Why are EoD maps so dead already?

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Of course, most of the EoD sales happened before people had a chance to actually see the expansion, so it doesn't really tell us all that much.

Well, that comment was more aimed at the reasoning of no one is there because not many bought the game. Which is false by its very nature because the numbers say otherwise. As for the actual no one being on the maps as much, that has already been discussed here in detail. And as you know from the other post, I am generally not a fan of the meta design they did with the maps, but I am a fan of mostly everything else they did with the expansion. Mainly the new elites, but that is good enough to get a pass from me.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, Asum.4960 said:

Although I guess that does answer the OP's question after all - you are not playing along with the timer Meta Map culture, and the megaserver system simply doesn't manage to cater to just "doing stuff on maps". 

There are a few completely overfilled instances which players ferry each other into with the single purpose of doing the meta, and the rest is a wastelands of left over spun up instances that people get thrown into and ferried out of, making the game feel dead for anyone not participating in that/left behind.

Very good post and very good point. As someone who hasn't got to EOD yet I wasn't aware of the real issue here but it seems you and some of the later replies got the key issue.

I certainly like the way on Core you can be following random events then get caught up in a world boss and succeed the boss fight. But at the same time I find it a little bit boring that success is so guaranteed, so bosses where there is a risk of failure (eg Triple Trouble) have an extra element of risk which makes them more exciting. I'm assuming that the EOD bosses people are talking about here are similar but much more so (ie much higher risk of failure).

The flip side of that is that naturally people want to succeed in beating the bosses so human nature is to stack the odds, get more organised with more people in advance. Which naturally leads to scenarios where those who want to get organised to win the boss all end up on a few maps which win while other players playing more organically who run into the events somewhat by chance can't get enough people to join in to have a chance of winning.

I don't have any solutions here! But I can also see that there should be SOME world bosses which are hard enough to require good play with a decent number of participants. There are conflicting design goals at play here and my hat's off to anyone who can think of a good solution...

(Increasing the map player limit seems like it should help, but I fear it wouldn't and actually would mean the organised meta players manage to squeeze themselves onto even fewer maps with bigger groups on each map meaning an even tighter version of the same problem).

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

For the people spaming the "passive-aggresive" emojis that performance is not an issue with EoD maps. Just go do a meta in EoD and other map and you will see the difference in FPS. But you dont even need to do that, just to into New Kaineng in the hall where the last boss appear and look back to the water and the building behind and youll see the lag, go into the strike mission of kaineng and look back and see the lag, go into seitung bell zone go into the water and out and youll see the lag.

You dont even need tons of people/npcs for EoD maps to lag in quite someplaces, its even more noticable when theres a meta, but regarding performance i would rather do any other meta than metas in eod just cos the performance.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Very good post and very good point. As someone who hasn't got to EOD yet I wasn't aware of the real issue here but it seems you and some of the later replies got the key issue.

I certainly like the way on Core you can be following random events then get caught up in a world boss and succeed the boss fight. But at the same time I find it a little bit boring that success is so guaranteed, so bosses where there is a risk of failure (eg Triple Trouble) have an extra element of risk which makes them more exciting. I'm assuming that the EOD bosses people are talking about here are similar but much more so (ie much higher risk of failure).

The flip side of that is that naturally people want to succeed in beating the bosses so human nature is to stack the odds, get more organised with more people in advance. Which naturally leads to scenarios where those who want to get organised to win the boss all end up on a few maps which win while other players playing more organically who run into the events somewhat by chance can't get enough people to join in to have a chance of winning.

I don't have any solutions here! But I can also see that there should be SOME world bosses which are hard enough to require good play with a decent number of participants. There are conflicting design goals at play here and my hat's off to anyone who can think of a good solution...

(Increasing the map player limit seems like it should help, but I fear it wouldn't and actually would mean the organised meta players manage to squeeze themselves onto even fewer maps with bigger groups on each map meaning an even tighter version of the same problem).

