4 improvements the game absolutely needs

16 hours ago, zengara.8301 said:

3: LFG has always been a problem tbh, most people would have loved just an instant join thing, way back to dungeon days, first year of the game. Instead of "every character have to be full dps" Which was boring. LFG is a good tool for high level play, but for just joining randoms with a chill run, it is pretty bad. And most likely pushed the skill level of this game insanely quickly up in PvE and probably WvW/PvP as well.

Wanting chill dungeon runs is exactly why I prefer the system we have now. In Elder Scrolls Online the only option using the grouping tool is to be dumped into a party with the first 3 people to queue around the same time you did, there's no option to specify how you want to do it (other than choosing your role) or to speak to the group before starting to coordinate. So if one person rushes off to storm through the dungeon because apparently they don't actually like doing them and want to get out again as fast as possible the only options available to the rest of the group are to do the same and try to keep up, miss out on most of the dungeon because it's already been cleared and they'll be teleported ahead if they fall too far behind or leave and try queuing again, with a high probability that exactly the same thing will happen in the next group.

If you want to do anything except rush through as fast as possible you can't use the grouping tool and are stuck spamming map or guild chat and hoping there's enough interested people in that tiny minority of players instead of being able to post a message everyone can see.

Whereas in GW2 players can specify not only what they want to do and any requirements for people joining the group but how they want to do it - they can say if they want to watch cut scenes in a dungeon for example and then people who don't want to do that can avoid joining the group and pick one which suits them (or start their own).

Of course if we had both the people wanting to get in and out as fast as possible could use the automated queue to get dumped into a group, rush the dungeon and then leave and people who want to do anything else could continue to use the tool we have now, but since they can also use the tool we have now I don't see the benefit in adding another one.

• Like 3

Think game needs to simplify dps.

Maybe have dps hint on or off button.

If its on, basically the game helps you with your dps rotations.

So basically game will be saying use skill 4, skill 2 now!!!! swap!!! skill 3!!! 4 5 real quick!!!

I'm saying this because content is dps check, you have people who get left to dust because they like 13k dps and others who do like 36k thats a big gap.

Some people just suck and need hints. At end of day, those good players are looking for players who can keep up. Everyone wins in this game when they accomplish something, its not a fight over loot system. So if everyone could keep up with dps in end game content like raids, everyone gonna win. It's not fun waiting for that one or two people you know that can do 36k dps to login and become available. Be more fun if everyone could keep up and do it.

So everyone can do the content, worry about the raid mechanics than are we meeting the dps check of it.

Should not have someone not raid because "I suck at dps and don't know how to do other rotations alac/healer/etc"

"I would raid but I suck really bad at rotations" shouldn't be a thing. "yes mechanics moving out of way and such easy, but rotations I suck" should not be a thing.

Thats why dps hint. Game finds the best rotation for you or tells you to use template and that template gives you hints to reach that 36k dps threshold to be a valued member in the content your doing that is big dps check (many raids some fracs)

• Confused 6

On 1/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Think game needs to simplify dps.

Maybe have dps hint on or off button.

If its on, basically the game helps you with your dps rotations.

So basically game will be saying use skill 4, skill 2 now!!!! swap!!! skill 3!!! 4 5 real quick!!!

I'm saying this because content is dps check, you have people who get left to dust because they like 13k dps and others who do like 36k thats a big gap.

Some people just suck and need hints. At end of day, those good players are looking for players who can keep up. Everyone wins in this game when they accomplish something, its not a fight over loot system. So if everyone could keep up with dps in end game content like raids, everyone gonna win. It's not fun waiting for that one or two people you know that can do 36k dps to login and become available. Be more fun if everyone could keep up and do it.

So everyone can do the content, worry about the raid mechanics than are we meeting the dps check of it.

Should not have someone not raid because "I suck at dps and don't know how to do other rotations alac/healer/etc"

"I would raid but I suck really bad at rotations" shouldn't be a thing. "yes mechanics moving out of way and such easy, but rotations I suck" should not be a thing.

Thats why dps hint. Game finds the best rotation for you or tells you to use template and that template gives you hints to reach that 36k dps threshold to be a valued member in the content your doing that is big dps check (many raids some fracs)

Anet doesn't really come up with rotations, you might as well print a rotation you want and follow it. 😄 Not that you really strict rotations in order to deal ok-ish damage.

Overally it looks like a weird idea to me and I don't like it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

On 1/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

3 - LFG not being instant-join

too many times have i had the experience of putting a group up looking for a healer, someone who wasn't a healer joining and refusing to switch character/build, then having to kick them and relist the group. in WoW, when a person tries to join your lfg, they only get added to the group if you accept their request, that way, if you're looking for a hunter and warrior tries to join you can simply not accept them or refuse their request, which spares you from wasting time kicking people and relisting the group.

bonus point for being able to see if the person requesting to join has already cleared the content. like putting a little checkmark next to their name.

