Discussion about Lake Doric Farm possible?

Can we start having an honest, eye-to-eye discussion about what's going on in Lake Doric at the moment?

And maybe not have idle-enjoyers harp on active players or map completionists call every reaper a bot?

The current farm is affecting many players' map performance, what would be constructive solutions in your opinion?

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

11 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

I don't understand the need for that much leather but props to whatever weird shop these guys are planning that requires it.

I don't think it's about the leather farm that happens in the north-east of the map, but about these groups of necros with their minions standing in specific places where mobs come by/spawn to do afk farming.

Edited by Gehenna.3625

15 hours ago, Solstice.5790 said:

The current farm is affecting many players' map performance, what would be constructive solutions in your opinion?

It is quite simple.

The spawn area that these players are standing on is unlike any other on the map. It spawns multiple npcs very quickly, almost like an event that hasn't cleaned up properly after the event has occurred. No other spot on the map acts like this.

If it is a map event that is failing to clean up properly then sort it out. If it isn't related to an event either remove the spawn point from the map or reduce the amount of npcs spawned/increase the timer between spawns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Would simply making it so that AI doesn't count for tagging help?  I feel like that's how other games I've played handle this and it's odd to me that they continue to allow this when so many people are abusing it.

The problem is it's difficult to do that without also penalising legitimate players because some professions and builds rely on pets for a lot of their damage. If minions don't count for tagging then a minion master necromancer build is going to be at a disadvantage in normal combat, especially if there's a lot of people around because 1/2 their skills won't count.

It might be possible for Anet to do something like make it so the player has to hit the enemy with at least 1 'activated' skill like a weapon skill or a utility skill other than passive signets, minions etc. to be able to tag it. So if you hit it once then all your damage counts, whether it's direct or through minions, passive effects like the guardians Virtue of Justice or whatever, if you don't hit it then damage done by minions and other passive effects doesn't count.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The problem is it's difficult to do that without also penalising legitimate players because some professions and builds rely on pets for a lot of their damage. If minions don't count for tagging then a minion master necromancer build is going to be at a disadvantage in normal combat, especially if there's a lot of people around because 1/2 their skills won't count.

It might be possible for Anet to do something like make it so the player has to hit the enemy with at least 1 'activated' skill like a weapon skill or a utility skill other than passive signets, minions etc. to be able to tag it. So if you hit it once then all your damage counts, whether it's direct or through minions, passive effects like the guardians Virtue of Justice or whatever, if you don't hit it then damage done by minions and other passive effects doesn't count.

Seems like a minor concern, honestly.  If the solution you propose isn't possible, well, some builds are better at tagging than others, right?  Either way is better than allowing this ridiculous situation to continue.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

I mean, i won't say no to lower prices. 😛 Let them overflow the TP with cheap leather and other mats!

That just makes me not have to farm 10.000 gold for a legendary but 1.000 gold. 😛

Prices obviously inflated for effect. 😛

I get that it's not nice to see but, it's not affecting anyone THAT much, i mean, so what if your own mats won't fetch as much on the TP, your own gold amount just got more buying power now due to how little of it you have to spend to buy materials. The only inconvenience is when they come to metas and you can't join.

To that effect - the only thing that would make everyone happy is for players to be able to change instances of the map. Maybe not everyone, but if you want to do a map meta, let the commander be able to open a new map instance, and the squad follow to that instance.

That way, let the afk farmers do their thing - because let's face it, you're not getting rid of them, that's not such a fixable problem without real people in game that handle this. And automating any stuff like standing still, in/out combat, skill durations and deployement detection would just inconvenience legit players.

That would also help with Dragon's End meta - as the main problem is that the map is split between normal roaming players doing map completion and exploring, fishing players, and meta players. And it doesn't get well and promotes toxicity. How that design choice made it past the team that made EoD is beyond me, but let's not go there.

Back to topic - let commanders take their entire squad to a new map instance - everyone's happy - promotes squad making and grouping up. For timed metas and bosses, just open a new instance when the boss is about to show up, let everyone who's in the squad port to that instance, everyone is there for the exact same reason, no bots, not exploreres, no nothing. Buff the bosses as well, make it interesting.

There's a solution to this, just requires Anet to fix the party/squad system a bit, give players more tools to work with. I mean, LFG is extremely basic, you have no control over anything, some of this stuff is pretty outdated, and for the design principle they're implementing - not working anymore. It used to work when central tyria is all there was, but if Anet is going the way of big open world metas that you need a full trained squad to coordinate and finish - that are extremely disrupted by afk farmers, explorers adn fishers, let people make their own instance. Solves everything!

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Seems like a minor concern, honestly.  If the solution you propose isn't possible, well, some builds are better at tagging than others, right?  Either way is better than allowing this ridiculous situation to continue.

I main ranger almost exclusively.  This would not be a minor concern for me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

I main ranger almost exclusively.  This would not be a minor concern for me. 

So what?  I play sword weaver.  I can't tag half the stuff that spawns in an open world squad.  Some builds are better for tagging than others.  Allowing AI to tag without any input from the player is just asking to be abused.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

So what?  I play sword weaver.  I can't tag half the stuff that spawns in an open world squad.  Some builds are better for tagging than others.  Allowing AI to tag without any input from the player is just asking to be abused.

Maybe, but it also helps some people who maybe can't play a piano build, aren't feeling like playing a piano that day and just wanna chill, or are disadvantaged somehow.

There needs to be a variety of builds in the game, more active ones and more passive ones, to accomodate what a variety of people like.

Nerfing some build or something because "it might be abused" is basically "let US abuse you directly, so that other players might not", and it's solving a problem by creating another one... Not ideal.

Just let people get away from the "problem" and have control over their experience, not feel like they're "stuck" in an instance where afk farmers are.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Sword weaver.  Good for you.  I was only saying that the comment of it being a minor concern is not necessarily a minor concern for every player, especially those whose preferred profession has such a mechanic.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Maybe, but it also helps some people who maybe can't play a piano build, aren't feeling like playing a piano that day and just wanna chill, or are disadvantaged somehow.

There needs to be a variety of builds in the game, more active ones and more passive ones, to accomodate what a variety of people like.

Nerfing some build or something because "it might be abused" is basically "let US abuse you directly, so that other players might not", and it's solving a problem by creating another one... Not ideal.

Just let people get away from the "problem" and have control over their experience, not feel like they're "stuck" in an instance where afk farmers are.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a game to require input from the player.  There's a lot of space between "piano" and having to push a button to tag an enemy.

Edit: I also think it's completely bonkers that anyone could disagree with this.  What are we?  A mobile game where you pay to have the game play itself?  How did this ever become a thing?  Just kittening sad, imo.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, Solstice.5790 said:

Most likely solution is they just lower the map cap, assuming all of the pets are actually causing server lag, or they could probably limit the number of pets per instance.

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Would simply making it so that AI doesn't count for tagging help?

It would have no effect, as they'd just use builds that included AoE. If ArenaNet wanted to, they could stop this game-wide whenever they wanted to. It's odd that even bother investigating when it could be easily automated.