4th elite spec

arazoth.7290

I get the impression that ArenaNet doesn't want us channelling our own (former) antagonists. Partially, I think, because they don't want players going back and using that stance against the original, and partially because they've established that the PC feels dirty about it.

Instead, they seem to be lowering the bar to be a potential revenant legend.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Varesh Ossa would be a good pick.

Revenant has a Shortage in both evil and female Legends.

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I hope they don't go any lower than having two Legends in one, whose story is is already covered by a core Revenant Legend.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Partially, I think, because they don't want players going back and using that stance against the original, and partially because they've established that the PC feels dirty about it.

You literally channel Joko in LW4 soooo get out of here with this assumption. 
Only reason Joko won't be a possibility is because Aurene omnomnomnom him, Magic, existence and all.

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

Yea, I'd prefer not to get the Harley Quinn ripoff and something of actual merit from the history of Guild Wars. I do wonder if they are giving Rev's dagger next since the image on the backdrop of the rev is wielding a dagger.

Don't care for who it is, just give me a Rifle I guess. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

21 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

The thing is... What would you replace the scythe with? Staff, hammer and GS that could more or less replace the scythe have all been already given to the revenant or it's e-specs.

It could be literally anything that's not already in use.

Jalis didn't use a ranged hammer. Mallyx used neither an Axe nor a Mace. Kalla didn't use a bow. Neither Archemorus nor Viktor used a Greatsword. Technically, Glint didn't use a shield, but that's interpreted as one of her scales.

Also, Varesh didn't really leave much impact as a Dervish. Her imprint in the Mists is more about the war against Istan, using Margonites and other demons and opening the Mouth of Torment.

Going by that, a Varesh elite specialization could be about summoning demons in similar fashion to Necromancer's minions and using Sceptre or Focus.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It could be literally anything that's not already in use.

Jalis didn't use a ranged hammer. Mallyx used neither an Axe nor a Mace. Kalla didn't use a bow. Neither Archemorus nor Viktor used a Greatsword. Technically, Glint didn't use a shield, but that's interpreted as one of her scales.

Also, Varesh didn't really leave much impact as a Dervish. Her imprint in the Mists is more about the war against Istan, using Margonites and other demons and opening the Mouth of Torment.

Going by that, a Varesh elite specialization could be about summoning demons in similar fashion to Necromancer's minions and using Sceptre or Focus.

I'm sorry but I'm not sold. To be honest, I must say that when I played nightfall back at it's release, Varesh  didn't really have a big impact on me. Yes, she was responsible of the mess and we even had to kick her kitten but, honestly, it felt like a "flavor" character, a vilain that exist for the sake of the story more than anything. Even scarlet in GW2 felt like she had more substance than Varesh.

If we were going for a "nightfall flavor" like we had a "faction flavor" with vindicator, I'd see Turai Ossa used over Varesh anytime as he truly is "legendary". He was already a legend in GW1 after all, like the 2 fools that are used as a legend for vindicator.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not sold. To be honest, I must say that when I played nightfall back at it's release, Varesh  didn't really have a big impact on me. Yes, she was responsible of the mess and we even had to kick her kitten but, honestly, it felt like a "flavor" character, a vilain that exist for the sake of the story more than anything. Even scarlet in GW2 felt like she had more substance than Varesh.

If we were going for a "nightfall flavor" like we had a "faction flavor" with vindicator, I'd see Turai Ossa used over Varesh anytime as he truly is "legendary". He was already a legend in GW1 after all, like the 2 fools that are used as a legend for vindicator.

In terms of flavour, Ventari doesn't have much, if any, either. In GW1, he was just a Centaur sitting in an outpost. In GW2, he's pretty much exclusively tied Sylvari via his tablet.

Archemorus and Viktor have no remarkable flavour either. They may have managed to deal the killing blow together, but that was only possible because Vizu crippled him enough. And their flavour as a legend is further diluted by Shiro already being part of Core Revenant.

I don't think having deep flavour is a requirement to become a Legend for Revenant.

For all we know, they could also invent a completely new historical character that had never been mentioned in the games before and make it the new legend.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:36 AM, Yasai.3549 said:

You literally channel Joko in LW4 soooo get out of here with this assumption. 
Only reason Joko won't be a possibility is because Aurene omnomnomnom him, Magic, existence and all.

It's almost like that was exactly the event I was thinking of when I said that they established that the PC felt dirty about it:

They cannot hold you.

For some reason, you have no doubt you will escape.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png Perhaps you can use Joko's strength against him.
A whisper needles at your subconscious, an urge for freedom.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png ...And power... Just this once, never again... (gives access to Legendary Prisoner Stance)

Joko being omnommed doesn't change anything: revenants channel echoes in the Mists, not the individual themselves, and Joko was certainly important enough to leave such an echo. But what they seem to have done is set up a justification to have NPC revenants potentially using Joko without making it available to the PC.

And the Doylist reason for that is probably that they don't want people using Scarlet Stance in season 1 or Joko Stance in season 4. People were laughing enough about using Hounds of Balthazar against, well, the Hounds of Balthazar in season 3.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:06 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Varesh Ossa would be a good pick.

Revenant has a Shortage in both evil and female Legends.

I hope they don't go any lower than having two Legends in one, whose story is is already covered by a core Revenant Legend.

Varesh might well be overlapping with Mallyx due to being the herald of Nightfall, but hey, they brought in the duo when all they were famous for was fighting Shiro...

Main-hand axe for big cleave (sword is more defensive) with at least a leap or short port.

