love this.  As you say this is a trap, I would anticipate it would have the same proximity as the Stealth and Supply traps.  I can see setting these up behind some doors 😆.  Then you can see one blob destroyed by multiples of these 😏.  I would also like to see this as a throwable item, can have some fun chain knocking people off cliffs 🤣.

2 hours ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

I would love this.  As you say this is a trap, I would anticipate it would have the same proximity as the Stealth and Supply traps.  I can see setting these up behind some doors 😆.  Then you can see one blob destroyed by multiples of these 😏.  I would also like to see this as a throwable item, can have some fun chain knocking people off cliffs 🤣.

Could also see it in aiding a havoc try and disrupt/slow a zerg. You know they are coming across the bridge at Mendons, drop your traps and get ready for an ambush. Adds some additional depth to strategical play.

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Could also see it in aiding a havoc try and disrupt/slow a zerg. You know they are coming across the bridge at Mendons, drop your traps and get ready for an ambush. Adds some additional depth to strategical play.

Hmmm... actually, to add to the depth of strategy for use, timer can be the same as the siege disabler.  Then it cannot be chained like I was mentioning.  Though people would still need to be aware of where they are when they see one.  Though the OP did mention having it viewable (unlike the other traps).  It could be maybe a buried trap instead of the barrel for the poison/freezing versions?  Would give some use for trapping behind walls and walkways.

I can see a lot of potential with this trick/trap.  Lots of scenarios come to mind.  Would also give us more options than just the four that we currently have.