Why can we build precurser just one time??

8 minutes ago, Nachtwind.8231 said:

Hi,

I built Spark some years ago but sold it instead of getting further. Now I tried to build it again and the game won't let me. Why is that so? I just invested all the materials just to recognise this on the last step 😞

I don't know, but buying it from TP is cheaper than crafting it anyways.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/legendaries?filter.generation=1  Crafting it is 240-270g (buy-sell materials' price), buying a full precursor is 205-220g (buy-sell price).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yes. Afaik you can craft all the legendaries multiple times. Even with the new armory system that allows for unlimited use on multiple chars ... you can only use it as many times as you have it crafted. And some allow for ... like 4 of the same weapon. (If it can be used in both hands x2 for the two weapon sets that can be equipped.)

The precursor scavenger hunt with crafting limit 1/account was only for the gen 1 legendaries where the other option was to wait for a rare drop ... or buy it expensive at the trading post. (There you can still get more copies of the precurser if needed. While for the later stuff they are account bound and have to be crafted by yourself - with no limits per account.)

As shown above: Nowadays the prices for buying directly are cheaper. (Crafting ... only good for the skins you get in between - the ugly ones ... for "completion" and collecting all skins. :D)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nachtwind.8231 said:

Hi,

I built Spark some years ago but sold it instead of getting further. Now I tried to build it again and the game won't let me. Why is that so? I just invested all the materials just to recognise this on the last step 😞

If the materials had been converted and will be a total loss, contact Customer Support. They will help you resolve the issue. Just a few months ago, I tried to craft a Gen 1 precursor to make the legendary after having sold it years ago. Mistakenly thinking that they had enabled the ability to craft multiple copies of precursors for all generations not that long ago. Support sent me the precursor after I deleted all the items for the last step.

Just explained your situation with the appropriate wiki links of the precursor plus screenshots of the items to craft the precursor in your inventory

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Yes. Afaik you can craft all the legendaries multiple times. Even with the new armory system that allows for unlimited use on multiple chars ... you can only use it as many times as you have it crafted. And some allow for ... like 4 of the same weapon. (If it can be used in both hands x2 for the two weapon sets that can be equipped.)

The precursor scavenger hunt with crafting limit 1/account was only for the gen 1 legendaries where the other option was to wait for a rare drop ... or buy it expensive at the trading post. (There you can still get more copies of the precurser if needed. While for the later stuff they are account bound and have to be crafted by yourself - with no limits per account.)

As shown above: Nowadays the prices for buying directly are cheaper. (Crafting ... only good for the skins you get in between - the ugly ones ... for "completion" and collecting all skins. :D)

Buying directly isn't cheaper, its just cheaper in the short term. The long-term investment in the crafting process shows up as being more expensive on the crafting calculator, but that assumes you were going to sell all the materials and not keep or use any of them. On top of this, while farming for those materials you're making gold instead of spending it, which is why farming is always more efficient than buying.

You may lose a few hundred gold in the process, but you probably make a few thousand gold in that time. Profit or loss doesn't exist in a vacuum, there's alot of related factors.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 6

30 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

i believe you can speak to Grandmaster Hobbs in Lions arch and repurchase Chest of Industry, Tricks and Tips for Advanced Dagger Crafting, and Chest of Chemistry, in order to gain Essence of Industry, Expertise in Dagger Crafting, and Essence of Chemistry to re-craft Spark Experiment, The Perfected Dagger and Spark again

All Gen 1 Precursors can only be crafted once per account. You can obtain the items you stated to make the components needed again but you'll be unable to do the final step to gain the precursors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

(Crafting ... only good for the skins you get in between - the ugly ones ... for "completion" and collecting all skins. :D)

It is not good for that. When you unlock Spark/Incinerator, you will unlock all the previous skins.

Crafting is only good for the AP and gizmos from certain collections like the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wolf_Totem_(tonic) and https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Chromatic_Ooze

Crafting also used to be cheaper for some of the weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nachtwind.8231 said:

Hi,

For gen1 it's because the drops are a major part of the economy. The gen1 precursor collections were more to give people bad luck protection. 

The good news is precursors have been dropping in price for a while. I personally don't think crafting dusk was worth the time the collection took, it's possible efficient gold farming is stronger than the collection these days anyway.

Other good news: you can directly craft gen2 or gen3 precursors if you're looking to make your own. Remember gen2 are soulbound.

If you haven't done the return to achievements yet you can get a gen3 precursor and a legendary neck for free. 

• Thanks 1

I did the dusk collection a few weeks ago and it absolutely wasn't worth the effort VS just buying it. The precursor prices have dropped too much for the collections to have any value unless you want something else from them like Wolf Totem or the Liquid Steel thing?

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2

Depending on current value of materials, the hidden garden from Kudzu collection may make more money for a parked character than other things, like the flax farm.  Though at best, probably only talking 10-20s/day, so probably a long time to pay for itself.

I sort of like the scavenger hunt part of the collection, but dislike the phase where you need to have many stacks of certain materials to make a stack of other materials that you give away.  I don't mind the price as much, rather just the mind numbing thing of sitting there watching crafting happen.  I understand this is a way to get rid of materials (though I wonder how many legendaries are really done this way and how much material it actually sucks up vs all the other crafting).  In some ways, I'd rather it just be paying the weaponsmith 200g (or whatever) to complete that step.  At least that would make the price of making the precursors more predictable - as it is, price can fluctuate a bit based on cost of materials (which makes the scavenger hunt a big money loser for some items).

And I really wonder how many players are actually gathering 5000 mithril ore or whatever, or more than likely, just spending that 200g on the trading post to buy the materials.  It is going to be more effective to play on high income maps/content and buy the materials vs trying to collect it by wandering through various maps

Honestly if this is about gen 1 precursors just buy it my friend. The prices are for what ever reason at lows not seen since launch when there just wasn't that much gold in the game. 

I looted a dusk....afreakoing dusk in WvW and was extremely surprised to see it almost wasn't worth selling. 

I used to mystic forge a ton back in the day I'm talking 3-4 pre's a day. I would have never survived on how low some of these prices have hit. My bread and butter was oddly enough daggers. Staves, and swords. Great money back then.

Anyway just buy them, you would be hard pressed to get them for much cheaper than now. 

Seriously I wonder if wg will take another pass at them. Alot of the collections don't reflect how cheap they are. I'm ok with cheap pre's but does anyone actually do the collections with the exception of the first 4 gen 2 pre's? 

I did hope after all these years. It wasn't as bad as I thought but even it could use a tone down to match how cheap gen 3 is.

17 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Buying directly isn't cheaper, its just cheaper in the short term. The long-term investment in the crafting process shows up as being more expensive on the crafting calculator, but that assumes you were going to sell all the materials and not keep or use any of them. On top of this, while farming for those materials you're making gold instead of spending it, which is why farming is always more efficient than buying.

You may lose a few hundred gold in the process, but you probably make a few thousand gold in that time. Profit or loss doesn't exist in a vacuum, there's alot of related factors.

Nope, buying the precursor is cheaper than making it, and by not a thin margin.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1