Legendary Mursaat Stance, powerful evil, non-human demigods with extreme power and nice abilities to pull from.

Optimus Caliph ideally, since Lazarus is in the story (unless if you tie it with an aspect of Lazarus).

What will the legend do? Idk give it some dark looking stuff and utilities centered around debuffing enemies to buff yourself idk.

Something that can work with Shiro and Mallyx as a very edgy Rev power or condi build (I prefer power tho).

21 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Main-hand axe for big cleave (sword is more defensive) with at least a leap or short port.

Legendary Mursaat Stance, powerful evil, non-human demigods with extreme power and nice abilities to pull from.

Optimus Caliph ideally, since Lazarus is in the story (unless if you tie it with an aspect of Lazarus).

What will the legend do? Idk give it some dark looking stuff and utilities centered around debuffing enemies to buff yourself idk.

Something that can work with Shiro and Mallyx as a very edgy Rev power or condi build (I prefer power tho).

Those things don't really go together. None of the Mursaat used melee weapons - they were exclusively casters, so a sceptre would be far more appropriate. Optimus Caliph specifically was an elementalist, so apart from Spectral Agony, it would likely be elementalist-like abilities rather than the sort of abilities you're asking for.

29 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Those things don't really go together. None of the Mursaat used melee weapons - they were exclusively casters, so a sceptre would be far more appropriate.

Jalis didn't use a ranged hammer.

Ventari didn't use any weapon from what I remember.

Neither Glint nor Mallyx used weapons either.

Kalla's statue features a Greatsword, not a Shortbow.

Neither Archemorus nor Viktor used a Greatsword.

So far, the only Legend one can argue that lines up with its Revenant weapons is Shiro.

As one can easily see, the weapon is independent from the Legend. Thus, a Mursaat Legend doesn't need to have a ranged or magical weapon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

For all we know, they could also invent a completely new historical character that had never been mentioned in the games before and make it the new legend.

Yep, they did it for renegade's Kalla. Though, she does have ties with one of eyes of the north's heros.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

As one can easily see, the weapon is independent from the Legend. Thus, a Mursaat Legend doesn't need to have a ranged or magical weapon.

Mursaat Legend just makes the Revenant go invisible and then cease to exist. 
aka. Anet just deletes the class. 

• Confused 2

I think that thinking about which new mechanic can be brought by the 4th e-spec is a bit more important than looking for weapon or legend.

The legend somehow need to have some amount of ties with the area covered by the x-pack. These ties can be pretty loose which leave a lot of freedom, though.

The weapon need to be related to "remind" the legend. Shield remind glint's scales, shortbow remind that kalla had an impact through skirmishes, GS remind the swords that both of the canthan fools used in their fight against shiro.

Now, what mechanism would I like to see:

An F2 that transform the character into the legend he currently channel with a low upkeep (and obviously, since it's a transformation, the loss of the utility skills while transformed). That would be effectively bring 5-6 weapons set kit to the revenant.

• Shiro would end up with a nervous skill kit with a few movement skills and evade skills
  • Jalis would have a melee hammer with a skill set similar to untamed hammer (the skillset that offer hard CC not the "unleashed" skillset).
  • Mallyx would get a bit of mobility back to it's kit and would vomit a lot of torment (a shiny gorilla that jump everywhere, leaving area of corruption behind him)
  • Ventari would have a skill kit similar to the druid's avatar

Possible 5th legends:

• One of the norn's totem/shaman, it would fit with the "transformation mechanism".
  • A GW1's ritualist that's more or less known. Maybe a canthan character inspired by norn's racial abilities after eye of the north timeline.
  • A nightmare that would have developped shapeshifting abilities to trick their foes.
  • An ancient jotun (they are said to have once been wise, powerful and knowledgable, maybe a legend leading them to their downfall while trying to channel it's primal instincts)
  • A Seer.

Weapon would probably be a focus for the symbolic of having a more thorough channeling of the legend.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

On 1/10/2023 at 6:38 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

I get the impression that ArenaNet doesn't want us channelling our own (former) antagonists. Partially, I think, because they don't want players going back and using that stance against the original, and partially because they've established that the PC feels dirty about it.

They kind of already teased Scarlet as a legend though... Expac 4 with Scarlet and OH Pistol is my guess.

39 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

They kind of already teased Scarlet as a legend though... Expac 4 with Scarlet and OH Pistol is my guess.

What would be her "myth", what would she "represent", what would be the mechanic associated?

Would it be Ceara Briar (before the influence of mordremoth) or Scarlet Briar (Deeply fallen into the madness)?

Which "feet" should the legend express? Her enginiery prowess? Her tempering with the leyline? The fact that she woke up mordremoth? Her madness?

What would OH pistol represent?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

What would be her "myth", what would she "represent", what would be the mechanic associated?

Would it be Ceara Briar (before the influence of mordremoth) or Scarlet Briar (Deeply fallen into the madness)?

Which "feet" should the legend express? Her enginiery prowess? Her tempering with the leyline? The fact that she woke up mordremoth? Her madness?

What would OH pistol represent?

I would think her myth would be pretty obvious, the awakening of Mordremoth and the destruction of LA and widespread villainy and chaos she caused Tyria during her time.

If her appearance via Mai Trin is to go by, then it's Scarlet, not Ceara.

She would obviously be tech and engineer focused which would influence her legend skills, and makes OH pistol an obvious choice, coupled with Mai herself using it.

It would be the obvious way to do a Rev/Engi cross class with a contemporary legend not Snaff.