The Graphics improvements are good, But you're going to lose a Lot of players.

9 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's a known issue. A guess (guess, because valve is not exactly forthcoming, and there's no GPU breakdown for this category) is that it's Steam Deck and some Macs that fall in there. Possibly also some VMs. Not actual dx8 GPUs.

Ah yes, if it counts all those into dx8 then it makes sense. 

I thought, "are that many people really runnning Windows 98 retro machines?"! 😄

• Like 2

Ah, our monthly (or is it weekly?) doom and gloom, "Oh woe is I!" thread. I am by no means rich, but I find the means to play a game I like. If there is a need, there is a means in which to get it. Extra work, crafts, Only Fans, kitten, I don't know; pretty much anything can be used to turn some kind of profit. I believe your post is disingenuous and is sort of insulting: it's like, you're taking agency from yourself and other "poor" people and spin it into some kind of threat or as though it's some mind-shattering omen. (It's not.) I used to run Guild Wars 2 on a 6 year old computer with the bare minimum requirements to run it. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, dognosh.6327 said:

Sad to see the 2%-3% sub DX11 players losing out, but hope is high that my PC will stop crashing DX11 (and map improvements/game content) now that their hands won't be tied anymore.

It's not even 2-3%. It's more like 0.2-0.3%. Or would be, if those players were even capable of playing GW2 in the first place, which they probably aren't.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dognosh.6327 said:

Sad to see the 2%-3% sub DX11 players losing out, but hope is high that my PC will stop crashing DX11 (and map improvements/game content) now that their hands won't be tied anymore.

It sure would be nice if they could come up with an acknowledgement that DX11 implementation is currently crashing for some users (that have DX11 compatible hardware). And that they will be looking into it. However that is not the feeling I had from the announcement...

• Like 3

It took me two years but I was finally able to get a GPU to match my new computer.  My spouse's PC had a catastrophic hardware failure on the motherboard (power socket no longer able to transmit more than the power for the fans to do a single cycle) and it had to be replaced.  Mine was able to wait until the yearly tax return.  Both were 8-10 years old depending on the piece of hardware.  Back then it cost me $800 including the OS and monitor.  Grand total of upgrading all of it over the course of 2-3 years was $1700, nearly a third was the GPU and no peripherals or hardware.  Costs have more than doubled but in terms of how much money I'm spending a year (hope to get more than a decade out of my current hardware since I'm better at caring for it now)... that's slightly more than a month to month game subscription.  And I'm not restricted to any single game.  My research didn't pay off on the previous build (multi threading never got to be big) but I fully expect to have long lasting staying power with my new configuration.

My main issue I guess is that I've got to spend what I'm spending twice because that's what it costs to have a live in player 2!

Edited by Vain.3805

I am likely one of the few players that will be affected.

I believe I have (financially) contributed much more than an average player having purchased multiple accounts/expansions (for myself and friends/family for GW1 and 2), many in game upgrades and even a reasonable amount of merchandise (easily adding up to many100s or even 1000+ since launch).

yes my main rig is over 10 years old, but with an i7 CPU (8 core @ 2.80GHz), 16GBs RAM (1333MHz DDR3) and 4GBs GPU (GeForce GTX 260), it is still more than capable of running many games (currently GW2 at near max settings).

however although the rig is already running DirectX 12 its the graphic card feature levels are "10_0, 9_3, 9_2 and 9_1", so there is a good chance it will no run the new client.

I do plan to purchase a new rig but not for a year or 2 (unless this one packs up).

although my laptop meets the new specs and I will still be able to play from time to time it is unlikely I will be buy any further updates/upgrades until I replace my main rig (which could be a couple of years away)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deadly Moth.5687 said:

I believe I have (financially) contributed much more than an average player having purchased multiple accounts/expansions (for myself and friends/family for GW1 and 2), many in game upgrades and even a reasonable amount of merchandise (easily adding up to many100s or even 1000+ since launch).

yes my main rig is over 10 years old, but with an i7 CPU (8 core @ 2.80GHz), 16GBs RAM (1333MHz DDR3) and 4GBs GPU (GeForce GTX 260), it is still more than capable of running many games (currently GW2 at near max settings).

however although the rig is already running DirectX 12 its the graphic card feature levels are "10_0, 9_3, 9_2 and 9_1", so there is a good chance it will no run the new client.

I do plan to purchase a new rig but not for a year or 2 (unless this one packs up).

although my laptop meets the new specs and I will still be able to play from time to time it is unlikely I will be buy any further updates/upgrades until I replace my main rig (which could be a couple of years away)

Your GPU does support DX11, just not the full featureset:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-260.c217

You can also try it now by just switching the setting to DirectX 11 in-game and restarting.