4 - ability to inspect people's gear and build

this ties into the pains of pugs as well. how many times do people join as dps when they're wearing soldier gear and using random traits with all signets as their utilities. and asking every single person who joins to link every single item they're wearing as well as linking their build on chat is a ludicrous work-around that no one with an ounce of self-respect should put themselves through.

Sadly 3 and 4 are intentional dev designs due to "toxicity" but have created more "toxicity" due to their design.

It'd be nice of we had a modern MMO group finder since they've  turned this game into a worse version of a  holy trinity game.

The replies to this thread are pretty funny. You can tell the majority(all?) posters here are just extreme casuals, but that's the player base Anet wants.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

7 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Sadly 3 and 4 are intentional dev designs due to "toxicity" but have created more "toxicity" due to their design.

It'd be nice of we had a modern MMO group finder since they've  turned this game into a worse version of a  holy trinity game.

The replies to this thread are pretty funny. You can tell the majority(all?) posters here are just extreme casuals, but that's the player base Anet wants.

Why don’t you go play one of these games then? All you do here is cry and complain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, vares.8457 said:

Why don’t you go play one of these games then? All you do here is cry and complain. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:57 PM, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

I think you should go back to ff and wow. This game is not for you.  

Wildstar players said this - that game can no longer be played because it shut down due to lack of players.

You do not want to tell people to NOT play your MMO, or our MMO might stop being there.

I'm not sure why you want to have less people playing your MMO with you, that's really bad.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

I'm not sure why you want to have less people playing your MMO with you, that's really bad.

It depends on the people. Would it be bad if people like you who are constantly crying and complaining how bad the game is leave the game? 
I mean why play the game if you complain about it in every post? Isn’t that sad? 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

What an absolutely shifted take.
My dude.
How do you just speed past "I don't want to carry this random person", dash on over to "I want to be carried by this random person", and conclude that one is more likely!?
How positively self-centered do you have to be to think that your habit and view of statics and pugs and gaming is the right, dominant one?

Sheesh.

Because that's my take on the situation, based on my own personal experience across the genre.  Just as you believe that you must be able to do these things to ensure a "good" party, despite the fact that this content has been run repeatedly since it's introduction w/out it.

Just to reiterate a point here, but the DPS sage I cited earlier would have been welcomed into your group with open arms, because they had all the right gear.  They obviously didn't have all the right skills, but they had the gear.

22 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Wildstar players said this - that game can no longer be played because it shut down due to lack of players.

You do not want to tell people to NOT play your MMO, or our MMO might stop being there.

It seems to me that there were other problems with Wildstar than "if you don't like it, leave"...  So much so that people like me, that never even touched it, know that it had those problems, even if I can't remember what they were.  People that don't like something and leave do less damage to a game than people that don't like it and stay and cry 24/7 365.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1. I dont mind. But it was in gw1. Where I did change my UI to help me support other players better when playing a monk. So this could be helpfull. 

2. A big yes to this one. Especially since the profession and elite spec mechanics are really different both in UI and which keys they use. I always hate it to change my mouse button layout just to play better with a certain character. 

3. No, as stated before almost every profession can play any role. You can easily swap within seconds. So this would only block out players more easily. Which i am no fan of. 

4. A big no for me. A player could be a better players with certain builds he knows, than being forced into gear and builds they are not used to. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, Freya.9075 said:

I guess part of this is because it's been discussed so many times by now. And people are tired of repeating themselves. So a simple no or just dislike the post is all they want to say/do about it.

I understand that, but I meant the comments before, where it just feels like people are kinda try hard commenting on all 4 as being bad. Just because they are bothered by 4, instead of just either commenting that 4 is bad, or leaving a dislike without a comment

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

I understand that, but I meant the comments before, where it just feels like people are kinda try hard commenting on all 4 as being bad. Just because they are bothered by 4, instead of just either commenting that 4 is bad, or leaving a dislike without a comment

Some posts do this yes. But if you look at the first two pages, most of them actually do point out what they like and don’t like about it.

Thing is number 4 is more tied to strong opinions and emotions about how the game is and could be. And that may be why this point comes with more drama than the other points and get focused on more later in the topic. It’s been discussed many times before and often becomes a heated discussion. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Anet doesn't really come up with rotations, you might as well print a rotation you want and follow it. 😄 Not that you really strick rotations in order to deal ok-ish damage.

Overally it looks like a weird idea to me and I don't like it.

Also, look at the skills which deal dmg, figure out which of them deal the most dmg in the least amount of time, check cooldowns.
Press them in order that lets you press them more or less in chain. Tadaaaaa, rotation.

