My thoughts after obtaining Skyscale

Is Skyscale worth some effort? Yes. That doesn't change that it's obtained through poorly designed means.

I engaed in combat.. zero times in the 4 or 5 days it took to get the skyscale.

3 of those 5 days was spent waiting for reset due to time gating.

Lore-wise, we already saw a female dragon grow from baby to maturity. Her name is Aurene. This was not a novel idea.

Skyscale Flight was about learning how to use skyscale. Guess what? It only takes 5 closed rifts to get the hang of hovering. Not 25. And I'm never going to need to close rifts again.

What a colossal annoyance that was. Jesus.

Now I feel like griefing players by hovering over the trading post to obscure their vision. That's the kind of negative emotion this built up inside me. The opposite of GW2's design philosophy.

Suggestion: Next xpac will mean more catching up to do. More hero points to grind on every character. Trim 'Troublesome Skyscales' and 'Skyscale Flight'. Jesus.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 2
  • Confused 21
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Now I feel like griefing players by hovering over the trading post to obscure their vision. That's the kind of negative emotion this spurred inside me. The opposite of GW2's design philosophy.

Someone hovering close to the ground, especially in safe zones is one of the most annoying aspects of the skyscale. The constant flapping of the wings and filling up your whole screen as they hover just above and behind you.

At Ley-line Anomaly, you'll usually see 1/2 a dozen hovering and waiting for when the Anomaly is vulnerable. Be considerate and hover to the side. Really, you will have plenty of time to get credit. Particularly annoying are those who hover at the start of Soo-Won's fight. Knowing they are in no danger, some will just afk or simply take their time to join the fight. And in the process, blocking your sight of any AoEs. Stay mounted but land and you'll be fast to react as well.

If it's annoying enough, I'll just hop onto my skyscale and hover just behind and slightly above them. Filling their entire screen and serenading them with the music of the flapping wings. Guaranteed to make them move away fast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Is Skyscale worth some effort? Yes. That doesn't change that it's obtained through poorly designed means.

I engaed in combat.. zero times in the 4 or 5 days it took to get the skyscale.

3 of those 5 days was spent waiting for reset due to time gating.

Lore-wise, we already saw a female dragon grow from baby to maturity. Her name is Aurene. This was not a novel idea.

Skyscale Flight was about learning how to use skyscale. Guess what? It only takes 5 closed rifts to get the hang of hovering. Not 25. And I'm never going to need to close rifts again.

What a colossal annoyance that was. Jesus.

Few months of complaining about skyscale acquisition being too hard/long/grindy, then gets skyscale in 5 days and complains that s/he had too much resting time and didn't have to grind fight.

The exact state of many (not to confuse "many" with "all") complaints on this forum where the complaining person in the end opts out for "not doing it because no" and then not being that hard is also somehow bad.

Now I feel like griefing players by hovering over the trading post to obscure their vision. That's the kind of negative emotion this built up inside me. The opposite of GW2's design philosophy.

Literally can't obscure vision of trading post, it's an overlaying window over anything you decide to do, but sure, do that.

Suggestion: Next xpac will mean more catching up to do. More hero points to grind on every character. Trim 'Troublesome Skyscales' and 'Skyscale Flight'. Jesus.

Nah, it's fine, as you've noticed it took you 4-5 days. Not much more to trim there.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

WoW.  Someone is bitter. It wasn't that bad of an experience to warrant that level of negativity to where you actually want to bother other players on purpose. Listen, I am not a fan of the overall way they did it either, but it was not THAT BAD. Grindy and annoying in some parts, sure. But to warrant that much bitterness inside you from it means in general you already had a lot of it from something else inside you. So, I would take a chill pill and play something else for a bit, so you don't needlessly harass other players because you are unhappy with your life.

• Like 9

Its not a bad experience I really dont get it why people say this? It means you have to play the game to acquire it, you have to travel the world whoo hoo, do events play with the skyscale . The problem is people want instant gratification, there are enough take my money and gimme things in games, skyscale is a journey for an epic mount. I have it on 2 accounts and getting ready to get it on a third 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The acquisition method ensures that I will never have a Skyscale...and that is OK. There are things I have in game that others might choose to skip for the same reason.

I can understand how not everyone will like all aspects but why not do them in bits and pieces. There are 5 distinct sections. Do each as a separate and unique achievements. You can get 45 achievements points total. Take a week or a month to do each sections. Or just re-visit whenever you have time. Most people who view it as long and grindy are trying to get it in 1 long haul.

And before you know it, you'll be hovering your very own skyscale just to annoy others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And icing on the cake, the biggest disappointment: the energy. Feels like i'm flying with a handicapped dragon that can't really fly. We can't reach the sky only the top of a big house. (full mastered ofc) What a jest. The dumb explaination from the story : it's not an adult dragon. Lol.

Edited by Pharaohz.3470
Space edit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8

17 minutes ago, Pharaohz.3470 said:

And icing on the cake, the biggest disappointment: the energy. Feels like i'm flying with a handicapped dragon that can't really fly. We can't reach the sky only the top of a big house. (full mastered ofc) What a jest. The dumb explaination from the story : it's not an adult dragon. Lol.

So if people get tired while/after running, it means they can't run? Because pretty sure that's what you've just said about that dragon's flying and pretty sure that's just false. Infinite unrestricted flight does nothing good for the gameplay, it simply trivializes it.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The acquisition method ensures that I will never have a Skyscale...and that is OK. There are things I have in game that others might choose to skip for the same reason.

It's not the most engaging gameplay, but I guess it's something to do besides grinding gold and unquestionably worth the effort.  But you do you. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Pharaohz.3470 said:

I think it's a great mount and appreciate the fact that they didn't make all other mounts obsolete by giving skyscale unrestricted flight.   Switching mounts and using their skills in combination is a lot of fun for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

It's not the most engaging gameplay, but I guess it's something to do besides grinding gold and unquestionably worth the effort.  But you do you. 

If I am going to spend my time not enjoying myself I will just pull some OT at work and have enough money for a vacation at the end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 1/12/2023 at 1:27 AM, Pharaohz.3470 said:

No, that's not the explanation. The one we fly is a mature skyscale but according to the lore they are not "bona fide" dragons. From the wiki"Skyscales are a new species of lesser dragons born from the Mists out of the disturbances caused by Kralkatorrik and Aurene. Similar to other lesser dragon species, like wyverns and drakes, while they are capable of consuming magic, they are not capable of ascending into Elder Dragons."

Sourced from Glory of Dragons (LWS4 Ep6) and Guild Chat Episode 83.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hudisgreat.8492 said:

I love my skyscale. I got it a long time ago, so l don't remember exactly how long l spent getting it. Maybe a month. I would hate this game too if l had tried to get it in 4 days. 

Same, it took me month or two of casual playing and I did other things too while at it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

ok and being lovey-dovey carebears in a game, where you slaughter animals, is much more "normal"

We all know you know those animals are bits of code, but the characters at the trading post are played by people.

But you go ahead and keep pretending  that griefing players is the same thing as killing pixels.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Skyscale is by far the most versatile mount in the game and is a straight upgrade to the springer. It is worth being locked behind so much because of how much better it is compared to all other mounts. Once you get the skyscale, other mount become niche situations, with springer and jackel being the worse offender. I only use springer for its cc dismount skill and jackel as a key for sand portals. I can understand why people do not understand how OP skyscale is because most players are so awful at the game they can not exploit the extreme benefits of the mount.

• Confused 1