Hordes of Clones

Anyone have any thoughts about this stuff?  I've been seeing a LOT of clone hordes frequently clustering around the guild banker (especially in Rata Sum) and less frequently around a number of apparently "choice" JP chests since the Steam release. I know what the obvious go-to answer is, but maybe someone has another answer?  Some kind of advantage being taken related to some Steam key giveaways or similar?  There are an awful lot of these hordes at work these days (I've counted over 40 clone hordes all attached to the same guild tags and, mostly, all race / class / gear clones, all with individual account names) so I'd be surprised if others haven't taken notice.  I should note that with some exceptions, most of these characters don't seem to be being botted--they do appear to be being individually controlled.

So, chime in or don't, it's not that important; just something that's been making me curious.  Oh, and no, I'm not looking for info on how I can join their cult.  I can't even manage the alt accounts and hordes of alt characters I already have as it is.

Edited by Kruhljak.2705
  • Confused 1

Not sure about the ones around banks.  I know there are people with a lot of alt accounts they use only for login rewards.  I recall that teapot guy even made a video about how to profit from it some time back.  So maybe that's what you are seeing.  People logging in on multiple accounts, getting login rewards or opening JP chests. 

The ones around maps in various spots in big groups, always in the same place, killing enemy mobs are just people setting the world record for playing GW2 while watching Netflix or working on a second monitor without rest or sleeping.  Nothing to see there.  😜

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's just people with alt accounts who are logging into them all at once to transfer items/gold.

To be honest the weird part to me is that they make all the characters look the same. I have a second account (I got a code free in a promo thing) and I used it as (another) opportunity to use some of the character ideas I have which never went beyond an appearence or would be redundant on my main account.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm pretty sure it's just people with alt accounts who are logging into them all at once to transfer items/gold.

To be honest the weird part to me is that they make all the characters look the same. I have a second account (I got a code free in a promo thing) and I used it as (another) opportunity to use some of the character ideas I have which never went beyond an appearence or would be redundant on my main account.

I did that with a bunch of my characters but different hairstyles, mainly cuz I started playing FFXIV in 2020 and just really liked being able to play every job/class on the same character. And ofc we can't mix light/heavy/med armor skins so my main char can wear different things between classes.

• Like 1

Bear in mind I'm not just talking about a few people with some additional accounts, I'm talking about dozens with upwards of 30 or more that have conveniently appeared since the Steam release.   That's the link that's got me curious.  I'm aware Steam has been a popular source of key exploitation for years.  But perhaps this isn't the best forum to inquire about such things.  Thanks for your input.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1