4 improvements the game absolutely needs

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Snails.7963 said:

Some of you are hilarious.  Person posts a few things they want, a lot of it having to do with the UI.  People here act like they suggested night elves, open world PvP, air planes, monster truck races, and having a house where you raise a family and have a job.   Then they toss out the "Don't try to make GW2 like other games. Looks like the game isn't for you" stuff.    LOL

My guess is the one that triggered the "game not for you" stuff mostly was the inspect suggestion.  I don't really care about that either but I know how ultra sensitive people around here get when the very thought of it is mentioned.   That and the OP made the critical mistake of saying "in WoW".  That alone triggers a panic response in many people because as we all know if WoW does something GW2 doesn't then it is by default a horrible, horrible thing to even want in GW2 and suggesting it is trying to make all of GW2 exactly like WoW.    😀

I'd would like the 1st 3 suggestions.  I don't really care either way about the last one. 

What's hilarious is you saying that a lot of the OP's suggestions have to the with the UI .... when only the first one does.  🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What's hilarious is you saying that a lot of the OP's suggestions have to the with the UI .... when only the first one does.  🙄

So being able to change skill slots, number 2, is not part of the UI?   Okay I disagree.  Someone linked this thread the other day and I saw your post in it. So the quote below  and your behavior I've seen here in other threads tells me enough about  where you stand.   😄 😄

For someone that doesn't want to discuss what some people feel the game needs you sure get involved in a lot of suggestion threads and posts.   😄 😄

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

32 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, changing skill slots is a mechanical change, not a UI change.

And taking an almost 2 year old post out of context doesn't do much to help your argument.

Again disagree skills slots are part of the UI and thus being able to change them is part of a UI change.  From the wiki:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill

Mousing over a skill icon in the user interface reveals a tool tip that describes what the skill does when it is activated.

And when you click the "user interface" link it takes you here where it specifically mentions the skill bar as part of the user interface or as they call it graphical user interface.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

So again IMO being able to change skills slots is and also supported by whats presented in the wiki as part of the UI.  And yes I think a post on how you feel about suggestions is very relevant to the way you react in suggestion threads.

But anyway my initial post was more of a commentary on how people behave to suggestions here and how they reacted to the OP's.  I feel the OPs suggestions wouldn't make this game significantly like other games, even the inspect feature.  I also think people should want players that suggest what they think are improvements even if they disagree with the suggestion.   So telling people go play other games or game isn't for them is weird.  There are things I think GW2 could use or even I think needs.  That doesn't mean the game isn't for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

The UI is the user interface.  Moving elements around in the UI doesn't mechanically change anything.  Moving skill/utility slots directly affects the input of those slots which is why I find them to be a mechanical change and not simply a window dressing alteration.

I'm not a coder, so I guess we'll just have to disagree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

38 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The UI is the user interface.  Moving elements around in the UI doesn't mechanically change anything.  Moving skill/utility slots directly affects the input of those slots which is why I find them to be a mechanical change and not simply a window dressing alteration.

I'm not a coder, so I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Yeah I guess we will have to disagree.  I mean there are mechanical aspects to the UI but the skill bar and use of it is still part of the UI.  The UI isn't restricted to appearance and window dressing but also functionality.  Again from the wiki:

The graphical user interface (GUI) is the interface displayed on top of the player's view of the world. The interface features overlay information, head-up display (HUD) elements (such as the skill bar), and movable panels. It is primarily mouse-driven, but certain functions may be assigned keyboard shortcuts (some of which are bound by default).

We have already established that the skill bar is part of the UI, at least according to the wiki.  Here is a dictionary definition of UI:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/user interface

: software that is designed to allow a computer user to interact with the operating system of a machine or system (such as by selecting presented options or entering text commands)

And a quick Google of "user interface definition" shows this as the search result definition:

the means by which the user and a computer system interact, in particular the use of input devices and software.

So I'd say changing the order of skills in skill slots fits within the definition of being part of the UI.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

I was with you all the way, then I realized that #4 was about gear stats and not appearance.

1. GW1 had this, I don't understand why this isn't a thing for GW2

2. I don't personally feel the need for this, but if it makes things easier for some, why not?

3. I haven't had this issue personally, but it has crossed my mind that it could lead to problems.

4. No, we don't need toxic gear checks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Kyzonu.7504 said:

2 - changing skill slots

This is the one QoL I would prefer over any other possible. I have wanted this for 10 years, I understand it can be hard to tackle due to Thieves skill 3 which is the only real excuse I can see for it not being added to the game.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Ok, I can kinda get on board with #1, but after 10 years I don't think it is desperately needed.

