Ableism in Guild Wars 2

Sane people: "Hey, I physically can't do these jumping puzzles. Is there any way around them, or are there any mesmers willing to port me to the top?"

Sane responses: "Sure! There's the skyscale treats you can craft or buy on the trading post." [absolute flood of people asking "are you NA or EU, I'll happily port you, let's go!"]

OP: "Game is ableist because I can't be bothered to figure out a way around this issue even though one is readily available and has been from day one. Change the game to fit me because you're an -istaphobe if you don't, bigot."

You go through life with that attitude, OP, no one will want to be around you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14

I see OP has asked before, several years ago, for personal story to be toned down to accommodate disabilities as well.  Also had no suggestions as to how it could be improved.  Same thing, players suggested groups or asking for help.  Now we just have a new ism thrown into the mix.  

Many people have suggested simply asking for help.  That's really all it...no one else can make the little pixels jump, but they can assist and guide.  Craft some skyscale treats, if you don't have cooking skills, then buy them off the trading post with the in-game gold you earn by doing dailies, and skip the jumping puzzles.  It's a fairly generous way to avoid having to do that content.  

Unfortunately not every game, every device, can accommodate every person's unique needs.  Heck I couldn't make it through Flappy Bird on my phone when it was popular.  I think they really try in GW2 to make it accessible for as many people as they can, but it's impossible to do it all.  Best of luck, please ask for help, please utilize your resources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got into Fractals, progressed to T3 and got my Skyscale while having little to no use of my right arm after being hit by a car, it wasn't easy, but it was completely doable. GW2 is way more accessible than everything else I've played so far.

I remember seeing a year ago or so that there was a person doing Fractals and Raids with one hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, KeySpellsong.2569 said:

So I am a handicapped gamer, let's just get that out there now. I have tried to get help from the support staff with contacting the devs to try and make the game more accessible for gamers like myself. Things from making story instances combat less grueling to making things like unlocking the Skyscale more accessible. All to no avail, and my latest attempt to get help ended with support staff answering my concerns of ableism in the game design and community with ableist comments of their own. All I wanted was off forum help because I know that this will get me accused of being political when all I want is for the game to be more accessible. This game has a truly wonderful story and amazing set of well written characters, some of those wonderful characters are even disabled themselves. All I am asking is that the content be made more accessible, so that story can be enjoyed and so that things like the Skyscale are more accessible for all the gamers playing Guild Wars 2. Also maybe ask your staff not to address concerns of ableism with more ableism.

Maybe you would have more fun watching a playthrough on youtube or twitch, and then sort of imagining you are them? Idk, but this isn't ableist. There is a reason a paraplegic athlete doesn't play baseball, and it's not the fault of the MLB. Find what you are good at and stick with that. good luck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KeySpellsong.2569 said:

Again that is pay to win or pay to progress, if you are saying I have to pay more because of my handicap then you have missed the point of why I posted.

You don't need to "pay", you can craft or buy those for ingame gold, which you get from actual gameplay. The skyscale is also an optional mount and is supposed to require more effort to get. Making it constantly easier to get for whatever reason seems to be missing the point. On the bright side, you're not really locked out of content by not having the skyscale anyways.

If you have trouble with story content, group up and go through it with others. I find it a little backwards that you consider "playing the game with other players, coooperating" as being somehow insulting to you (it's not), but asking to make the game easier for you to who-knows-what-level isn't considered by you as getting carried. I don't mean that as any offense, I just don't understand how you'd rather make the game almost play itself (maybe? I didn't see you mentioning what difficulty level is supposed to be acceptable?) than play a multiplayer game with a group of other players. Playing with other players isn't some sign of weakness, it's just playing together. Mind that you don't need to "ask others for help because you can't do it or w/e other reason for it would be", you can just look for players to play the story together.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Treats are not Pay to Win because they are obtainable through normal in game means, and spending money to do so does not really confer any real advantage over other players.

If they were gem store only, or required a disproportional amount of resources investing into it so that doing so in-game would not be practical, then you could argue pay to win. Example: If the treats were time gated to once a week to craft but even that would be disputable.

"I don't want to do it", is not "pay to win.".

Furthermore the act of winning is somewhat dubious, as Skyscale is optional. No reasonable game makes all rewards open to everyone. The accusation of Abelism would require that the game is designed specifically to exclude players (eg. excessive flashing graphics). Now obviously this game isn't exactly spectacular when it comes to accessibility settings but that's not what we're talking about here.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1