Lunar New Year not taking place in Cantha where it got its origins? [Merged]

roederich.2716

52 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Not everyone has the expansion...

They could have done what they did in GW1 where many festivals had some activities in each campaign, some of which were duplicates and some were unique to that campaign.

I suspect they did that because the GW1 campaigns are all stand-alone, so someone could have Nightfall without Factions or Prophecies so restricting a festival to one would exclude some players. But they could still do a similar thing in GW2, for example add the vendors and an entrance to the Dragonball Arena to Cantha and maybe a New Years race event in one of the Canthan maps in addition to the one in DR.

Anet are not overly interested in lore consistency. This is about convenience and keeping things together in one place for all players. They were never going to put extra work into a festival - esp the smallest in the game. We were told they were working on sab3 2-3 years ago. That’s become a meme at this point.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Why not both?

Money and manpower probably.

35 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

They could have done what they did in GW1 where many festivals had some activities in each campaign, some of which were duplicates and some were unique to that campaign.

I suspect they did that because the GW1 campaigns are all stand-alone, so someone could have Nightfall without Factions or Prophecies so restricting a festival to one would exclude some players. But they could still do a similar thing in GW2, for example add the vendors and an entrance to the Dragonball Arena to Cantha and maybe a New Years race event in one of the Canthan maps in addition to the one in DR.

I mean, yeah, they could have but have they ever bothered so much with seasonal temporary content?

Also, they don't have to, like you said, all the GW1 stuff was standalone, now everyone is in the same place, and everyone has access to core Tyria. So everyone gets to enjoy the content without them having to work more.

Personally i don't know what the big deal is. So what if it's not in Cantha?

If someone needs a "better" reason, maybe Canthans abandoned the festival, they're very technologically advanced, and maybe don't bother anymore, but the tradition stuck in Kryta because they were holding it to remember Cantha, so it became tradition.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've been thinking about the festivals that take place in the game for a few days, and I don't know if the arenanet developers will read this, but I'll pray that someone reads it because it seems to me that it could be a good idea.

With festivals I mean specifically this one of the lunar new year or similar ones that are very oriental. The fact is that I was thinking, this festival is oriental or Chinese style, at least I notice it so I don't know what other players think, the fact is that it occurred to me, why not take this festival to Cantha (End of Dragons) as well? ) specifically to the province of Seitung and New Kaineng since the environment is identical there.

The idea would be as follows: Make this event and the ones with an oriental theme to be held not only in tyria but also in Cantha with new events and so on, I know Seitung province and New Kaineng have their own events so that's why It occurred to me that when the festival starts those events will be temporarily hidden and replaced by others that have to do with the festival, this would obviously only last until the festival is over and then the hidden events would return to normal. These events could be played by those who have the End of Dragons expansion and those who don't, would have the festival from the base game that happens in Divinity's Reach, and I think this would additionally increase the sales of the expansion a bit (which what As far as I know, it has not done badly in sales) not only because of the history it contains, but also because of the festival.

I don't know if this is something that can be done in an expansion, as I have already said this would only work with those who have the EoD expansion, those who do not have it will only be able to enjoy the one that occurs in central Tyria.

As some events, skiff or manta ray races could be added, competition for the one who lights the most firecrackers on the map to win (with first, second and third place; something like mount races), stop servants of Zhaitan or criminals who want to annoy the festival, and etc... in turn perhaps it would not hide some events that are by default on the maps such as Leviathan or the fishing contest.
I think this would bring something new to the game with new events in Seitung Province or New Kaineng.

I hope a developer reads this and discusses it with the team if it can be done, because I think this would be interesting.

I don't know if Halloween could also be celebrated in Cantha, but since this is Tyria and not the real world, anything is possible.

Did you see the other topic on this? 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/126522-lunar-new-year-not-taking-place-in-cantha-where-it-got-its-origins/

I get it but I personally would like other things to get done first, like World 3 or just simple fixes for stuff that has been around for a long time. 

Also, not very likely that a Dev will read this. That is why there are sticky posts in this forum, they are more likely to be read by devs. If at all.

Edited by SandraSolace.7682
Spelling and adding

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Lunar New Year not taking place in Cantha where it got its origins? [Merged]

Canthan festival not in Cantha.. wait what?  Thise two aren't the same thing?

also, the Divinity R. section where so many events are held still, has been a giant hole in the ground since release, and that's because it was suppose to be the Canthan section, but "asian architecture problems" or whatever it was, made them scrap it, and they added the hole with the bird on top, Woodenpotatoes made a really interesting video on it. 

So now that Cantha is in GW2, what's the reason for holding that festival - along with others - in that stupid place that really only makes sense (and ony there) for the Festival of the Four Winds event?

Not everyone bought EoD?

Don't you think if you made a section in Cantha where everyone could go regardless of the expacs they own during the Canthan Lunar New Year, those players that don't have EoD would have a bigger incentive to buy and explore the rest of Cantha?

but ye as other people who love this game keep pointing out, anything anet says they're working on simply isn't true. SAB new worlds lies are small, they actually lied about WvW Alliances being in the EoD expansion.

• Confused 4

23 hours ago, Chainheart.7263 said:

but ye as other people who love this game keep pointing out, anything anet says they're working on simply isn't true. SAB new worlds lies are small, they actually lied about WvW Alliances being in the EoD expansion.

They never said wvw alliances were in the EoD expansion.

Put up a quote from them or stop spreading lies yourself.

And yea they said they are working on new content in SAB but never when said content would materialise.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:33 PM, Chainheart.7263 said:

Canthan festival not in Cantha.. wait what?  Thise two aren't the same thing?

also, the Divinity R. section where so many events are held still, has been a giant hole in the ground since release, and that's because it was suppose to be the Canthan section, but "asian architecture problems" or whatever it was, made them scrap it, and they added the hole with the bird on top, Woodenpotatoes made a really interesting video on it. 

So now that Cantha is in GW2, what's the reason for holding that festival - along with others - in that stupid place that really only makes sense (and ony there) for the Festival of the Four Winds event?

Not everyone bought EoD?

Don't you think if you made a section in Cantha where everyone could go regardless of the expacs they own during the Canthan Lunar New Year, those players that don't have EoD would have a bigger incentive to buy and explore the rest of Cantha?

I think I have already said it, but I know that not everyone has the expansion, I already took that into account, what I am saying is that those who do not have the expansion will be able to enjoy the event only in Divinity R. and those who do the expansion, You can enjoy it in both places.
Of course, this might give a little incentive to those people who don't have the expansion to buy it.
I don't know English so I put this in the google translator and it still doesn't translate well... xd

Edited by DestroierGames.2147

• 3 weeks later...

Would love to see this also, or at the very least some new games or activities that can match guild wars 1 new year festival i just dont find it as fun as the one in gw1 is, the main event grind is super boring for me sorry to say but festivals are going in the wrong direction please give us goodies and activities for these that are fun to  farm and also gifts  to open with nice treats and treasure inside after all they are Festivals.