Housing /building/ city

Balsa.3951

Anet has a nice track record of not just implementing known game mechanics  (Mounts) but taking them to the next level.

My suggestion 

Instead of individual housing let players built a city.

Means players own real land in a shared map. Few sqm are free more can be bought with gems or rewarded with ap.

City layout streets are designed by anet perhaps. 

Fun thing on it would be to see a ever growing changing city, with different seasons and day night circle.

Player can design the layout of their home build walls.

The outside of the house anet can let players buy with gems, but need keep a matching city feel. 

Thanks for read maybe other have more ideas. 

Edit the city can function as Eye of the north Aborstone style 

• Like 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Means players own real land in a shared map. Few sqm are free more can be bought with gems or rewarded with ap.

City layout streets are designed by anet perhaps. 

Fun thing on it would be to see a ever growing changing city, with different seasons and day night circle.

Seems like a huge resource investment for little-to-no actual gameplay value in return. Not only that, but if you want an actual city of players by players, it seems only the outskirts will be able to buy more land since the ones in the middle will already be surrounded by other players' buildings. Grand idea that's next to impossible to implement as far as I understand.

• Like 10
  • Confused 5

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Seems like a huge resource investment for little-to-no actual gameplay value in return. Not only that, but if you want an actual city of players by players, it seems only the outskirts will be able to buy more land since the ones in the middle will already be surrounded by other players' buildings. Grand idea that's next to impossible to implement as far as I understand.

Can always build high.

Game play like I said its comparable with Aborstone or Eye of the North.

A gamehub with something extra

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Can always build high.

I don't see how that responds to -or generally changes in any way- what I said.

Game play like I said its comparable with Aborstone or Eye of the North.

A gamehub with something extra

So something we already have in the game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

In fact it does think a little 

Connect the dots for me.

I'm saying "Not only that, but if you want an actual city of players by players, it seems only the outskirts will be able to buy more land since the ones in the middle will already be surrounded by other players' buildings. Grand idea that's next to impossible to implement as far as I understand." and you're respnding with "you can build up!". It doesn't change anything about the limitation and clear design flaw I was talking about.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Connect the dots for me.

I'm saying "Not only that, but if you want an actual city of players by players, it seems only the outskirts will be able to buy more land since the ones in the middle will already be surrounded by other players' buildings. Grand idea that's next to impossible to implement as far as I understand." and you're respnding with "you can build up!". It doesn't change anything about the limitation and clear design flaw I was talking about.

If everyone can only build high.

I know new ideas always get critic here thats ok.

Comments like we already have that forget we also head Main cities before eye of the north and after that we got Aborstone. Are they so useless and boring too?

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

If everyone can only build high

Ah, so the mention that the locked-in players "can always build high" was in fact backing out of the idea of players being able to buy more land. I still don't like the concept, as you see it's -as I previously said- a grand idea that's not exactly well thought out and doesn't make much of a return in terms of gameplay value.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ah, so the mention that the locked-in players "can always build high" was in fact backing out of the idea of players being able to buy more land.

Maybe u can do both im not a dev its just a suggestion for the devs. Not here to debate with u on details. U have a idea to add or just critic other pols idea up to u

Im more a fan of ideas 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Maybe u can do both im not a dev its just a suggestion for the devs. Not here to debate with u on details. U have a idea to add or just critic other pols idea up to u

Im more a fan of ideas 

Yes, I'm aware I can either like the idea or dislike the idea. In this case I pretty clearly dislike it and I pointed out how the basis of your "city made by players" concept plays against itself by incentivizing players to NOT settle next to each other, so their "potential future land expansion" isn't forever blocked by other players.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

How exactly is this supposed to work with instancing? You live in a city where you built your fancy Human aristocratic mansion with servants and a stable full of not-horses, then when you visit it the next time... that land plot is a run down hovel filled with Charr roleplayers sleeping 23h a day.

I rather liked the way you could build your own houses in Archeage and farm the land (well except the whole tax thing forcing you spend all the time and coin you had to keep it). But it only really works under a single world system.

• Haha 1

Very, very, VERY few players are interested in building or decorating stuff in the game . Go check out your guild halls and see for yourself. Your idea will need a lot of resources to implement yet no or very, very, VERY little monetary gain for ANet. Same for guild hall improvements and WvW, hence they are neglected or given very, very, VERY little attention all these years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Idk maybe someone already said this but its the same as with mounts. People were against it and with PoF anet made something unique and added them Into the game. Same with housing, maybe anet could create a unique style of housing aswell or honestly just rework the current home instances its either useless place now where people dont even bother to go or a node farm where most materials you get has such a minimal value.. like how much gold does full home instance harvesting even give you? Few gold maybe not even that??? Less than a gold? If you you convert it Into the gold ofc and if u have all of those harvesting nodes. Like compare the profit you getting from the harvesting to how much it costs to even get all the nodes. Its just a scam and a waste of gold and it just need an absolute rework, the whole current housing system.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, soul.9651 said:

where most materials you get has such a minimal value

Think of it long term and as a way to skip visiting LW maps to farm the currency in there. It gives you the opportunity to do other stuff in game if you don't have much time to play the game each day. Ez hop into home instance, harvest some stuff in 5-10 mins, move onto whatever else you like to do e.g. Raids, Strikes, Fractals...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Think of it long term and as a way to skip visiting LW maps to farm the currency in there. It gives you the opportunity to do other stuff in game if you don't have much time to play the game each day. Ez hop into home instance, harvest some stuff in 5-10 mins, move onto whatever else you like to do e.g. Raids, Strikes, Fractals...

Reaaallllyyy looong term.. and thats just for map currencies.. for crafting materials its straight up useless since you mentioned strikes raids and fracts where u gonna get enough gold  for all materials you need or materials themselfs aswell and at that point i just dont see how any harvesting nodes even can be usefull(ores like mithril and other materials used in crafting ). Most of them are just a gold sink if you dont know where to spend it.. 

Edited by soul.9651
  • Confused 1

Maybe a concept of "homelike" possibilities on all maps. Like if you're out in a remote outpost, there's a place you can go/setup/unlock that would be like visiting, but across the maps. As in, I have cousins living in a remote outpost in Snowden Drifts...sure overdue to visit. Maybe the cousins would be so happy to see me, they might give me a gift for showing up...a unique boon, or buff, or item...whatever. Just some random thoughts. This might be totally impractical, but it sounds like it might be fun if it could be implemented, and it would give ppl an excuse to visit older maps and maybe find something else worthwhile to do in those maps while they are there "visiting" the cousins.

Edited by AnClar.1304

14 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Yet another housing thread? Sigh. No thank you. I would rather Anet spend their resources elsewhere.

I think u keep necroinging ur old comments as well.

Its a suggestion about city building, didn't saw anyone yet with that topic. But if u have a link would be great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1