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:32 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

We don't have to theorize. Gear inspect in Arc and BGDM was a thing at some point. And i don't have any fond memories about it from that time.

Friend, nice anecdote.

Here's mine that disproves yours; I never had problems with people inspecting my gear, ever.  Back when that was a thing in ArcDPS and BGDM (It was more a feature in BGDM), I had more  people join my groups (T4 fractals, raids, even dungeons) in gear that was not only random assortment of prefixes but also levels and rarity.  And these people would try to start the encounters before everyone was ready.

Besides that, if you had problems with your gear getting inspected, then it falls under "Groups you wouldn't have normally gotten into to begin with."  You don't bring out the weird builds with people who aren't your friends.  That's like talking about what you search up in a private browser with strangers.

• Confused 2

On 1/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

1,2.  UI customization is nice.  I remember, I think before launch in the betas, that this was not feasible with the way the developers created the GUI.  I forget the specifics, but it seems that they traded the player's ability to customize the UI for a design that they wanted.  At the time, the emphasis was on shifting players away from using the UI at all and focusing on enemy animations. 

Again, I always thing UI customization is a nice thing to have.  I'd personally turn it all off since it's useless to me. 😎

I'd believe that argument if it wasn't for the absurd bloom and particle vomit in every fight when more than 3 players show up.

3.  I like that you can specify exactly what you're looking for in a group rather than relying on an algorithm to (hopefully) ato fill a group.  It allows me to let people know in advance that I'm blind.

Honestly, same.  I can't wait to see something like this feature implemented and it get cut off by the absurdly short text display.

4.  This is a game based on actual player skill, not equipment.  Equipment is meaningless to determine how good a player is.  There's no need for this tool in the game. 

While yes, skill is a bigger indication of performance, to achieve specific numbers or provide specific boons does require specific attributes.  This is also true in some raids where the tank is determined by highest toughness (Or in one case, highest precision).  Being able to effectively diagnose the problem with toughness instead of wiping and then thee com or someone else asking in squad  "Yo, who's got the highest toughness?" and getting about as much response as raids have gotten development in the last couple years is pretty painful.

Edited by Andifulated.3482

On 1/9/2023 at 12:44 AM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

1 - the ability to move and resize UI elements

partially agree on that point, but it is good as it is. could have some tweaks here and there, but nothing that absoultely MUST be addressed.

2 - changing skill slots/character specific keybinds

That you cannot change skill-slots is intentional, and actually makes it way easier, especially when learning a new build, or explaining stuff to other players. because.... the weapon skill in that specific slot, is the same for every player that uses that weapon+class-combination. Also, 1-5 are very easy to reach, no need to re-arrange here. 
Character-Specific keybinds would be nice, but since you can export your settings, just do that....

3 - LFG not being instant-join

that wouldn´t help at all, and would probably just make the community more toxic. The reason being, that just because someone didn´t join on the class that covers what was looked for, that doesnt mean they don´t have it, or didn´t intend to play that class. Many people just join with the character they are on, and then swap after joining. you would just lower your chance to actually get what you looked for

4 - ability to inspect people's gear and build

This was also made intentional, to prevent LFG becoming toxic. There is lots of off-meta-builds out there, that are still able to carry their weight (aka, providing what they are supposed to provide, such as might/alac/quick-uptime and/or a reasonable amount of dps/healing). Some people also adapt the builds they play, because they perform better on an off-meta-build (for example: they get higher dps on a off-meta-build compared to a meta-build they cannot play for whatever reason). 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

While yes, skill is a bigger indication of performance, to achieve specific numbers or provide specific boons does require specific attributes.  This is also true in some raids where the tank is determined by highest toughness (Or in one case, highest precision).  Being able to effectively diagnose the problem with toughness instead of wiping and then thee com or someone else asking in squad  "Yo, who's got the highest toughness?" and getting about as much response as raids have gotten development in the last couple years is pretty painful.

Apart from raids which has a slight wow whiff about it, GW2 just does not need people intrusively checking on each others build.  GW2 has a solid reputation for friendliness and communication and inspection is one of those steps other games have mistakenly taken that has dragged the community towards less communication, or worse fuelled toxin behaviour for some (not all)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

UI overhaul is on the top of my wish list for this game. Especially LFG improvements and resizing and moving different parts or UI. Player, enemy boon/condi/effect table included as it is a total mess and can even get hidden behind mini map. At larger resolutions the boon/condi tables become super small even if you enlarge the whole UI. I also like to have all the player and enemy information close together so I dont need to move my eye constantly all over the screen. But the boon/condi table situation is the most dire.