#2 would probably be a programming nightmare for little gain.  Skills/Utility slots were developed in the current manner for a reason.   I'd prefer resources be spent elsewhere.

You may be misunderstanding what is being asked here.

We can create skill slot keybinds already. What OP seems to be asking is to make those keybinds character specific, instead of account specific. I don't know why OP limits that suggestion only to skill slot keybinds though - what would be far better (and highly desirable) would be to have a character specific keybind option for all keybinds (so, one default, for whole account, and character specific ones that can override that).

(unless OP is also asking for the ability to change order of skills other than utilities around, in which case i'd consider it part of #1, or a completely separate point than the keybinds one)

This, and #1 i see as a worthwhile addition to the game. #3 not so much. and #4 i'd rather not see implemented.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Snails.7963 said:

Yeah I guess we will have to disagree.  I mean there are mechanical aspects to the UI but the skill bar and use of it is still part of the UI.  The UI isn't restricted to appearance and window dressing but also functionality.  Again from the wiki:

We have already established that the skill bar is part of the UI, at least according to the wiki.  Here is a dictionary definition of UI:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/user interface

And a quick Google of "user interface definition" shows this as the search result definition:

So I'd say changing the order of skills in skill slots fits within the definition of being part of the UI.

Well it is good we can already do this want your skill 2 on nr 5 rebind skill 2 to 5 done.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

1 - the ability to move and resize UI elements

i like having my skill bar close to the middle of the screen (right under my character) so i can track my cooldowns without having to look all the way down. FF14 and WoW both give the player a lot of freedom to customize their UI, even lord of the rings online has a fully customizable UI (and that game came out in 2007) 

2 - changing skill slots/character specific keybinds

it baffles me that the game even launch without these features, and it's downright absurd that at least one of them wasn't implemented over the past 10 years

3 - LFG not being instant-join

too many times have i had the experience of putting a group up looking for a healer, someone who wasn't a healer joining and refusing to switch character/build, then having to kick them and relist the group. in WoW, when a person tries to join your lfg, they only get added to the group if you accept their request, that way, if you're looking for a hunter and warrior tries to join you can simply not accept them or refuse their request, which spares you from wasting time kicking people and relisting the group.

bonus point for being able to see if the person requesting to join has already cleared the content. like putting a little checkmark next to their name.

4 - ability to inspect people's gear and build

this ties into the pains of pugs as well. how many times do people join as dps when they're wearing soldier gear and using random traits with all signets as their utilities. and asking every single person who joins to link every single item they're wearing as well as linking their build on chat is a ludicrous work-around that no one with an ounce of self-respect should put themselves through.

1 and 2 I wouldnt mind but are certainly not needed. 3 and 4 are both elements that I dislike. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well it is good we can already do this want your skill 2 on nr 5 rebind skill 2 to 5 done.

Yes I'm aware of how keybinds work, which are also part of the UI.  🙂    But also I didn't suggest it and I'm guessing you didn't read the suggestion we are talking about or maybe didn't understand it the same as me because that isn't simply what I believe the OP is talking about.  Again here is the suggestion from the OP.

2 - changing skill slots/character specific keybinds

it baffles me that the game even launch without these features, and it's downright absurd that at least one of them wasn't implemented over the past 10 years

So what I believe they are suggesting is the ability to move skills around skills slots and or having skill keybinds specific to the character instead of account wide.  For example if what I believe  the OP means is true the first option would allow the player to rearrange skills in skill bar per character while keybinds for that slot reminded the same or whatever the player set them to.  The 2nd option of course means skill keybinds, which you referenced, can be different per character instead of affecting the entire account.   They both do the same things but in different ways.  The second option I feel would be the cleaner way to do it, the option for character specific keybinds, but who knows?  

Anyway i don't think the OP's suggestion is bad.  Many times I have thought it would be nice to be able to move skills around in the skill bar or have character specific keybinds while playing different professions.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

- ability to inspect people's gear and build

this ties into the pains of pugs as well. how many times do people join as dps when they're wearing soldier gear and using random traits with all signets as their utilities. and asking every single person who joins to link every single item they're wearing as well as linking their build on chat is a ludicrous work-around that no one with an ounce of self-respect should put themselves through.

No, no one should be able to see other people's gear/build.  Want to see people's wallets too? It should be a choice, always a choice if someone wants to share their gear/build.

Edited by HeIIica.2945
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

allow the player to rearrange skills in skill bar per character while keybinds for that slot reminded the same or whatever the player set them to. 

This is... already the case? For instance if you didn't remap the 3 utility skills away from the default 7/8/9, you can just... put different skills in those slots... and the same keys 7/8/9 activate different skills on different characters. I feel like I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here, because on it's face what you're talking about seems way too obvious.

skill keybinds, which you referenced, can be different per character instead of affecting the entire account.

