New player experience - Action Camera Toggle too hidden.

Nyusei.8324

Hello 😄

So I'm writing this topic about the Action Camera because I was a player that got interested in the game when I heard this camera was available, I have been playing more and more MMORPGS and all of the recent ones I have played had this camera by default, so it became a "must" to enjoy the game, but I find it that like me, other people would enjoy this camera mode more, but it's too hidden to be new player friendly, there's no tutorial about it, there's nothing. I set up mine in the middle-mouse button because it is more like the other games, some others also use ALT for this.

So, after I heard new players complaining outside the game, I thought of doing a test ingame and try to help new players find this camera: https://imgur.com/a/zXvSX3M  

They loved it.

I think not only for the sake of the game retaining population but also for players that are looking for an action mmo and download GW2, this should be more visible or already set on a key from the start with a hint or tip. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

Action camera is a nice gimmic for immersion, and that's it.

This game's combat design isn't well implemented for this camera angle, therefore most players ditched it at end-game contents.

All you did is misleading new players that your preference is the better choice.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Action camera is a nice gimmic for immersion, and that's it.

This game's combat design isn't well implemented for this camera angle, therefore most players ditched it at end-game contents.

All you did is misleading new players that your preference is the better choice.

Not really, players have their own heads to choose, that's why I think that choice should be more visible.

The standard camera is "better" for you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree with the OP.  Action camera isn't my thing and never will be, but this game is filled with options people don't know and can't easily find out about, particularly if they don't know where to look. Seems to me that giving people an extra option isn't a bad thing.  I still think it should default to the current settings, but mentioning the action camera, is in my estimation long overdue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nyusei.8324 said:

Not really, players have their own heads to choose, that's why I think that choice should be more visible.

The standard camera is "better" for you.

There's a difference between giving player a choice and suggesting new player a specific choice.

Especially when that specific choice isn't refined enough to fit in a vast amount of contents, and usually inflict a skill gap issue that will be much more painful to revert should the player decided to continue their progression beyond low difficulty contents.

I agree that the option clutter should be sorted, and I'm not gonna stop you with your preferences, but I can't bring myself on the same boat of misleading something to a crowd who still trying to grasp the basic and only have a slight idea of what they're dealing with that option.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

There's a difference between giving player a choice and suggesting new player a specific choice.

Especially when that specific choice isn't refined enough to fit in a vast amount of contents, and usually inflict a skill gap issue that will be much more painful to revert should the player decided to continue their progression beyond low difficulty contents.

I agree that the option clutter should be sorted, and I'm not gonna stop you with your preferences, but I can't bring myself on the same boat of misleading something to a crowd who still trying to grasp the basic and only have a slight idea of what they're dealing with that option.

Yet again, you are making your own truth of what's better, if someone is misleading it's you who's putting in stone that one camera choice is the single one people should use. 

I use action camera for PVP and PVE, already someone replied to the post that they also use it with no problem.

So, your truth is not mine, or others.

Sharing that this option exists is good for the game because there's people that prefer the action camera over the other and might skip the game to one that has action camera without ever knowing GW also has that option.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Nyusei.8324 said:

Yet again, you are making your own truth of what's better, if someone is misleading it's you who's putting in stone that one camera choice is the single one people should use. 

I use action camera for PVP and PVE, already someone replied to the post that they also use it with no problem.

So, your truth is not mine, or others.

Sharing that this option exists is good for the game because there's people that prefer the action camera over the other and might skip the game to one that has action camera without ever knowing GW also has that option.

I'm not the one making this thread to demand developers making a suggestion, you did. I'm not the one prioritizing this mode a "must" to enjoy the game, you did. And finally I'm not the one making those whispers in to new players as in the screenshot, you did.

If anyone's making their own truth, or setting a stone. It is more likely you than me.

The debate about inhereting issues of action cam in this game is really an old, if not tiring topic of the past, in which I no longer bother to illustrate in detail.

And of course everyone can play PvE and PvP when performance isn't a requirement for entry, or even a skilled veteran with years of experience can raid/fractal with its limited FoV by relying on patterning prediction alone. We've heard it all before, none of it proved anything, it's still compromises.

On a side note, you can browse Youtube's entire list of GW2 videos, and see how if anyone even bother use that option for challenging contents. Throughout the years for what little streamer who even mentioned this mode mostly only stick to open world fighting easy enemies, for a good reason.

And finally, your own preference does not represent other players, it's really an over used tactic in this forum to claim that people will come or leave based on whether your wishes are granted, reality just don't work that way.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The action camera limits some actions, but for most players the loss is worth. I wouldn't like it as standard option (especially on builds with important AoE skills), but I'm not against some more visibility. I'm not even against the idea to add a click-to-move option, like in GW1, for more casual players. However there are only 4 tabs of options in GW2; I don't think the action camera is particularly hidden. Sure, a tutorial would help, like... for everything else, considering that the only tutorial that we have is to dodge to open that chest in the starting map.

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I'm not the one making this thread to demand developers making a suggestion, you did. I'm not the one prioritizing this mode a "must" to enjoy the game, you did. And finally I'm not the one making those whispers in to new players as in the screenshot, you did.

If anyone's making their own truth, or setting a stone. It is more likely you than me.

The debate about inhereting issues of action cam in this game is really an old, if not tiring topic of the past, in which I no longer bother to illustrate in detail.

And of course everyone can play PvE and PvP when performance isn't a requirement for entry, or even a skilled veteran with years of experience can raid/fractal with its limited FoV by relying on patterning prediction alone. We've heard it all before, none of it proved anything, it's still compromises.

On a side note, you can browse Youtube's entire list of GW2 videos, and see how if anyone even bother use that option for challenging contents. Throughout the years for what little streamer who even mentioned this mode mostly only stick to open world fighting easy enemies, for a good reason.

And finally, your own preference does not represent other players, it's really an over used tactic in this forum to claim that people will come or leave based on whether your wishes are granted, reality just don't work that way.

Yet again, you are derailing this thread.

My thread is simple, to raise awareness that  the action camera mode should be more visible for new players, because there are players that unlike you, prefer to play with it, that unlike you, will look for a game that uses it, regardless. 

What you are implying is that this awareness shouldn't exist because YOU think the standard camera is the best for everyone.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Urud.4925 said:

The action camera limits some actions, but for most players the loss is worth. I wouldn't like it as standard option (especially on builds with important AoE skills), but I'm not against some more visibility. I'm not even against the idea to add a click-to-move option, like in GW1, for more casual players. However there are only 4 tabs of options in GW2; I don't think the action camera is particularly hidden. Sure, a tutorial would help, like... for everything else, considering that the only tutorial that we have is to dodge to open that chest in the starting map.

True true, yeah I saying standardising in te way of how it's a toggleable thing, so even when you have it setup as an hotkey, you have access to the two cameras. 

There are games that I have played that give u two boxes when you first spawn your character with a mini explanation of the two camera modes and you just choose.

Idk, any tooltip would be better than nothing. XD

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I only like using action camera when I'm doing jumping puzzles and other things where I need to move the camera around a lot, so I don't have to hold down the right mouse button for a long time (because that sets off my RSI), but if I'm doing anything except looking around and moving I find it very awkward (especially combat) so I turn it off.

I don't think it's any more hidden than the games other options, as someone else said there's only 4 tabs, including keybinds. If they ever did add a detailed tutorial that expains all the different options it would be worth including, but I don't think this specific settings needs special attention.

• Like 3