Game crashes after every PvP match [Merged]

I'm using a 6700 XT 12GB.

I looked through the crash dump and it appears the client is trying to load some lightning object at the end of the match and failing to find it, then crashing immediately after. Specifically the error logs say:

'LightningSetActionPoints: source action point 'purplestart' not found
Texture missing mip chain: 0x00e689
-Then it crashes

Changed my shader settings to high ( 6000 series AMD GPUs can easily handle high, I just prefer how the game looks on medium ), now it only crashes on matches my team loses instead of every single match.

3000 series Nvidia GPUs are comparable, so if they are also getting this crash bug then it's not a driver issue but some weird issue where the game is trying to load some asset that newer GPUs don't like.

Edited by Master Ketsu.4569
  • Like 1

As OP said, crashes on win at 500 before the podiums. This has been happening since the last patch and not before it. It is likely happening more often than what this forum presents based on map chat in the lobby.

I'd say the chance of a crash for me is roughly 40% per win based on 2 crashes in 5 wins today and about the same yesterday.

The maps crashed today were Temple of the Silent Storm and Skyhammer. I will also note the crashes seem specific to PvP as I've had no issue outside of it.

I've been running dx11 long before this last patch consistently with no issue except during the first beta. I don't think it's an issue with newer GPUs either as I am running 2x EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti FTW3s 11GB on an SLI bridge and never had problems.

Edited by GhostOfLegion.4289

On 1/17/2023 at 2:04 PM, ollbirtan.2915 said:

Same here. Win 10, a 40-50% chance of crashing after the match.  Surprisingly, the chance to crash seems much higher if I'm on the losing team. 

On 1/15/2023 at 6:03 AM, Jwake.7013 said:

yeah same thing happening to me, crashes right as my team reaches 500pts before going to the podium screen. windows 10, AMD Ryzen 7 3750H.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:13 AM, Master Ketsu.4569 said:

I'm using a 6700 XT 12GB.

I looked through the crash dump and it appears the client is trying to load some lightning object at the end of the match and failing to find it, then crashing immediately after. Specifically the error logs say:

'LightningSetActionPoints: source action point 'purplestart' not found
Texture missing mip chain: 0x00e689
-Then it crashes

Changed my shader settings to high ( 6000 series AMD GPUs can easily handle high, I just prefer how the game looks on medium ), now it only crashes on matches my team loses instead of every single match.

3000 series Nvidia GPUs are comparable, so if they are also getting this crash bug then it's not a driver issue but some weird issue where the game is trying to load some asset that newer GPUs don't like.

Relevant points:

-happens with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs;

-is not tied to OS version;

-anecdotally, it seems to happen more when players are on the losing end of the match;

-the game will alternatively crash prompting an error report or disconnect the player from the game and send them back to character select;

-altering GPU settings seems to have an affect on this, in at least some way;

-map agnostic

It's kind of amazing that this game shares the same engine as Guild Wars and I don't recall this happening in my 1,000+ hours playing Guild Wars. The only thing that I can imagine is that there's a bad path to something, but that would only explain crashes and no disconnects. This means it looks like there is something specific going on that has nothing to really do with our hardware or software, but rather the game client itself.

I know there are no guild wars in Guild Wars 2 a full decade past release and I know that PvP, in any format, really isn't something that ANet seems interested in developing/maintaining with this game a full decade past release, but this is a really interesting level of casual disrespect to PvP.  Try as I might to win games, it's a good thing I only play PvP for the reward tracks -if I took it seriously to any real degree, I'd have to be just as unbalanced as the game itself. 🙃

Edited by FuzzyBunny.1327
Clarity
  • Like 2

I have been having this issue as well. I don't believe it is has anything to do with computer specs. As I have a high end PC ( 17-1070KF, 16Gb ram, and a GTX 1080) which it crashes after almost ever PvP match as well as having the same issue on my brothers high end gaming laptop(Lenovo Legion) and my older gaming pc ( Using Windows 10 on all devices). This is just speculation but I think that it crashes when you input a bunch of different inputs right as the match ends. Ex like spamming the movements or hot keys because you are fighting someone when the match ends. I came to this conclusion because me and my bro will game right next to each other as we wreck face in PvP, and I noticed if one person was dead and not inputting any actions when the match ended their game would not crash. where as the person who was still alive and spamming buttons would have their game crash. Just a theory though Lmk what you guys think. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. Glhf 

Edited by wutang.2583

1 hour ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

Have any of you tried a "-repair" to see if the DAT file has an issue?  Did that for another player, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

See: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-repair

I'm attempting this to see if it resolves the issue. But some funny things happened on the way to the repair shop.

First up, I have the client on my D:\ and created the repair shortcut on my D:\, however the repair then created files directly to my desktop, which is C:\. This is annoying, but not terribly problematic because I can just grab all of the files and put them in D:\ again.

Second up, it looked like I only needed to repair 382MB and shortly thereafter it showed 784MB. At this point I realised I needed more coffee and was reading it wrong: I was being shown what I'd already downloaded, not what I needed to download. As I write this I'm at 1.044GB and counting, so it looks like I'm going to be downloading the entire client again because of the what the file architecture is built.

It reminds me of back in the day when I had a bug in GW where Ice Imps were casting blizzard on me at a resurrection shrine after I'd wiped from half the map away. Not only was the cast following me, but it was following me past LOS and beyond castable distance. Tech support said that I had to uninstall and reinstall the client, that it was the only way to fix that small bug because of the way the file architecture is build.

So...that looks like what will have to be done here because I installed the client to D:\ and the code prefers C:\. All things being equal, I can deal with the crashing and disconnects. #themoreyouknow 🙃

Edited by FuzzyBunny.1327
clarity

1 hour ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

Have any of you tried a "-repair" to see if the DAT file has an issue?  Did that for another player, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

See: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-repair

Yes, after your suggestion I repaired the client, it took about 5 min to repair then played a pvp game and after the first game I crashed 😞

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't seem to work, just for further context I am running it on steam.