I think it's pretty clear this is what OP wants, at least to me. I wouldn't mind the ability to do that, so long as my current account-wide keybinds aren't messed with.

Many times I have thought it would be nice to be able to move skills around in the skill bar

Again I'm confused. I'm not going to set out a hypothetical example right now because... frankly it would sound like I'm talking down to you, with the utter simplicity of it. That is not my intention, I am truly confused.

Are you talking about maybe being able to move the healing or elite skill into one of the 3 middle utility slots?

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

This is... already the case? For instance if you didn't remap the 3 utility skills away from the default 7/8/9, you can just... put different skills in those slots... and the same keys 7/8/9 activate different skills on different characters. I feel like I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here, because on it's face what you're talking about seems way too obvious.

I think it's pretty clear this is what OP wants, at least to me. I wouldn't mind the ability to do that, so long as my current account-wide keybinds aren't messed with.

Again I'm confused. I'm not going to set out a hypothetical example right now because... frankly it would sound like I'm talking down to you, with the utter simplicity of it. That is not my intention, I am truly confused.

Are you talking about maybe being able to move the healing or elite skill into one of the 3 middle utility slots?

I think what the OP is suggesting and also what I am referring to is not simply the utility skills 7-9 which can be changed but also skills 1-5 which are locked into the slots.  So for example moving  great sword skill 1 on a warrior which is in the first slot to the 3rd slot thus using whatever key is bound to slot 3 but on say on their reaper leaving skill 1 in the skill one slot.   But perhaps they also mean the heal, elite skills and function skills.  Again the simpler way in my opinion would be character specific skill keybinds option.  I can really only see the move the skill thing per character instead of the skill keybind per character more useful for people that skill click.  Options for both I guess would appeal to more people but one or the other could also be helpful.

And of course I agree it should be optional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I do like all of these ideas.

1 & 2 seem entirely possible and probable.
3 is iffy and would require an overhaul of how groups work, but is possible.
4 is definitely something I'd love to see, but won't ever because people would rather live in ignorance and theorize about how toxic people are when, at worst, this gets them removed from groups they wouldn't normally be part of and, at best, helps people figure out what's going on with their custom build when it's under performing a role.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We don't have to theorize. Gear inspect in Arc and BGDM was a thing at some point. And i don't have any fond memories about it from that time.

Gear inspect can be opt-in, if you want to hide your super duper pro builds from the hoi polloi.

I'd wager that inability to check suitability *in any way* is a greater barrier to accepting people into PUGs, and that it dwarfs any potential """"toxicity"""" added by gear check, opt-in or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

27 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Gear inspect can be opt-in, if you want to hide your super duper pro builds from the hoi polloi.

I'd wager that inability to check suitability *in any way* is a greater barrier to accepting people into PUGs, and that it dwarfs any potential """"toxicity"""" added by gear check, opt-in or not.

Gear is quite insignificant compared to ability to execute. A bad player with perfect gear and build will still perform a lot worse than a good player in subpar equipment and build. If gear inspect was a real issue, don't you think commanders would demand people ping their build and gear when people join? And yet all that's (usually) asked for is kill proofs (which demonstrates experience).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Zohane.7208 said:

Gear is quite insignificant compared to ability to execute. A bad player with perfect gear and build will still perform a lot worse than a good player in subpar equipment and build. 

It is absolutely indicative. The correlation between bad gear and bad ability is very close. You will not see good, capable players claim DPS spots on a Soldier/Valkyrie Scourge with a staff/dagger+dagger build. 

Kill proofs are more toxic, because it blocks those that want to learn and can, and funnels in only those that already have. No matter how you slice it, a "this guy could do it" filter is more inclusive than "this guy has done it".

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Kill proofs are more toxic, because it blocks those that want to learn and can, and funnels in only those that already have. No matter how you slice it, a "this guy could do it" filter is more inclusive than "this guy has done it".

Yes. Notice, that "more inclusive filters" is exactly what people filtering stuff do not want. "More inclusive filters" means more chances to get good players, but also more chances to get bad ones - and avoiding the latter is the primary reason why filters even exist. If few good players get filtered out as a collateral, that's a price those doing the filtering are fine with, if it helps them avoid getting someone they'd rather not have in their group.

• Confused 1

FURTHERMORE, it really needs to be repeated how absolutely unfitting the "share your current build" tools are in this game. Can't share an equipment tab, let alone it's active/inactive status; need to ping each piece of gear individually. Can ping a skill/trait build, but only about two thirds of it, because naturally weapons are entirely irrelevant. So *naturally* people went for the thing that's easier to ping, imperfect as it may be.