Any linux users here?

InvaGir.9158

I tried it on Ubuntu some years back and it ran like shit. I was happy if i could get 10 FPS, not to mention the graphics were not right (it wasn't ugly but some effects weren't displaying right, the whole game looked "off"), the hoops i had to jump through to get it running and well... It was not an enjoyable experience.

Also, Windows literally can't force your GPU to run at 50%, all it can do is provide a platform and the framework for other applications to use your hardware, that's all any OS basically is. So if your GPU is not being utilized more than that it means either it doesn't need to be and the game got all the resources it needed from your GPU (leaving the other unitilized because no need for all that power) or the game is not coded that way and can't take the full advantage of your hardware, or you have a hardware issue.Most of the games will never utilize the full capabilities of your GPU nor do they have to, that's not a windows or linux issue.

And GW2 doesn't use much of the GPU, it mostly gets its resources from the CPU. Get a good fast CPU and it'll run better.That said. It was a while back when i tried GW2 on linux so maybe it can run better now but when i did, it ran like crap because of the added layers of emulation you need to run on top of your game. Plus, the drivers for the GPU weren't as supported as they are now and who knows, maybe now it works good.

I mean, it's free, install it on a spearate disk partition, then just mount your windows partitions, install wine and what not, then just point it to your GW2 installation where you installed it in windows, it should work and you'll see how it runs without getting rid of windows.

Linux user here playing GW2 for the past 3 years currently using Wine Staging 2.0 (Anything past 2.0 may give a huge 20-30 fps loss). Performance is quite acceptable at medium settings 1920x1080 and the game is very stable, on a weekend I may go up to 12 hours straight without the game crashing. Also if you have an AMD GPU you can get better performance than with an Nvidia card thanks to a Gallium-Nine (a feature that enables DirectX 9 games to run almost at Windows performance).

I play a bit of all content in the game and everything works as it should, and you can do all kinds of large group battles too such as WvW and PoF Bounty Bosses. If you can tolerate less fps and some less graphic fidelity then I'd say go for it. However keep in mind, Windows does not force your GPU to run at 50%, the game simply doesn't need a strong graphics card, instead puts more pressure on the CPU.

@Veprovina.4876 : Now it's much easier to get the game running, simply add the necessary command line arguments and the correct registry settings and you're good to go :-)

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" That's good to hear. If and when i install linux again i'm definitely trying it out. If nothing else, i like the linux environment more for media related things, and windows for work, so if i could make linux my "casual hangout" and still play Guild Wars 2 on it, that would be perfect. Too bad i can't switch to linux entirely, but oh well, hopefully, someday linux will be more popular so devs and companies can support it more. Until then, i'm fine with WIndows 10, it's neat, stable, and does the job.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:Linux user here playing GW2 for the past 3 years currently using Wine Staging 2.0 (Anything past 2.0 may give a huge 20-30 fps loss). Performance is quite acceptable at medium settings 1920x1080 and the game is very stable, on a weekend I may go up to 12 hours straight without the game crashing. Also if you have an AMD GPU you can get better performance than with an Nvidia card thanks to a Gallium-Nine (a feature that enables DirectX 9 games to run almost at Windows performance).

I play a bit of all content in the game and everything works as it should, and you can do all kinds of large group battles too such as WvW and PoF Bounty Bosses. If you can tolerate less fps and some less graphic fidelity then I'd say go for it. However keep in mind, Windows does not force your GPU to run at 50%, the game simply doesn't need a strong graphics card, instead puts more pressure on the CPU.

Using staging 2.20 here and it works fine no slow downs. Probably because I'm using Radeon drivers, They have got way better in the last 12 months

@slayerking.3581 said:Using staging 2.20 here and it works fine no slow downs. Probably because I'm using Radeon drivers, They have got way better in the last 12 months

AMD + Mesa seems to interact better with Wine, as you're probably aware of, even Witcher 3 runs hell of a lot better than Nvidia under Wine. Glad to know it works great under newer Wine versions.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@slayerking.3581 said:Using staging 2.20 here and it works fine no slow downs. Probably because I'm using Radeon drivers, They have got way better in the last 12 months

AMD + Mesa seems to interact better with Wine, as you're probably aware of, even Witcher 3 runs hell of a lot better than Nvidia under Wine. Glad to know it works great under newer Wine versions.

Yeah, but for a while there I was considering turning to nvidia because of the poor support from amd. Glad they saw the light and opened up what they could. Now I can pretty much dump winblows for good as it was only GW2 and a couple of other games that kept me going back.

• 9 months later...

@"slayerking.3581"amd has the best support for gw2https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppahttps://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+archive/ubuntu/winedri3i guess it is the problem with community developments. It is the community that brings value and the company doesnt really know much about it

gallium nine is litterally a native d3d9 driver in mesa.

Archived