About the raised system requirements for Linux users.

Just a PSA for those playing Guild Wars 2 on linux, or the ones that are considering doing so.

On linux, you will need a Vulkan capable graphics card.
You can check if your card supports Vulkan here:
http://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/

Vulkan came out in 2016, so you'll need a "newer" card than 2009-2015 when DX11 came out to play Guild Wars 2. So linux requirements went up more than Windows ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ellon.4316 said:

I thought wine d3d can translate directx11 to OpenGL (don’t know how well it will run or if it is still updated). So a 2010 gpu should still be enough to run on Linux. For the fps dxvk (vulkan) is still preferred. 

I think it can, but YMMV pretty much. Also, Steam version doesn't run on wine d3d, Proton uses Vulkan.

And since Steam version is (at least currently) the only stable one, for both Steam and Anet users, Lutris version breaks a lot, then it affects everyone on linux more or less.

Especially people new to it. It's easier to just tell someone to install it from Steam, copypaste a line or two into launch options if they bought it from Anet directly, and it just works rather than - explain they need Lutris, what it is, then the install script is broken and they need to change some lines in there before they download it, and then run the script via Lutris, and then the launcher crashes, then troubleshoot what's happening....

That was my experience lately with Lutris version. On Steam now, no issues, runs beautiful! 

Just in case someone get’s here with googling how to run GW2 on Linux and want to know what their options are.

Non-steam users could also try bottles for running GW2 (https://usebottles.com/ link because googling “wine bottles” wont find this software). Changing the runner to “wine-ge” and dropping the gw2.exe was enough for me to get things running stable.

13 minutes ago, Ellon.4316 said:

Just in case someone get’s here with googling how to run GW2 on Linux and want to know what their options are.

Non-steam users could also try bottles for running GW2 (https://usebottles.com/ link because googling “wine bottles” wont find this software). Changing the runner to “wine-ge” and dropping the gw2.exe was enough for me to get things running stable.

GW2 runs in bottles? Nice lol. Didn't know that.

29 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I think there is an environment variable you can set to make proton use wined3d instead but that will probably come with performance penalties

As for wine3d, you'd only need to use that if your GPU doesn't support Vulkan, meaning pre2016 GPU. And those would already have really bad performance, and if wine3d is then worse performance... Idk how viable it would be.

For reference, last time i tried GW2 with DXVK (so, Vulkan capable GPU, but an old one), and it ran really badly even on low. So, any less performance idk how playable it will be.

That said - it IS an option, yes, so of course should be included.