• Like 2

They will have some minor cosmetic bugs to fix (PvP rank badges still not displaying correctly) ... but other than that ... it really runs more smooth on DX11 compared to DX9 and the graphics cards are not that important.

I would be more worried if the required  something later than Win 7 cause I can't seemyself installing a new OS. I always manually configure every detail and I'm happy with running the same system for pretty long - if possible. And not really playing other games. (So not planning to buy a full new computer that then probably would be with a newer OS.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

12 minutes ago, Stadsport.8714 said:

Your GPU does support DX11, just not the full featureset:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-260.c217

You can also try it now by just switching the setting to DirectX 11 in-game and restarting.

Thanks, that's good to know and Ill try that out later.
I was going on the info Anet release stating 'Feature Levels” list contains “11_0” or higher' which in theory means they may not support my setup even though I can run DirectX 11+

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think I'm going to bookmark this topic for the next time people elsewhere on the internet start complaining that consoles are holding back gaming because they "only" bring out new hardware every 5 years or so and it can take a year or two for significant numbers of people to buy them. For some reason there's this on-going assumption that because the best possible PCs are usually a couple of steps ahead of the best available consoles that means all PC gamers are always using better hardware than all console gamers. Meanwhile PC gamers are worrying their machines may not be compatible with software that came out over a decade ago.

Having read through a lot of the comments on Facebook from people who think they'll be affected by this (which unsurprisingly went into more detail than Twitter) I suspect the bigger problem is lack of knowledge and confidence to find out on the part of the user. A lot of people were worrying their PC won't be able to run it or assuming it wouldn't because they know it's 'old' but have no idea what the specs are and don't realise how old DX11 is. but when someone told them how to check they found out it's fine (and usually can run DX12 as well). There were several people saying they'd have to give up on GW2 and go back to WoW since their PC can run that, only to be told WoW has required DX11 for several years now so if they can run it they'll be able to run GW2 as well.

It's possible some people simply won't try to log in after the update, even though they actually could run the game, because they just assume it won't work.

Lack of knowledge indeed ... GW2 GPU minimum requirements was "NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT". The nvidia card there already supports dx 11.1 while the upcoming change only requires 11.0 so anyone who met the original requirements and using nvidia GPU(which should be most people considering their market share) have had the hardware for this change as much as 15 years ago.

Just found out there is https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

Which translates dx 1-11 to OpenGL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

" You, Peasant, You're too POOR for entertainment, Go Away " 

My guy, if you can afford a PC with specs comparable to what was an average PC 10 years ago then you can play this game.

So yes unfortunately you may be too poor to play this or any other game. Personally I just work a job but you do you

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There were several people saying they'd have to give up on GW2 and go back to WoW since their PC can run that, only to be told WoW has required DX11 for several years now so if they can run it they'll be able to run GW2 as well.

Just checked the requirements and it's now at DirectX 12 minimum. No idea when they changed it, the sub-model has never been my cup of tea.

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/76459

• Like 3

Some people in this thread seems to hold belief that Dx9 version of the game was stable and never crashed. Spoiler alert, no it was not. I have had GW2 in it's DX9 edition crash ALOT over the last decade in all the kinds of funny situations. And for me personally, DX11 edition has been crashing considerably less. I can see that some people may have experienced more crashes during the beta development of DX11 renderer, than they used to with DX9 (or they were lucky even to have no crashes in DX9) but to proclaim that DX9 was stable and DX11 is not, is misrepresentation of reality.

Also I gotta love how everytime any game abandons support for something ancient, there is always this thread going "you will loose alot of players over it!"

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Some people in this thread seems to hold belief that Dx9 version of the game was stable and never crashed. Spoiler alert, no it was not. I have had GW2 in it's DX9 edition crash ALOT over the last decade in all the kinds of funny situations. And for me personally, DX11 edition has been crashing considerably less. I can see that some people may have experienced more crashes during the beta development of DX11 renderer, than they used to with DX9 (or they were lucky even to have no crashes in DX9) but to proclaim that DX9 was stable and DX11 is not, is misrepresentation of reality.

Also I gotta love how everytime any game abandons support for something ancient, there is always this thread going "you will loose alot of players over it!"

Your experience is not the same as mine, no crashes while using DX9, more than one crash per day with DX11 (tried during beta, tried when it was enabled by default for new accounts, being trying it since yesterday and I have no difference in behavior, still crashes randomly).

So who's to say one version is stable and the other is not? I don't know, from my perspective the version that is one year old is not stable, but maybe from yours, the version running from 10 years is not stable and the brand new one is stable.