It's just the design of the DE meta.  Players gain a massive damage bonus if they do 10 or more events before the boss fight and there are additional bonuses for having all areas of the map prepared ahead of time.  If you were to just show up and fill the map last second you'd be at a huge disadvantage. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:16 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

EoD maps were atrocious. Yes, the Meta events exist, and without considering those meta events are ‘good or bad’ what is there other than them to do?

The only reason to go to an EoD map is Story, Achievements, Metas. No farming Bounties or attempting Adventures. No need for HP trains. No interesting side events worth stopping to do. There isn’t even much in the way of farming opportunities outside of fishing even.  This content is missing or could be improved upon to give players many more reasons to go to Cantha. 

What we are waiting for really is Anet to start adding more content that asks us to go to Cantha. Think about how Skyscale made you go through many different regions and zones. It might be years before there is enough ‘new’ reasons to go to Cantha to keep the regions interesting. Or it may never happen. Probably the latter.

EoD is already dead content. Sure waste your time waiting to run a meta, but other than that why bother being in those zones?

By comparison, you can find multiple TD and AB metas to join even after the events start.  Something you would hope was possible with the newest content released. 

I agree.

There is very little if not zero small group content in EoD that is worth playing beyond the first time per character. There aren't even rare exotic weapon skins tied to specific content to desire farming. EoD long term is entirely designed for crafting legendary weapons, that you don't even need to play. You can just purchase from someone else.

The Hot metas are easily playable by the majority audience with great rewards. PoF metas are easily playable, but have no rewards. EoD metas are intentionally designed to conflict with the casual audience, with only one reward in a meta that they don't have enough free time to gamble with. A meta that really should have been a squad instance raid and OW toned down to be in line with Dragon's Stand and Dragonfall.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I can only speak for myself, but I would bet what I list below echoes with others.

First, the DE meta left a bitter taste in my mouth, making me want to avoid that zone forever more, unless I absolutely need something there.

Second, both the New Kaineng City and Echovald Wilds' metas require very annoying navigation over large distances. Not my cup of tea.

Third, New Kaineng City feels like a ghost town, and not in a good way.

Fourth, completing the maps and farming the mastery points was so easy, I can check done and gone in very little time. I feel an overcorrection took place there: from endless IBS grind to Speedy Gonzalez EoD rewards.

Fifth, I have no reason to farm for third generation legendaries. They just don't appeal to me aesthetically.

Sixth, the original GW Factions campaign was gripping and it felt to me so authentic as a Far East adaptation. By comparison, EoD feels too much like a candy cane wonderland.

Seventh, Season 1 release took my mind somewhere else. Now that it is done, there are so many more things I enjoy and want to progress through that Cantha is a poor contender.

In conclusion, I wish that had ended IBS properly rather than divert resources to a new expansion. I feel both suffered from the rushed reallocation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:
  1. There is very little if not zero small group content in EoD that is worth playing beyond the first time per character.
  2. There aren't even rare exotic weapon skins tied to specific content to desire farming. EoD long term is entirely designed for crafting legendary weapons, that you don't even need to play. You can just purchase from someone else.
  3. The Hot metas are easily playable by the majority audience with great rewards.
  1. What kind of small group contents are you talking about that other maps have that EoD doesn't? Events? Yes, EoD has those. Champs? Yep. Some events scale up to spawn event boss from Elites to Champs. Dragon's End, especially, will spawn Champs at many of the events. Worth playing? Yes, again. The small event rewards are as good or much better than on other maps.
  2. Have you actually play the Xpac? There are tons of exotics available that certain events will drop. End of Dragons weapons. And lots of armors as well: End of Dragons armor.
  3. Aside from DE meta, all the other EoD metas are easily playable by the majority audience. And they all offer better rewards than any HoT metas. Try it and compare the value since that's just my word here. Of course, you can check sites such as Fast-Farming.

You probably haven't really played the Xpac and are just echoing what some of what the haters has said because you seemed to be particularly misinformed.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4