As for the gear checks. I dont mind them. But I think those are much more useful in gear treadmill games where a certain gear score is mandatory for specific content. Here getting top gear is easy and cheap and not really a tell about someone's performance. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Also, look at the skills which deal dmg, figure out which of them deal the most dmg in the least amount of time, check cooldowns.
Press them in order that lets you press them more or less in chain. Tadaaaaa, rotation.

Yup, which is why: Not that you really strick rotations in order to deal ok-ish damage. Somehow some people seem to think they need to grab a full otpimal rotation from meta sites/builds in order to deal meaningful damage. It seems like it's either being misinformed or looking for an excuse.

21 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Apart from raids which has a slight wow whiff about it, GW2 just does not need people intrusively checking on each others build.  GW2 has a solid reputation for friendliness and communication and inspection is one of those steps other games have mistakenly taken that has dragged the community towards less communication, or worse fuelled toxin behaviour for some (not all)

I mean... why apart from raids? I don't see people checking other players' gear there either, because in the end nobody (maybe apart from some limited training guilds which just want to make sure you vaguely understand what you're playing) cares about what you're running as long as you can do what you claimed you can do. 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

UI overhaul is on the top of my wish list for this game. Especially LFG improvements and resizing and moving different parts or UI. Player, enemy boon/condi/effect table included as it is a total mess and can even get hidden behind mini map. At larger resolutions the boon/condi tables become super small even if you enlarge the whole UI. I also like to have all the player and enemy information close together so I dont need to move my eye constantly all over the screen. But the boon/condi table situation is the most dire.

As for the gear checks. I dont mind them. But I think those are much more useful in gear treadmill games where a certain gear score is mandatory for specific content. Here getting top gear is easy and cheap and not really a tell about someone's performance. 

agree:

player knows fight, imperfect gear = no need to inspect.

player knows Fight , perfect gear = no need to inspect.

player does not know fight - gear is irrelevant, almost anyone entering raids will have exotic or above, and its skill and experience that's the issue, not gear.

not needed.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't see people checking other players' gear there either, because in the end nobody (maybe apart from some limited training guilds which just want to make sure you vaguely understand what you're playing) cares about what you're running as long as you can do what you claimed you can do. 

You don't see it because there's no option for it apart from directly asking. When that option existed, gear checking was quite common. And while it was most common among raiders (probably because they were more likely to run one of the then-used dps meters) it wasn't limited to just them. I saw that being done in fractals too, and once even in dungeon (although why would someone bother to check, and comment on, someone else's gear in AC of all things, and when the run was going smoothly, is still a mystery to me). And it was definitely used for far more than just checking for issues - saw quite a number of dumb arguments about trivial things when someone's gear differed only slightly from what someone considered to be "just right". I am talking about stuff like someone using cheaper but still quite decent rune alternative, or running full zerker instead of having that one single piece be assassins, or tank having 100 toughness more than absolutely necessary, those types of stuff.

And yes, you're right in that most people do not actually care, as long as you do the job. And besides, if the person in question is so big of an issue to matter, it's usually visible in many other ways.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You don't see it because there's no option for it apart from directly asking. When that option existed, gear checking was quite common. And while it was most common among raiders (probably because they were more likely to run one of the then-used dps meters) it wasn't limited to just them. I saw that being done in fractals too, and once even in dungeon (although why would someone bother to check, and comment on, someone else's gear in AC of all things, and when the run was going smoothly, is still a mystery to me). And it was definitely used for far more than just checking for issues - saw quite a number of dumb arguments about trivial things when someone's gear differed only slightly from what someone considered to be "just right". I am talking about stuff like someone using cheaper but still quite decent rune alternative, or running full zerker instead of having that one single piece be assassins, or tank having 100 toughness more than absolutely necessary, those types of stuff.

And yes, you're right in that most people do not actually care, as long as you do the job. And besides, if the person in question is so big of an issue to matter, it's usually visible in many other ways.

Some of the training guilds manage/d to do it (as mentioned directly in the post you've just quoted) and that's because in order for the player to share their gear/build, you don't need any specific inspect button. If people really thought it's a meaningful way of judging player's capabiltiies in raids, the gear/builds would still be checked, except voluntarily. But people don't, because it's too vague of an information by itself anyways.

I don't see it relevant how common it was when and where, it's not about that at all, it's about it not making much sense as a decisive factor in the first place. It seems you've missed the whole point of my post, but the point remains the same: it's simply unneeded because in the end what matters isn't the very specific gear or build taken from whatever meta site, but instead whether or not the player can do what they said they can.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And besides, if the person in question is so big of an issue to matter, it's usually visible in many other ways.

This.

We do not need gear inspect to tell that the guy who stood took his red circle behind Minister Li isnt carrying his weight.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1