Class balance is NOT content update

Dev.1984

Well, dear OP, you should ask yourself this: What exactly are you saying, especially considering you post this in the professions section of the forum. What do you expect? A new spec, new traitlines every few months? I don't think this would be sustainable in terms of controlling balance and impact on PvE (including fractals, strike missions and raids), PVP and WvW.

I also disagree about class balance updates not being content updates. If anything, I'd like bigger changes to traitlines and skills. I am still waiting for warrior arms traitline to become a strong meta pick (though there seem to be some condi variants that now actually DO use it). I still see dead traits in many specs, which need rework, and I would like to see more choices on rebalancing taking these dead traits into consideration.

I see dead elite skills, which should receive a rework - or simply be phased out instead of keeping them around. I know that the idea of species-specific skills has been abandoned for the most part and I find this sad. But if they should not be used, because they can't possibly be balanced across all specs, we should remove them and find some other way of making species pick more relevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not only are balance updates in fact GREAT content, but they are probably the most efficient use of developer time. When you add a new map or instanced content, or even something like WvW alliances, you benefit only one game mode. But when you rework unused weapons/traits/skills to make them viable, you create new build opportunities across all 3 game modes.  That's not to say that game mode-specific changes shouldn't happen, btw; they absolutely should. But balance changes are what gets the most "bang for your developers ' buck".

To me, class balance can be some of the best content.  I don't consider raw numbers tuning to be content..  like a 10% modifier going to 15%.  That type of balancing is important but its not very exciting. 

However, when a trait gets reworked, or replaced entirely with a new one...  That is absolutely content because it opens up new build and playstyle opportunities.  This doesn't always happen, but when it does I get excited for it.

• Like 1

If balance updates , new rewards , rework of traits or skills are not content updates , then wvw players have been without content updates for ... when did the warclaw came out ? and not talking about pvp either then .

free to you to think what you want Op , but having something that shake up the meta is content .

Example i never played vindicator before it got buffed to 2 dodges , and now i like it .

• Sad 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:59 AM, zeyeti.8347 said:

If balance updates , new rewards , rework of traits or skills are not content updates , then wvw players have been without content updates for ... when did the warclaw came out ? and not talking about pvp either then .

free to you to think what you want Op , but having something that shake up the meta is content .

Example i never played vindicator before it got buffed to 2 dodges , and now i like it .

Yeah it would be really nice if we could replace the 2nd alpine borderlands with something new, like a forest map.

Also, I know what you mean. I used to play mirage and liked it when it had 2 dodges. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Yeah it would be really nice if we could replace the 2nd alpine borderlands with something new, like a forest map.

Also, I know what you mean. I used to play mirage and liked it when it had 2 dodges. 

Agreed. Balamce is needed and its valid content. That said, to me all the balance is mute when they do stuff like tease that Mirage's other dodge is on the table in the balance stream when they are announcing Vindicator (eod and designed for 1 dodge) is being given a 2nd dodge in all 3 game modes. Then almost 6 months and many patches later still no re-mention of Mirage's missing dodge in wvw/pvp or anything to explain what direction they plan to go if any. Im left to think that the mention of Mirage was just a ploy try and head off pushback about the plan to give Vindicator a 2nd dodge.

Either way. I really miss being able to run around on my Mirage without needing to deal with being stuck with one less dodge when Im in a match or pop into wvw. No other class has been given this issue. Only Mirage and it was done 3 years ago. Its due to be addressed.

Its hard to care about other content when they do things like this because people invest time in toons and specs and this just shows a lack of consideration to players and arguably implies they are only focused on max profit for as little work as possible.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Confused 1