Nevertheless, DX11 crashes every day for some people and raising the point does not seem invalid to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Colin.4568 said:

Your experience is not the same as mine, no crashes while using DX9, more than one crash per day with DX11 (tried during beta, tried when it was enabled by default for new accounts, being trying it since yesterday and I have no difference in behavior, still crashes randomly).

So who's to say one version is stable and the other is not? I don't know, from my perspective the version that is one year old is not stable, but maybe from yours, the version running from 10 years is not stable and the brand new one is stable.

Nevertheless, DX11 crashes every day for some people and raising the point does not seem invalid to me.

Have you cleared your shader cache and updated your drivers? I am quite curious what you are running.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deadly Moth.5687 said:

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can run GW2 at near max settings on the machine you claim to have, and furthermore there is no GTX260 with 4GB of VRAM, so I have doubts you accurately know what your machine even is (there is no 200 series card with 4GB of VRAM).

And having DirectX 12 is meaningless, the feature level is what actually matters.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I think it depends on your PC. On my old one the game almost never crashed with DX9, so from my perspective it was very stable. When I tried DX11 it was crashing at least once an hour, usually when there were a lot of people on screen (which annoyingly meant it mainly crashed at key moments in WvW) but sometimes when loading cut scenes, or going between maps or seemingly for no reason at all. I had to disable it to actually play, but would re-enable it periodically to see if it was any better and it always crashed within an hour or so, often multiple times.

That stopped when I got my new PC, I've been running the game on this one with DX11 enabled and haven't had any problems. I can't say if I've noticed any improvements because every part of the PC is an upgrade, so it's hard to know what's down to better hardware rather than DX11.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Colin.4568 said:

Most people can run DX11, that's not the issue. The issue lies with Dx11 crashing while DX9 doesnt. Forcing a crashing version of the game is what we are complaining about. Also the title is saying that it is a good thing to move forward. We are only saying that they need to iron out the DX11 implementation before removing the stable version of the game.

This is the biggest issue, IMO. They haven't gotten it to be completely stable yet and are now giving themselves (and players) a deadline to get it stable. A deadline that could result in rushed work to meet it or it gets pushed back, and you really don't want the former to happen to a game engine. If they need to rip out the DX9 code to see if it's stable, that's what PTRs are for, not live games.

Also after the fiasco of them pushing post-processing on everyone without the option to disable it, there's no good will left for changes to graphics or the engine where players are forced into it because Anet removed the option to opt-out because it wasn't seen as a big deal to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 1/6/2023 at 2:11 AM, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

But there are a lot of people who won't be able to

Then let those people who won't be able to run it speak for themselves, [even though they can upgrade for pretty cheap nowadays].

This is outrage for the sake of outrage. Christ.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Colin.4568 said:

You're acting like DX11 is a new thing in general, when it's just new to this game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, FriendlyFire.6275 said:

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can run GW2 at near max settings on the machine you claim to have, and furthermore there is no GTX260 with 4GB of VRAM, so I have doubts you accurately know what your machine even is (there is no 200 series card with 4GB of VRAM).

And having DirectX 12 is meaningless, the feature level is what actually matters.

What I hadn't taken into account was the 4GBs was total memory (1758MBs VRAM and 2303MBs shared) and I did misspeak to say near max settings (although it is possible for me run using the "best performance" default I do only get approx. 13FPS, where as I normally run with a mix of high and medium to get a playable framerate).

Regardless the point still stands I will likely be effected by these changes (even though this setup currently works well for me). The game will not load when DX9 rending is turned off (as you say; it appears to be the feature level which is the key factor) and therefore I will likely not beable to play as often or be spending as much money (until I do finally upgrade).

I completely understand the need for ANET to make this change to both enhance and support the game, its just a shame I (for me) that I'm negatively affected by it

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just an FYI, if you're getting DX11 crashes and your card is new enough for Vulkan (2016-2017+ or so),  you can run the game on DXVK even on Windows and bypass DirectX on hardware completely.

Keep in mind that DirectX is trash in general, and the devs aren't miracle workers.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Thanks 3

Gotta have an omega old PC to have a problem with this, mine is super old and i have no issues, it's a FX 4300 (worst CPU ever created in the story of mankind, probably the reason why Aliens stopped visiting Earth, lel) with 8gb Ram DDR3 and a GTX 650, no SSD, and the game runs fine for the most part, i have to play on the lowest settings of course (still at 1080p), and depending on the content it goes down to 20-30 FPS (huge zergs, some fractals, certain open world events), but everywhere else the game runs perfectly fine, and i also have no crashes, blue screens, memory leaks, etc.

Edited by Brandon Uzumaki.1524
  • Like 2